Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 7:36:39 AM EDT
Brought to my attention by Indiana Predator Central.

Linky
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this the season for stupid bills or what...
Why can't they fix my property taxes instead of monkeying around with stupid crap like this.

It is really getting time for some house cleaning in Indiana.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's hope that it doesn't have a chance in hell of passing. Next thing you know, we'll have to leave our firearms at a central armory and check 'em out when we want to shoot them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Let's hope that it doesn't have a chance in hell of passing. Next thing you know, we'll have to leave our firearms at a central armory and check 'em out when we want to shoot them.

I sure wouldn't think that it has a chance
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
If we don't want it to pass, we need to send letters and make phone calls.

E-mails are not as effective, by the way.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
So, right now is it legal to have rifle/shotgun loaded, in arms reach in your vehicle? Can anyone point me to a link in the IN code if it's not.

This bill is not good. Need to write some letters but I'm not sure who to write them to. I've only written to US senators before, not state.

Rhino, are you a politician by any chance?

Gump
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, right now is it legal to have rifle/shotgun loaded, in arms reach in your vehicle? Can anyone point me to a link in the IN code if it's not.

This bill is not good. Need to write some letters but I'm not sure who to write them to. I've only written to US senators before, not state.

Gump

Who's your legislator?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
upon further review after looking through my above link, this is no longer under consideration.

If you click on Indiana elected legislators at the bottom of the page then go to Mays or Day it shows them as sponser and cosponser, but the bill is in gray, no longer in consideration.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's hope this one makes it

On Wednesday, January 25, the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee passed House Bill 1028 by an overwhelming vote of 7-1.  Sponsored by Representative Eric Koch (R-65), HB 1028 protects your right to have a firearm in a locked vehicle, as well as affirms your right to self-defense by removing the "duty to retreat" in the face of a criminal attack!

This important self-defense legislation will be heard on the House floor soon!

It is critical that you contact your State Representative at (800) 382-9842 and ask him or her to support HB 1028!

Also, we would like to thank Representative Eric Koch ([email protected]) for his leadership on this bill, as well as those committee members who voted in favor of HB 1028.  

House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee

All committee members can be reached at (800) 382-9842

Chairman, Representative Bill Ruppel (R-22)

E-mail:  [email protected]

Vice Chair Representative Billy Bright (R-69)

Representative Woody Burton (R-58)

Representative Suzanne Crouch (D-78)

E-mail:   [email protected]

Representative Dick Dodge (R-51)

Representative Cleo Duncan (R-67)

Representative Mike Murphy (R-90)

Representative Vern Tincher (D-46)

Representative Bob Bischoff (D-68)

For further contact information please use the "Write Your Representatives" tool at www.NRAILA.org.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Gump

Gump ... I'm not a politician, but I am politically active!  Heck, I might be a politician some day ...

And of course I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.  <--- obligatory disclaimer

You are correct that at the present time you may have long guns in your vehicle, loaded or not.  The law is silent on this.  The only laws pertaining to long guns are hunting regulations, including the rule that your long gun must be unloaded when you are operating an off road vehicle.  I'm not sure which of those rules are criminal and which are administrative, as there are some gray areas there.

In the future, the persons to contact and write letters with respect to Indiana legislation would be your elected representative and your state senator.  You should be able to find both using your zip code somewhere on the Indiana web site.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
upon further review after looking through my above link, this is no longer under consideration.

If you click on Indiana elected legislators at the bottom of the page then go to Mays or Day it shows them as sponser and cosponser, but the bill is in gray, no longer in consideration.

Whew!  Thanks for bringing some good news.

I think I'll write a letter to my rep and senator anyway.  I want them to know for sure I want them to oppose that sort of legislation if it ever rears its ugly head again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top