Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:15:19 PM EDT
Neil Quinter is at it again.  Get your days off from work lined up so that we can once again pack the hearings.

Assault weapons ban revived in Md. legislature

Howard delegate promotes bill with Baltimore's police chief at his side

The Associated Press

Originally published February 9, 2006, 5:00 PM EST

ANNAPOLIS // Semiautomatic weapons would be banned in Maryland under an
assault weapons ban proposed today by a Democratic lawmaker.

The measure, proposed unsuccessfully last year, would make possession of an
automatic weapon on the list punishable by at least five years in prison,
unless the owners can prove they legally had the gun before the ban would
take effect.

"These are weapons of war. These are not for hunting," said Del. Neil
Quinter, D-Howard County, who sponsored the bill. A similar bill failed last
year.

Joining Quinter to announce the proposal was Baltimore Police Commissioner
Leonard Hamm, who told reporters that his officers recovered 22 assault
weapons last year.

"That doesn't sound like a lot. But if you ever see one of these things [up
close], they're absolutely frightening," Hamm said.

A Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, which is likely to hear the
bill, said he doubted an assault weapons ban would make Maryland safer.

"Personally I don't see much need for people to have assault weapons or
weapons of that nature, but on the other hand, I see no reason for the
government to step in," said Del. William Daniel Mayer, R-Charles County.

A federal ban on the military-style guns lapsed in 2004.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you see him on the tube tonight? Him and his pick for Lt. Gov. Total propaganda for the sheeple. We have to stop this man and his campaign...can you imagine O'Malley as gov and Sheila Dixon as mayor?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't it seem like we already had a hearing scheduled by this time last year? I wonder if Der Kommandant Brian Frosh is trying to schedule it last-minute so that we won't be able to voice our opposition.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Doesn't it seem like we already had a hearing scheduled by this time last year? I wonder if Der Kommandant Brian Frosh is trying to schedule it last-minute so that we won't be able to voice our opposition.

Very perceptive, my friend.  There's already been a lot of buzz about this exact issue.  Frosh got very devious last year with his scheduling.  First they had a hearing over in the Senate with Garagiola's feint AWB, got everyone fired up and packing the hearing.

Then they quickly scheduled another hearing over in the House, knowing that folks either couldn't take an additional day off or couldn't make it happen so quickly.

Quinter is paying us back for the verbal bitch slapping he took last year during the hearings on his bill.

BTW, Ceasefire MD is back with a new Executive Director.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BTW, Ceasefire MD is back with a new Executive Director.

They dropped Leah?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, a while back (3-4 months?)

the ceasfiremd web site still has her listed though

Leah Barrett, Executive Director.
Ms. Barrett has been Executive Director of CeaseFire Maryland since January, 2003. She is also Vice President of the Montgomery County Million Mom March. She lost her older brother to gun violence in 1997. Prior to living in Maryland, Ms. Barrett and her family lived fourteen years in London, UK, where she held a several executive positions. Her last nine years in London were spent as Corporate Communication and Environmental Affairs Director for Tetra Pak, Ltd, a Swedish packaging company. She has also worked for The Economist, McGraw-Hill and Data Resources, Inc. She holds a master’s degree in International Affairs and Russian from Columbia University.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Posted to the VA HomeTown section.

I do not want MD to become another New Jersey. I like shooting 3gun up North and I bet that match shooting WILL NOT be an exception to the prohibition on bringing assault guns into the state.

It matters to us in VA what happens to you in MD.  Now, someone want to spread the Phone Numbers to call in the other hometowns like PA? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ms. Barrett has been Executive Director of CeaseFire Maryland since January, 2003. She is also Vice President of the Montgomery County Million Mom March. She lost her older brother to gun violence in 1997. Prior to living in Maryland, Ms. Barrett and her family lived fourteen years in London, UK, where she held a several executive positions. Her last nine years in London were spent as Corporate Communication and Environmental Affairs Director for Tetra Pak, Ltd, a Swedish packaging company. She has also worked for The Economist, McGraw-Hill and Data Resources, Inc. She holds a master’s degree in International Affairs and Russian from Columbia University.

Anyone have a picture of her?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If one can remember that Leah's real name is Gail Gunn it is simple to find pictures when cross-referencing that name with Tatra-Pak.

Here's one picture of the demon:

Link
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If one can remember that Leah's real name is Gail Gunn it is simple to find pictures when cross-referencing that name with Tatra-Pak.

