Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 7:14:19 AM EDT
If 'Bama fans can let compassion take priority over Tide Pride, I guess there may still be hope for the Republic...

www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/112556637847380.xml&coll=1

Alabama asks fans to give hotel rooms to hurricane refugees

Thursday, September 01, 2005
By PAUL GATTIS
Times Sports Staff [email protected]

TUSCALOOSA - Fans with hotel reservations for Alabama's home game Saturday against Middle Tennessee State are being asked to surrender those rooms for refugees of Hurricane Katrina.

In an e-mail sent Wednesday to more than 50,000 season ticket holders and financial supporters, athletic director Mal Moore asked for fans to give up their hotel rooms.

"Due to the tremendous influx of evacuees from Hurricane Katrina, area hotels are booked," Moore wrote. "We are asking our fans who have reservations here this weekend to check with their respective hotels and, if needed, allow that room to be utilized by evacuees."

The statement by the school was made in conjunction with the Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama, the city of Tuscaloosa, the Tuscaloosa Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Tuscaloosa Area Hospitality Management Association.

"The human tragedy as a result of Katrina is staggering and I know Crimson Tide fans will do what they can to help those who are not able to immediately return to their homes," Moore wrote.

School officials will be working in concert with the American Red Cross at the game to collect donations for hurricane victims. The UA student recreation center has been serving as a Red Cross shelter for hundreds of evacuees since Sunday.

Yes, I have tongue planted firmly in cheek as I post this - I figured we could any excuse to chuckle about now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top