Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 4:08:24 AM EDT
I moved to IN from IL in 2002, just after the IL Governor Ryan released all the death row inmates. At that time, IN was second only to TX (from FBI crime reports) in executions for capitol crimes.

This morning on the news, I hear tha Allan County Prosecutor (Karen Richards) is going to ask for the maximum penalty of 280 years for Edward Wallace. Wallace is convicted of a double murder of two people in their home. He broke into their home to rob them and decided to (and did) execute them after his mask fell down, so they couldnt ID him. He was also a habitual offender, had felony weapons charges and drug charges.

What I want to know is, why can someone break into someone elses home, rob and murder them and not get the death penalty? If a bleeding heart liberal governor (as Ryan was from IL) takes over some day, can he just release this guy? Personally, I think Indiana is a great state and I am proud to live here after all the Illinois liberal crap. However, if anyone ever deserved the death penalty, Edward Wallace should be fried. This leads me back to my original question.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE INDIANA DEATH PENALTY?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought we just executed some guy the other day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I moved to IN from IL in 2002, just after the IL Governor Ryan released all the death row inmates. At that time, IN was second only to TX (from FBI crime reports) in executions for capitol crimes.

This morning on the news, I hear tha Allan County Prosecutor (Karen Richards) is going to ask for the maximum penalty of 280 years for Edward Wallace. Wallace is convicted of a double murder of two people in their home. He broke into their home to rob them and decided to (and did) execute them after his mask fell down, so they couldnt ID him. He was also a habitual offender, had felony weapons charges and drug charges.

What I want to know is, why can someone break into someone elses home, rob and murder them and not get the death penalty? If a bleeding heart liberal governor (as Ryan was from IL) takes over some day, can he just release this guy? Personally, I think Indiana is a great state and I am proud to live here after all the Illinois liberal crap. However, if anyone ever deserved the death penalty, Edward Wallace should be fried. This leads me back to my original question.

I agree...

We need to roast more of these thugs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#3]
He probably copped a plea.  Or maybe the issue is it wasn't premeditated...........who knows but don't worry we still smokem in this state.  Or is it inject them?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#4]
This usually brands me as the "token liberal," but I'm against the death penalty as administered by the government.  My primary objection are:

It's not the state's "right" to take a life, especially there are alternatives.

It's impossible to undo or make it right when someone who is not guilty is executed.  Mistakes do happen, and I'd rather a bunch go free than one innocent suffer.  As someone who has been mistaken for someone else (who was a thug), I am sensitive to the fact that I very easily could have suffered the consequences of someone else's bad actions.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
i just heard the other day we've killed more people this year then any other
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i just heard the other day we've killed more people this year then any other

I read the same thing.

Also, here's a little info on Indiana executions, although it doesn't have recent info for the last year:

www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/executions.htm
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't agree so much with your first reason, as I feel sometimes the death penalty is warranted, and who else is going to do it?
The second part, I do agree with.  My wife watches shows on TLC that are about crimes and convictions.  From watching shows like this and shows like Dateline, I get the impression that prosecutors want to put someone, anyone in jail.  I'm getting to be of the opinion that there shouldn't be a conviction without physical evidence.  There are too many stories of people getting convicted based on them being the most likely suspect.  "They had opportunity, a little bit of motive, they must've done it!"  I don't like that, especially if it involves the death penalty.

Quoted:
It's impossible to undo or make it right when someone who is not guilty is executed.  Mistakes do happen, and I'd rather a bunch go free than one innocent suffer.  As someone who has been mistaken for someone else (who was a thug), I am sensitive to the fact that I very easily could have suffered the consequences of someone else's bad actions.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The worst is when someone is convicted solely or primarily on eyewitness testimony, especially if it's only one eyewitness.  It's the least reliable form of evidence, yet juries give it the most weight.  A lot of people are doing hard time because someone thinks they saw them do something they didn't do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He probably copped a plea.

That would be my guess also.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm getting to be of the opinion that there shouldn't be a conviction without physical evidence.  There are too many stories of people getting convicted based on them being the most likely suspect.  "They had opportunity, a little bit of motive, they must've done it!"  I don't like that, especially if it involves the death penalty.

I may not be very well informed in recent cases, but I highly doubt that mere suspicion will get one convicted in a criminal court.  Civil court…maybe.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This usually brands me as the "token liberal,"

It's ok, you serve a purpose, but yes you are now branded.

Not long ago I saw that Tom Cruise movie, where they lock up people before they commit a crime........................Minority Report.  Real feel good movie about justice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This usually brands me as the "token liberal," but I'm against the death penalty as administered by the government.  My primary objection are:

It's not the state's "right" to take a life, especially there are alternatives.

Rhino_, I respect your opinion but I dont beleave "jail time" is always enough. I cant remember the names or state involved at this time, but in the national news, there is a little girl who was found with the guy who kidnapped her. This guy admitted to killing her mother, brother and an other family member (I think) and raping her time and time again. They have proved this by his own admission.

