Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 12:33:03 PM EDT
AAR: I managed to lose my lifetime handgun carry card sometime before the weekend of 8/26.  Went to in.gov/isp, printed the "Duplicate Handgun License Request" form.  Pretty simple form, just name, address, DOB and SSN, and a $20 cashiers check.  Sent it in Monday 8/28 regular mail, got it back today, issued 9/13.  Thanks to ISP for the prompt response and lack of red tape, especially what with a holiday weekend in there and the recent surge of licensing.  Felt weird not to be carrying (It's illegal to carry without the card actually with you, even if you're licensed).  Take a moment to check and make sure yours is in your wallet, everybody.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
AAR: I managed to lose my lifetime handgun carry card sometime before the weekend of 8/26.  Went to in.gov/isp, printed the "Duplicate Handgun License Request" form.  Pretty simple form, just name, address, DOB and SSN, and a $20 cashiers check.  Sent it in Monday 8/28 regular mail, got it back today, issued 9/13.  Thanks to ISP for the prompt response and lack of red tape, especially what with a holiday weekend in there and the recent surge of licensing.  Felt weird not to be carrying (It's illegal to carry without the card actually with you, even if you're licensed).  Take a moment to check and make sure yours is in your wallet, everybody.

You mean you didn't make copies of it then keep the original in a safe place? Most everybody I know does this. Make copies, sign the copies individually, laminate copies, don't touch the original. Mine is still in the exact same state as it was when it came from ISP, even in the original envelope safely stored.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I assumed you had to have the original.  I just looked up the code:

Link
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

That's not totally clear to me, but "a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession" suggests to me that you need to have the original, literally the "license issued".  

Maybe I'm being over cautious, but I'm thinking you'd get ticketed if, say, you tried to hand over a xerox of your driver's license at a traffic stop (though DL's have more security features than the Indiana hand gun license).  In that example:

Link
Reproduction of driver's license
    Sec. 11. (a) The commissioner may enter into a contract or an agreement authorizing a person to create and use a reproduction of a driver's license issued under this article.
   (b) A person may not create or use a reproduction of a driver's license issued under this article unless the creation or use of the
reproduction is expressly authorized in writing by the commissioner. The commissioner may impose under IC 4-21.5 a civil penalty upon a person who violates this subsection. The amount of a civil penalty imposed under this subsection:
       (1) shall be determined by the commissioner; and
       (2) may not exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
   (c) Money paid to the bureau as:
       (1) compensation to the state under a contract or an agreement entered into under subsection (a); or
       (2) a civil penalty imposed under subsection (b);
shall be collected and deposited according to IC 9-29-1-1.
As added by P.L.115-1993, SEC.8.

I didn't see any law specifically restricting reproductions of carry licenses, though.  Maybe overcautious, but I don't feel the need to be the guy to find out, either.  Anybody have a definitive word?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of folks copy their license to carry using the same commonly found pink paper.   I think there was a thread about that at INGO.com.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I made copies.  Staples carries the same paper that the ISP uses.  I wrapped mine in packing tape to keep it intact in my wallet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lots of folks copy their license to carry using the same commonly found pink paper.   I think there was a thread about that at INGO.com.

Ask and ye shall receive

Cliff notes: IN doesn't say that you can't copy the license, any prosecution would be up to your county. In this case, many feel that a "copy" would be treated sort of like a driver's license and if the officer notices that its a copy, you'll have a chance to produce the real thing to them at a later time/date/location.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry my original as well. I just moved though. What do I need to do to have my address changed?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]
use pink 20# bond paper, staples made me 5 copies on pink and laminated them all for $6.00
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I carry my original as well. I just moved though. What do I need to do to have my address changed?

Same thing OP did. The form is basically the same. You simply check the box corresponding to which situation applies. You have to inform "them" of an adress change within 60 days of the move, I believe. But you don't actually have to get a new CCW permit with the new address on it. We just did this because who wants Gomer pulling you over and starting crap because the address on the permit doesn't match the address on record?

For those that make copies, what distinguishes the original from the copies?  (FWIW, the moron at the Kinko's wouldn't let us make a copy while there.)  There is nothing on the original that wouldn't transfer over to the copy such as a watermark or embossing to differentiate it.  So what's the point in keeping the "original" intact after copying it, and then cutting/laminating the copy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thing OP did. The form is basically the same. You simply check the box corresponding to which situation applies. You have to inform "them" of an adress change within 60 days of the move, I believe. But you don't actually have to get a new CCW permit with the new address on it. We just did this because who wants Gomer pulling you over and starting crap because the address on the permit doesn't match the address on record?

For those that make copies, what distinguishes the original from the copies?  (FWIW, the moron at the Kinko's wouldn't let us make a copy while there.)  There is nothing on the original that wouldn't transfer over to the copy such as a watermark or embossing to differentiate it.  So what's the point in keeping the "original" intact after copying it, and then cutting/laminating the copy?

I did this yesterday. Thanks. I even got the girlfriend to get get her limetime. We mailed the paperwork for both today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top