Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 6:36:03 PM EDT
...for a good job offer.   I know very little about the area though.  Would have to find a decent place to live pretty quickly, also down the road would want to take care of CCW, find a social life, etc etc.  Ideally I could find a rural place but that could wait also.  Anyone familiar with the city and general vicinity?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Vincennes is one of Indiana's oldest communities.  Lots of history there as commemorated by the beautiful George Rogers Clark memorial on the banks of the Wabash River.  It's a college town so there are some advantages to that such as cultural activities and a decent library for a city of its size.

I recommend looking for a place to live outside the older part of town because some of the neighborhoods are dumpy looking.  Transportation via US 50 or US 41 makes commuting easy if you locate further out in the county.

At this time of year, high school basketball gyms are where the excitement is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I live slightly north on Vincennes in Sullivan County.  Vincennes is the hub of what is otherwise a very agricultural area.  Vincennes has all the usual amenities, but you will probably want check out Evansville depending on your flavor of nightlife and cultural activities.  

I think Vincennes would be a great place to live, but I'm native to the area.  You can check out the Vincennes chamber of commerce, Vincennes University or Knox County stuff on the web for more statistics, info etc.  Good Luck.

BTW.  Indiana is a "shall issue" state, Class 3 friendly and decidedly "pro" gun.  I think you'd like it!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I live slightly south of Vincennes, and work in Vincennes.  Definitely not much to do as far as nightlife, and unless you like family style buffets, not much for dining either.  Property is a lot cheaper in Vincennes than it is in Gibson county due largely to Toyota being here.  Shopping sucks if you like that, all in all, Vin is a great family community as are the surrounding areas.  UNfortunately, to do much of anything you have to drive north to Terre Haute or south to Evansville.  Hour each way gets you to "the Big City"  so it's ok.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, hoping to head over that way tomorrow for the day just to look around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to College there back in the 80s.  Concur with what everyone said.  Great memories, It was there that I developed my love for Mortuary Affairs Majoring Goth Chicks!  That love was later overcome by Latinas, but that is a story for another day...................
Top Top