Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 7:51:16 PM EDT
I am coming to Indianapolis (Mooresville actually) next week for a few days. I know I could look at the list, but I don't know the areas and towns surrounding to know what is what. I am coming for work, and was thinking of bringing a rifle or two for in the evening when I have nothing to do. Any suggestions, or should I leave my stuff home? Thanks.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Camp Atterbury in Edinburgh has a 50 and 100 yd. range and it's free. However, they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'd guess from Mooresville, Camp Atterbury is probably an hour away. There's just not many places to shoot a rifle in the Indy area.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What a drag. Come on guys. You gonna let your state flop? Help a fella out. I am staying in Plainfield.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What a drag. Come on guys. You gonna let your state flop? Help a fella out. I am staying in Plainfield.

Rob

I tried. Atterbury is a nice range, it's free and it's probably an hour away from Plainfield.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are in Plainfield, you are in essence in Indy.  Head East to 465.  Go north on 465 to the Crawfordsville road exit.  Go East on Crawfordsville.  After a mile or more turn north on any street you come too, lets say Tibbs.

Once you come to 30th street, turn right (east).  At this point pull over in any alley you want. Set up your targets next to any burned out buick or oldsmobile and shoot at will.  As long as it is after dark, and you are between 16th and 38th street, no one will pay any attention to the sound of your gun fire.

Otherwise, Indy is a big city and there is no local, rifle friendly range open in the evenings, let alone the day time.  Bring shotguns and shoot some trap or bring handguns.  Otherwise, forget your rifles and go fishing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are in Plainfield, you are in essence in Indy.  Head East to 465.  Go north on 465 to the Crawfordsville road exit.  Go East on Crawfordsville.  After a mile or more turn north on any street you come too, lets say Tibbs.

Once you come to 30th street, turn right (east).  At this point pull over in any alley you want. Set up your targets next to any burned out buick or oldsmobile and shoot at will.  As long as it is after dark, and you are between 16th and 38th street, no one will pay any attention to the sound of your gun fire.

Otherwise, Indy is a big city and there is no local, rifle friendly range open in the evenings, let alone the day time.  Bring shotguns and shoot some trap or bring handguns.  Otherwise, forget your rifles and go fishing.

that's good zoub, but so true!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]

....there is always Don's. You can shoot rifles in there, and once you step outside you may even get some real range time in that neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
zoub so fukn true.this area sounds like a battle zone some times.man one day I was killin fukers on the internet playin call o duty,I had the sub cranked up REAL loud and after a bit I got tired of this so I got up to stretch and I saw a cop car out front I thot shit wass up?I looked out and there was (no shitn) about 20 cop cars.apparently the mexicans down the street had a shoot out with thier black next door naybors.NO SHIT.and I MISSED it all.needeless to say the mexicans moved out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
oh and another thing.I go to dons guns to blast the AR about 8pm the other nite and these 2 black guys started crackin jokes at the "stupid white guy that thinks he a sniper wit dat clip loaded in his back pocket"  Idiots I would NEVER have thought to talk shit to a guy packin more heat than they could afford.they never did mention the HK USP 45 on my hip or the walther P99 in my shoulder holster.and people wonder why I go to shoot at the range so much?!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
YIKES!!! I think I'll stay in my hotel. Thanks for the warning.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys talked so much BS you scared a guy from detroit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You guys talked so much BS you scared a guy from detroit.

Indy isn't that bad, but it has areas - yet it's nowhere like the slums of Detroit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never shot at any of the indoor ranges, but there are a couple.

Don's Guns - Don's a dick, and I've heard bad things about the places.

Popguns - On the east side just off Washington IIRC.  Haven't shot there, but seemed OK as a gun shop.  Has MG rentals.  Don't know if they allow rifles or just handgun cals.  Pistol cal carbine is probably OK.

Eagle Creek Park - Outdoors, on the west side near 56th St. and 465.  Only Friday evening, Sat. & Sun.  Pistol cal and .22 only.  Not sure about pistol-cal carbines, but .22 rifles are OK.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Popguns -   ...  Has MG rentals.  Don't know if they allow rifles or just handgun cals.  Pistol cal carbine is probably OK.

They don't allow high powered rifle.  I need to rent one of their machine guns sometime though.  It looks like fun, but I don't know which one I should choose.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#14]
he he he da UMP homie da UMP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top