Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:34:18 PM EDT
I am an IL resident.  

1)Do I need a FOID card to purchase a firearm in IN?  Keep in mind I am under 21

2)If I do move to IN, I do not need a FOID card, just a
DL or ID?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
1. I'm not sure about Illinois law, but would assume that a FOID card is needed to POSSESS a firearm, not just purchase one.

2. In Indiana, nothing is needed except to be a non-felon. You'll need ID to purchase from a dealer, but nothing is needed for a private face-to-face transfer between same-state residents.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1. I'm not sure about Illinois law, but would assume that a FOID card is needed to POSSESS a firearm, not just purchase one.

As far as I know, yes you need a FOID to possess, and it is required to purchase ammunition as well.  

2. In Indiana, nothing is needed except to be a non-felon. You'll need ID to purchase from a dealer, but nothing is needed for a private face-to-face transfer between same-state residents.

Thanks M4Madness.

Is IN the same is IL in the regard that you must be over 21 to do handgun purchases from a dealer, but long guns and handguns are fine FTF?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I know, yes you need a FOID to possess, and it is required to purchase ammunition as well.  

Thanks M4Madness.

Is IN the same is IL in the regard that you must be over 21 to do handgun purchases from a dealer, but long guns and handguns are fine FTF?

Yeah.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks M4Madness.

Yeah.

That's what I thought.  I remember seeing a thread-but I was not sure.  

Thanks for refreshing my memory.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
i know you can buy a long gun from a neighboring state (seem a lot of buddies do it), but i am pretty sure you can buy a handgun if you are out of state.

RoseMech
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Deej, an Indiana dealer is required to follow the law of the state you live in, therefore, you must have the FOID card to purchase firearms in IN as well as IL.  On the border, WalMart's computer prompts the cashier to ask for a FOID card even for ammuntion purchases from IL residents.  I've had it happen in Sullivan, Princeton, and Terre Haute, IN when buying ammo.  So, if you are an Illinazi, and even want ammo in IN, you still need the card.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Deej, an Indiana dealer is required to follow the law of the state you live in, therefore, you must have the FOID card to purchase firearms in IN as well as IL.  On the border, WalMart's computer prompts the cashier to ask for a FOID card even for ammuntion purchases from IL residents.  I've had it happen in Sullivan, Princeton, and Terre Haute, IN when buying ammo.  So, if you are an Illinazi, and even want ammo in IN, you still need the card.

But I only need an ID if I move here and establish residency here?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
and a feloney free record
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
and a feloney free record

Yeah, I'm clean.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
That is correct, we don't have anything like a FOID card here. Once you establish residency and get an ID, you can buy a firearm. If you have an Indiana License to Carry a Handgun; this will exempt you from the ISP background check on handguns, but NICS will still have to be called. Plus, you have the benefit of being able to carry unlike the Peoples' Republic of Illinois.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That is correct, we don't have anything like a FOID card here. Once you establish residency and get an ID, you can buy a firearm. If you have an Indiana License to Carry a Handgun; this will exempt you from the ISP background check on handguns, but NICS will still have to be called. Plus, you have the benefit of being able to carry unlike the Peoples' Republic of Illinois.

I knew already that you guys have CCW
Thanks you all for the help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#12]
And that CCW is so easy and cheap to get! Best of luck!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And that CCW is so easy and cheap to get! Best of luck!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#14]
You should just plan on moving to IN asap and it looks like all your problems will go away
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You should just plan on moving to IN asap and it looks like all your problems will go away

I think I may have mentioned this here before, I'm considering transferring to IU or Indiana State after I get out of junior college.

Now I am assuming CCW is shall issue?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I may have mentioned this here before, I'm considering transferring to IU or Indiana State after I get out of junior college.

Now I am assuming CCW is shall issue?

You are correct, Indiana is a shall issue state.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure if im reading you correctly or not but do your home work if your a student planning on attending a Indiana univeristy  or Indiana State.  Indiana carry permits have a law stating that carring a firearm or handgun on the property of a school or college campus or a gov building or property is illeagle and now allowed, is what i have been told by local poloice and state police personel.  So do you home work before you do any carring on campus all depends on where you live if it is off campus your prob good to go but not on campus.  It plainly states in campus rules that firearms are NOT permitted on the property at IU for sure ,my daughter goes there and i have the university rules in front of me.  Something t othink about and check out ok. Go the the NRA site and go to the Indiana site and do some research.  Welcome to Indiana in advance if you decide to come.
Breaking the permit to carry unlimitted rules in Indiana could and prob would forfit your right to carry in Indiana starting at the moment you get cought and maybe even for life in Indiana so please check out the rules and regs and carry saftly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not sure if im reading you correctly or not but do your home work if your a student planning on attending a Indiana univeristy  or Indiana State.  Indiana carry permits have a law stating that carring a firearm or handgun on the property of a school or college campus or a gov building or property is illeagle and now allowed, is what i have been told by local poloice and state police personel.  So do you home work before you do any carring on campus all depends on where you live if it is off campus your prob good to go but not on campus.  It plainly states in campus rules that firearms are NOT permitted on the property at IU for sure ,my daughter goes there and i have the university rules in front of me.  Something t othink about and check out ok. Go the the NRA site and go to the Indiana site and do some research.  Welcome to Indiana in advance if you decide to come.
Breaking the permit to carry unlimitted rules in Indiana could and prob would forfit your right to carry in Indiana starting at the moment you get cought and maybe even for life in Indiana so please check out the rules and regs and carry saftly.

I checked the site for IU and it says no guns...I'm sure Indy State or any other college in IN is the same FWIW.  

I hope to come...It may not be for another year but I hope to make it past the barbed wire...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top