Do you feel this guy should get life in prison, only to be turned loose at a later date. You dont honestly feel he can be rehabilitated, do you? This guy is sick and should be put down, just as we do when a dog has rabies.

I am not trying to pick on you but there are times when society has to say "enough is enough"!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I cant remember the names or state involved at this time, but in the national news, there is a little girl who was found with the guy who kidnapped her. This guy admitted to killing her mother, brother and an other family member (I think) and raping her time and time again. They have proved this by his own admission.

Do you feel this guy should get life in prison, only to be turned loose at a later date. You dont honestly feel he can be rehabilitated, do you? This guy is sick and should be put down, just as we do when a dog has rabies.

Shasta Groene

It was Idaho.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Your correct madness, thanks.

Thanks for the link above also. It was very good reading.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

i will sleep better tonight know that
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I am a Sgt. at the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City where Death Row is.  Rest easy fella's the Death Penalty is alive & well here in Indiana.  As of today Indiana has carried out 4 executions so far this year.  It has nothing to do with the new Gov. either.  The men who were put to death so far just happened to be at about the same place in their appeals.  I know the State has another scheduled for this month but as for any other upcoming executions I do not know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am a Sgt. at the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City where Death Row is.  Rest easy fella's the Death Penalty is alive & well here in Indiana.  As of today Indiana has carried out 4 executions so far this year.  It has nothing to do with the new Gov. either.  The men who were put to death so far just happened to be at about the same place in their appeals.  I know the State has another scheduled for this month but as for any other upcoming executions I do not know.

I'll just be glad to see Alan Methany executed. His date is coming up soon IIRC.

for those who are unfamiliar, Alan was on a day leave from Plainfield Prison in Plainfield. He had someone drive him from Plainfield to South Bend/Mishawaka area where he went to his ex-wifes home. He had beaten her time and again in the past and the prison was suppose to call when he was out for the day. They dropped the ball and she was not notified. He arrived at her home with a shotgun and beat her to death as he chased her thru the streets, with their chidren watching.  The shotgun was in pieces when he was done.
Some poetic justice though, at his first court appearance after he was arrested, he sported a mangled face from the beating he got from the inmates at the county jail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Yea, I'm sure God has a special place set up just for him.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yea, I'm sure God has a special place set up just for him.

just heard on the news tonight that if it stays ago, Alan will be seeing God's special place on September 28th, making it the 5th inmate put to death this year in Indiana.
Gov. Daniels commute a death sentence today, but the man will remain behind bars the rest of his life. death sentence commuted

edited to add a better news link
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's hope he gets what he deserves!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#21]
My dad was a police officer in Morgan County that was shot and killed. The guy who killed him is on death row, but we are afriad they might change it to Life without parole. I emailed Daniels and got a pretty decent response from him. He basically told me as long as the courts decided the murderer deserved the death penalty, then he concurs.

If you're interested, you can look up info on my dad. You can pretty much find info everywhere, but if you look up the website for Indy Star and Reporter-Times, they have good articles. My dads name was Daniel Starnes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My dad was a police officer in Morgan County that was shot and killed. The guy who killed him is on death row, but we are afriad they might change it to Life without parole. I emailed Daniels and got a pretty decent response from him. He basically told me as long as the courts decided the murderer deserved the death penalty, then he concurs.

If you're interested, you can look up info on my dad. You can pretty much find info everywhere, but if you look up the website for Indy Star and Reporter-Times, they have good articles. My dads name was Daniel Starnes.

r_stanes,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad and will look up the information for sure. I am also very glad Governor Daniels is going to let the death penalty stand. Good for him.

I the first line of my original post, I mentioned in Illinois Governor Ryan commuted or released all death row inmates one day before his term was done. What a bull shit thing to do and what a son of a bitch Ryan was. Of course he is also under investigation for many charges now while he was governor. (I am sure his buddies wont let him go to jail) What does upset me about our legal system is that a governor can commute a death sentence after it is pronounced. The governor actually can release the guilty if he wants to.

By the way, Edward Wallace was found guilty and got 280 years. I still say he should fry.

Once again, my condolences to you and your family about your father.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

r_stanes,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad and will look up the information for sure. I am also very glad Governor Daniels is going to let the death penalty stand. Good for him.

I the first line of my original post, I mentioned in Illinois Governor Ryan commuted or released all death row inmates one day before his term was done. What a bull shit thing to do and what a son of a bitch Ryan was. Of course he is also under investigation for many charges now while he was governor. (I am sure his buddies wont let him go to jail) What does upset me about our legal system is that a governor can commute a death sentence after it is pronounced. The governor actually can release the guilty if he wants to.

By the way, Edward Wallace was found guilty and got 280 years. I still say he should fry.

Once again, my condolences to you and your family about your father.

bluesteel43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top