Here's one picture of the demon:

Link

Gail Gunn?   WTF?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Leah Barrett's real name is Gail Gunn.  She apparently changed it about the time that she moved back to the US.  Her husband is on the faculty of Johns Hopkins and his last name is Barrett.  That explains the last name change, but not the first.

You should have seen her face last year when most of the pro-gun folks were wearing the stickers that I distributed:

"Who is Gail Gunn and why is she sleeping with Leah Barrett's husband?"

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's hope this fails again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
This shit really burns my ass
Leonard Hamm...The man with no crime plan.....What a FU@&!$G joke. That city is off the hook. Close to 300 murders last year, and hundreds, and hundreds of shootings! I am sure that Less than 1% of the shootings and murders were with an assault weapon. If the dems would crack down on law, and stop giving every one a second chance, people would rot in city jail, and Baltimore would be a nicer place. If this ban passes, I have a 8 acre lot with a 6 year old 3,000 Sq ft colonial(Unfinished basement), with a detatched 20x20 party room/Garage in the Catoctin Mountains in Frederick, that is going on the market. I am literally 5 minutes from Pa. I should have moved there in the first place.  

Sean  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
this ban passes, I have a 8 acre lot with a 6 year old 3,000 Sq ft colonial(Unfinished basement), with a detatched 20x20 party room/Garage in the Catoctin Mountains in Frederick, that is going on the market. I am literally 5 minutes from Pa. I should have moved there in the first place.  

Sean  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to confront these assholes right here and shut them down before they can pass it.  Going to VA, PA or WV is a temporary reprieve at best.  If we let them pick up momentum again, we are done for on a nation scale.  Like it or not, we're the test ground for the antis along with CA and MA.  What gets pushed through here will make it out into the rest of the country.

Quinter, in all likelihood, is done for after November.  He has a great Republican running against him in the general election and allegedly there is someone stepping up from within the Democratic party to challenge him in the primary.

Quinter is not acting based on his Howard County constituents.  He is funded by donations from the Brady Campaign, Diane Feinstein and other anti groups.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this ban passes, I have a 8 acre lot with a 6 year old 3,000 Sq ft colonial(Unfinished basement), with a detatched 20x20 party room/Garage in the Catoctin Mountains in Frederick, that is going on the market. I am literally 5 minutes from Pa. I should have moved there in the first place.  

Sean  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to confront these assholes right here and shut them down before they can pass it.  Going to VA, PA or WV is a temporary reprieve at best.  If we let them pick up momentum again, we are done for on a nation scale.  Like it or not, we're the test ground for the antis along with CA and MA.  What gets pushed through here will make it out into the rest of the country.

Quinter, in all likelihood, is done for after November.  He has a great Republican running against him in the general election and allegedly there is someone stepping up from within the Democratic party to challenge him in the primary.

Quinter is not acting based on his Howard County constituents.  He is funded by donations from the Brady Campaign, Diane Feinstein and other anti groups.

Just like a God damn virus, it'll spread thru the country, maybe if we were to actually punish the fucking criminals and not let them back on the streets, christ why can't they pass a law that actually makes the system enforce laws. hhmmm?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sean  

Just like a God damn virus, it'll spread thru the country, maybe if we were to actually punish the fucking criminals and not let them back on the streets, christ why can't they pass a law that actually makes the system enforce laws. hhmmm?

AMEN.........PUNISH THE WRONG DOERS....I know it makes too much God Damn sense though
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Cross-posted from MDshooters.com:

Thanks for posting the bills.  You beat me to it.

Guys, there's about 30 fewer co-sponsors for the AWB this year than last.  This is good news but it in no way diminishes the fact that we MUST contact our delegates and senators and have them hear the voices of gun owners.

Of particular import is to contact Neil Quinter's office and tell him to kiss yo....I mean to register your opposition to his AWB.  In addition be sure to call Senator Gianetti's office and urge his continued support on pro-gun bills.  Giannetti is the swing vote on the judicial proceedings committee and has been put up as the Brady Campaign's No1 target for this year.

If you haven't heard by now, Neil Quinter (District 13) has introduced his Assault Weapon Ban again this year.  The good news is that it has about 30 less cosponsors than last year.  That's good news, but it doesn't mean it's dead.  We'll have to make sure of that. The NRA recommends you call: "Delegate Quinter can be reached at (410) 841-3246. Be sure to tell him that you strongly oppose his repeated attacks on the Second Amendment."  Even more importantly please call Senator John Giannetti's office 410-841-3141 and tell him how much you appreciate his blocking the AWB the last couple years and that he has your support in the upcoming election because of that.

