Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2013 5:07:43 PM EDT
Are they really cesspools of crime as suggested below?

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Anderson-Indiana.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Muncie-Indiana.html

Vs

My hometown.

I was thinking about maybe buying a house up there, the prices look good but maybe this is why?
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, those cities are absolute dumps. There is a reason why the housing is cheap.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
they suck....live in the country if you can.  i lived north of muncie when i grew up.  you couldnt pay me to live there
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

they suck....live in the country if you can. i lived north of muncie when i grew up. you couldnt pay me to live there
View Quote

My income requires access to 21st century telecom, so living in the sticks isn't a possibility.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking and elsewhere. Even the homes in FT Wayne and Indianapolis that look nice(Based on what the realtor listing) are in undesirable areas. Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What is your price range?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What is your price range?
View Quote

Not high enough apparently.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Columbia City
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to Anderson for an interview......called the company after I was driving around the area and said no thanks. A dump it is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My income requires access to 21st century telecom, so living in the sticks isn't a possibility.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking and elsewhere. Even the homes in FT Wayne and Indianapolis that look nice(Based on what the realtor listing) are in undesirable areas. Oh well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they suck....live in the country if you can. i lived north of muncie when i grew up. you couldnt pay me to live there

I grew up in Columbus and would go back. It's a nice town. There's another thread here about it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I've lived in Muncie and the surrounding area twice in the last 40 years. I guess you could say it's kinda dumpy but I kinda liked it. It certainly gives you a reason to carry.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Any particular reason for anderson/muncie areas? If communications are the only real requirement then theres several other communities and homes all over the state that are a lot nicer. Muncie I always felt like I needed a shower after driver through... anderson... well i didnt come to a complete stop often around there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've lived in Muncie and the surrounding area twice in the last 40 years. I guess you could say it's kinda dumpy but I kinda liked it. It certainly gives you a reason to carry.

View Quote

I have some family in the Yorktown area close to Muncie. It's pretty nice there.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i currently live in the "sticks" and have high speed wireless in my house so thats not too bad
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Grant County is a decent area. Just north of Anderson by 25 miles.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I grew up in Columbus and would go back. It's a nice town. There's another thread here about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

Columbus is a nice town.  Check out Batesville/Oldenburg too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Vs

My hometown.

I was thinking about maybe buying a house up there, the prices look good but maybe this is why?
View Quote

Since nobody else picked up on it I'll go ahead and be the one to ask.

Why move from Virginia Beach to Muncie?

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vs

My hometown.

Well I saw homes were a lot cheaper up that way but after a bit of research I know why, no one with money wants to live there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^^This^^^^^ Not a lot of jobs or things to do though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Muncie - arm pit of Indiana
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Pendleton is a great town. I'm between Anderson and Pendleton, very nice area. The further south of Anderson you get, the better it is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#20]
There are plenty of 15 - 20 mile range edge of Indy type properties.  5 acre parcels all over with no neighbors.  The internet is fine over most parts of the mid-state.  Get a R5 parcel and tax exemption.  Walk out your back door and blast till your heart;s content.  (proper backstop required, its flat as hell around here).
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha! It's a bigger shithole than Anderson. This place has been going down hill for 25 years and has been on a fast track down the toliet bowl for the last 10!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ha! It's a bigger shithole than Anderson. This place has been going down hill for 25 years and has been on a fast track down the toliet bowl for the last 10!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I said no jobs and nothing to do, but the county areas are fine.... I come to down to work and get the hell back home... out in the middle of nowhere!  Out in the county everyone minds their own business.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I said Grant County, not Marion, lol

I can't wait till I can move out of this city. Although my location is in a pretty decent part of the town.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#24]
My sister and brother in law live in Lake County(Northwest Indiana.) Close enough to Chicago for job opportunities, you have the beach, lake and also very decent housing.   I've never been to Muncie or Anderson so I can't really comment on that area, but I spend a lot of time in Northwest Indiana.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My sister and brother in law live in Lake County(Northwest Indiana.) Close enough to Chicago for job opportunities, you have the beach, lake and also very decent housing.   I've never been to Muncie or Anderson so I can't really comment on that area, but I spend a lot of time in Northwest Indiana.

View Quote
No offense Dave but there would be no way in heck I'd move to Lake County.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None taken.  I'd move to Southern Indiana myself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#27]
YAY!!!!

We finally had a thread reach two pages!!!!

YAY!!!!

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

YAY!!!!

YAY!!!!

View Quote
Break out the champagne.

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second the notion of avoiding "the region".
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
YAY!!!!

YAY!!!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2013 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#31]
2 pages of arfcom on Anderson Indiana is the most positive news reporting this city's had in decades.

Link Posted: 12/26/2013 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's why I said no jobs and nothing to do, but the county areas are fine.... I come to down to work and get the hell back home... out in the middle of nowhere!  Out in the county everyone minds their own business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, out in the middle of now where defines almost this whole state. Many places like that with many reasonable priced homes to choose from. If the county seat has nothing to offer (jobs, places to eat and shop) but crime then it and it's bounderies is a shit hole IMHO. I have traveled many a counties in the state and I have seen many of beautiful small towns as the county seat but none of them offered any decent paying jobs or had anything to do, I guess that is why their communities remained small. And I say that is why this one is shrinking....
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I grew up in NW Indiana worked on the Sheriffs Dept.Muncie and Anderson would be a no go.Lake County is close to everything.Great if you dont vote,very corrupt Politically.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Three years ago next month we moved from Manassas Va to south of Parker city, 10 miles or so from Muncie.
bought a small farm and haven't looked back yet!
While I defer to the Gents who have lived here all their lives, Delaware county is not a bad place to be.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Three years ago next month we moved from Manassas Va to south of Parker city, 10 miles or so from Muncie.
While I defer to the Gents who have lived here all their lives, Delaware county is not a bad place to be.
View Quote

Rural Indiana isn't bad.  Living inside cities like Anderson, Muncie and New Castle is completely different.  These are communities that have had serious contractions due to the auto industry pulling out.  I'd have loved to have seen these places in their hay day (30 years ago).  
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Rural Indiana isn't bad.  Living inside cities like Anderson, Muncie and New Castle is completely different.  These are communities that have had serious contractions due to the auto industry pulling out.  I'd have loved to have seen these places in their hay day (30 years ago).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in the Muncie area in the early 1970s. That was the beginning of the end of the automotive era.  Warner Gear was starting to collapse, Delco Remy in Anderson was having labor problems, the Delco Battery Plant in Muncie was closing, there were probably two dozen other smaller manufacturing business in trouble that I don't remember much about. I maintained the burglar alarms for a lot of them. Very interesting times.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Look a little further south to Greenfield. It is where I am located. Much better then muncie or anderson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top