Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2011 1:00:51 AM EDT
Who has them that wouldn't mind helping me create one. I am pretty ignorant on the matter, but want to start getting a suppressor.

Can I create a trust NOW, but wait a few months to do my first form?

Do I need fingerprints/photo for the first one, all of them, none of them?

What does having a trust do for when i am filing my income taxes? Does this effect it anyway?

The more I read into this, the more I become discoraged.  I don't have the $$ to pay hundreds of dollars to an attorney.  How do you guys that have them do it?  Just go the "prepackaged software" route, and "hope" everything is correct?  Is there any lawyers in Indiana that do this sort of work for just a couple hundred or is that wishful thinking.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I used a Suzy Orman CD/DVD to help me make my Revokable Living Trust. Was relatively simple. Might even find a tepmlate online or @ library. So far I have 3 cans on it & am waiting for my MG stamp.

When you buy NFA items on a trust, the trust is what owns them. Whomever is named in the trust (me & my wife, for example) can possess the item(s) (that's the reason I did mine). You still fill out the federal forms, but you send a copy of the trust in the the NFA Branch with your $5/$200 check. You don't need the photo, prints or LEO signature.

I'm by no means an expert, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'll answer what I know & tell you if I don't know something.

Good luck. I beat my head on tthe wall for awhile trying to figure it out as much as I've been able to, so far.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who has them that wouldn't mind helping me create one. I am pretty ignorant on the matter, but want to start getting a suppressor.

Can I create a trust NOW, but wait a few months to do my first form? Yes, there's no timeframe on purchasing anything after you form your trust.
Do I need fingerprints/photo for the first one, all of them, none of them? No prints, photos or CLEO for anything at any time.
What does having a trust do for when i am filing my income taxes? Does this effect it anyway? No effect on your income taxes at all.

The more I read into this, the more I become discoraged.  I don't have the $$ to pay hundreds of dollars to an attorney.  How do you guys that have them do it?  Just go the "prepackaged software" route, and "hope" everything is correct?  Is there any lawyers in Indiana that do this sort of work for just a couple hundred or is that wishful thinking.

Answered above. No help on a cheap attorney. Trusts are pretty simple. The software route is just fine. You just need to do a LITTLE research online as to what constitutes a legal trust in Indiana. States all have different requirements. There's no need for a "NFA-specific" trust. Some people like that because it contains instructions on the disposition of the assets after the passing of the grantor, but you can write that up on your own on a separate page and keep it with the trust. As long as it meets the legal requirement of a trust in Indiana, you are good to go.

Also, make sure the name of your trust is short, as you will have to engrave the whole name on anything you Form 1. (First, middle initial, last name Trust is a good way to go). Make sure "Revokable Living" is taken out of the trust name.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
tagging for future info
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I create a trust NOW, but wait a few months to do my first form? Yes, there's no timeframe on purchasing anything after you form your trust.

Do I need fingerprints/photo for the first one, all of them, none of them? No prints, photos or CLEO for anything at any time.

What does having a trust do for when i am filing my income taxes? Does this effect it anyway? No effect on your income taxes at all.

The more I read into this, the more I become discoraged. I don't have the $$ to pay hundreds of dollars to an attorney. How do you guys that have them do it? Just go the "prepackaged software" route, and "hope" everything is correct? Is there any lawyers in Indiana that do this sort of work for just a couple hundred or is that wishful thinking.

Answered above. No help on a cheap attorney. Trusts are pretty simple. The software route is just fine. You just need to do a LITTLE research online as to what constitutes a legal trust in Indiana. States all have different requirements. There's no need for a "NFA-specific" trust. Some people like that because it contains instructions on the disposition of the assets after the passing of the grantor, but you can write that up on your own on a separate page and keep it with the trust. As long as it meets the legal requirement of a trust in Indiana, you are good to go.

Also, make sure the name of your trust is short, as you will have to engrave the whole name on anything you Form 1. (First, middle initial, last name Trust is a good way to go). Make sure "Revokable Living" is taken out of the trust name.

Does that apply to suppressors as well, or just for SBR, MG's
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The more I read into this, the more I become discoraged. I don't have the $$ to pay hundreds of dollars to an attorney. How do you guys that have them do it? Just go the "prepackaged software" route, and "hope" everything is correct? Is there any lawyers in Indiana that do this sort of work for just a couple hundred or is that wishful thinking.

