Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 3:43:23 PM EDT
3 weeks ago I put in my notice at my old job.  Today was supposed to be my last pay check from them.  My vacation time was not on my check.  I'm told that my director did not get the change of status submitted in time and that I have to wait for the next check run before they will issue another check for the vacation time.  I spoke with my former director this afternoon and he indicated that I'm being unrealistic in expecting them to have everything completed by now.  Incidently he did not turn in the change of status form until last Friday, a full 2 weeks after I submitted my notice.

Do I have any options to "encourage" them is issue a check ASAP or do I just have to wait?  I've left a message with the CFO and may call the CEO Monday morning if I don't get resolution.  However, I am leaving this corporation and going to their primary competitor.  Is this just their last FU to me?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always heard that in Indiana, you can demand payment at the time you leave employment of everything owed you!  Take that as you will!  It came from an MBA who is now taking BusLaw?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You can demand anything, doesn't mean you're gonna get it.  

Could be true tho.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know about IN specifics but I typically give my former employers a pay period "grace period" before I start raising hell.  I'm fortunate...I have always gotten my owed money on the next pay cycle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Any company can cut an "exception" check.  Usually they don't want to due to the paperwork and accounting entries necessary.

Call your state labor or employment services people and ask about your rights.

Can't hurt.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Got it squared away.  It sure helps to be nice to the payroll manager.  My former director is a complete dick but I did get taken care of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top