SBR

Form 1 is an "Application to Make and Register a Firearm"

Suppressors do have to be engraved but I believe one of the specific FFL's is required to do so. Its not something I partake in, so I couldnt tell you any further about that.. If you buy it off the shelf as most of us do, the can is put under a Form 4 transfer.

Im sure the same goes for an MG. If you buy it under a Form 4 with a 16''+ bbl and what to chop it to under 16''. Im thinking the Form 1 would apply, along with the engraving. Once agian, dont own an MG so this is purely speculation. Someone will chime in and see if I gave you good advice.    
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SBR

Suppressors do have to be engraved but I believe one of the specific FFL's is required to do so. Its not something I partake in, so I couldnt tell you any further about that.. If you buy it off the shelf as most of us do, the can is put under a Form 4 transfer.

Im sure the same goes for an MG. If you buy it under a Form 4 with a 16''+ bbl and what to chop it to under 16''. Im thinking the Form 1 would apply, along with the engraving. Once agian, dont own an MG so this is purely speculation. Someone will chime in and see if I gave you good advice.    

NFA on a Form 1 must be engraved by the manufacturer.  The entity (you, a trust, or a corp) that is manufacturing the firearm whether it be a homemade SBR or suppressor (since those are mentioned in this thread) will have to engrave their name, city, and state on the item.  

MGs will be bought on a Form 4 and temporary and permanent changes are generally allowed (i.e. you can swap uppers on your M16, but you can't change your MAC into an M60).  There is no need to buy two tax stamps for a MG with a barrel <16".  The MG will be engraved with the manufacturer's name, city, and state.  No need to add your name.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR

NFA on a Form 1 must be engraved by the manufacturer.  The entity (you, a trust, or a corp) that is manufacturing the firearm whether it be a homemade SBR or suppressor (since those are mentioned in this thread) will have to engrave their name, city, and state on the item.  

MGs will be bought on a Form 4 and temporary and permanent changes are generally allowed (i.e. you can swap uppers on your M16, but you can't change your MAC into an M60).  There is no need to buy two tax stamps for a MG with a barrel <16".  The MG will be engraved with the manufacturer's name, city, and state.  No need to add your name.

I forgot this tid bit. You can SBR a MG and not need another stamp? Say if you bought it out of state you would need to pay the 200 for the MG and the 200 for the SBR. Im I figuring that correctly?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBR

I forgot this tid bit. You can SBR a MG and not need another stamp? Say if you bought it out of state you would need to pay the 200 for the MG and the 200 for the SBR. Im I figuring that correctly?

Interstate NFA needs to go through a dealer in your state of residence (Seller -> Dealer, Form 3 (IIRC) -> Buyer, Form 4) .  FTF within your state of residence is allowed on a Form 4.

Buying a transferable Colt M16 (with a 20" upper) and temporarily tossing on a short barrel is fine.  If a permanent change is going to take place, the BATFE should be notified of the permanent change so they can update the registry.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyway, in an attempt to return this thread to its origins, we have an NFA section in the ARMORY tab that will answer these questions.

Teach a man to fish and all that...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Anyway, in an attempt to return this thread to its origins, we have an NFA section in the ARMORY tab that will answer these questions.

Teach a man to fish and all that...

I've spent a bunch of time over there looking.  All over the web actually, but things are going to differ from state to state regarding trusts.

I was curious what people in Indiana have done when going the trust route.  I will most likely just attempt the software route, and hope it flies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Another question....

Once I create my trust and it's notorized, is that it.  It is then a trust, or must it be filed with the county courts?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR

Interstate NFA needs to go through a dealer in your state of residence (Seller -> Dealer, Form 3 (IIRC) -> Buyer, Form 4) .  FTF within your state of residence is allowed on a Form 4.

Buying a transferable Colt M16 (with a 20" upper) and temporarily tossing on a short barrel is fine.  If a permanent change is going to take place, the BATFE should be notified of the permanent change so they can update the registry.

A Class3 will still have to hold onto it until the paperwork came back, right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBR

A Class3 will still have to hold onto it until the paperwork came back, right?

The seller, whether that is an individual or FFL, holds it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top