Find your District and Elected legislators here:
http://mdelect.net/electedofficials/

? Contact info is here by name:
http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/06hse/html/hseal.html  

Emails are OK.....but snail mail has a visual impac when all piled up on the desk.  Make phone calls in addition to writing.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#17]
is there a cross-filed Senate bill? you're wasting your time calling Gianetti if not.  Call your House of Delegates critters.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Any update? Anyone in MD know the answer to VR's question?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Word is that there is a Senate CCW bill going to be cross-filed.  No other details as of yet.  Giannetti will be looking for a reason to support this bill as he literally is straddling the fence on all of the bills.  Call him at 1-800-492-7122 ext.3141 and thank him for his support last year and to encourage him to support pro-gun bills this year and oppose anti bills this year.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
"IF" This were to pass (Im going to call everyone I can and fight this bills passage) will the Governor veto this? Does anyone know the Governor feels about  this issue? He is up for re-election so maybe he will sign it to get votes from baltimore and P.G. county. If its passed in the senate and vetoed by the Governor is there enough antigun buttholes to override?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"IF" This were to pass (Im going to call everyone I can and fight this bills passage) will the Governor veto this? Does anyone know the Governor feels about  this issue? He is up for re-election so maybe he will sign it to get votes from baltimore and P.G. county. If its passed in the senate and vetoed by the Governor is there enough antigun buttholes to override?

My bet is that Ehrlich would sign it.  Even if he were to veto it, it would be a close vote on whether or not the legislature could override his veto.

Ehrlich is a fair-weather friend to us at best.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:14:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Theyy have 30 fewer co-sponsors this year on Quinter's bill.  Even the anti Delegates are beginning to see that this is a losing proposition and, furthermore, none of them want to go on record in an election year as having voted for an AWB.

Besides, Quinter is more and more being seen for the nut case that he is.  Even Vallario, again no friend of ours, bitched slapped this slime ball last year because he was such an embarassment.

Ehrlich is more on our side than might be apparent, but is hamstrung by the realities of of the numbers in the General Assembly.  If it goes to his desk, I would bet on a veto and I doubt that the antis in the GA would expend the political capital to over ride him on this issue.

The key for all of us to understand is that NOW is the time to hit the phones and letters.  Once it gets out of the JUD committee it is pretty much a done deal.  We have to stop it there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#23]
TallNorton and Vote Republican,

Do you have any contact info that I can place in the gunshop/gunsmith I work at? I would like to tell all of our customers about this and give them the info of people to call. Ill put it on the counter to make it available to everyone.

When is this law set to become effective if passed? October 1, 2006 or is it effective when signedinto law?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#24]
All gun bills for 2006:

mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/subjects/guns.htm

HB  1347 - AWB

mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/hb1367.htm

That link has the actual bill in PDF form at the bottom.

one snippet from this bill -
(1) "COPYCAT WEAPON" MEANS:
 (I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC, CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN ACCEPT A
 DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
 1. A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY
BENEATH THE ACTION OF THE WEAPON;
 2. A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
 3. A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
 4. A GRENADE LAUNCHER OR FLARE LAUNCHER;
 5. A FLASH SUPPRESSOR; OR
 6. A FORWARD PISTOL GRIP;
(II) A SEMIAUTOMATIC, CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS A FIXED
MAGAZINE WITH THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS;

So all KINDS of rifles are going to be banned.

BUT - you can register your gun (how kind of them)
(3) A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR
COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2006, AND WHO REGISTERS THE ASSAULT
LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE POLICE BEFORE
DECEMBER 1, 2006, MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR
COPYCAT WEAPON.

SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take
effect October 1, 2006.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Also, I do not see a Senate compainion bill yet.

From the AGC web page, here is House Judiciary committee info:

HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE - (JUD)
Name District Room No. & Building Phone E-mail address
Joseph F. Vallario, Jr.(C) (D)-27 121 House Office Building Ext. 3488 [email protected]
Samuel Rosenberg(V-C) (D)-41 415 House Office Building Ext. 3297 [email protected]
Curtis Anderson (D)-43 317 House Office Building Ext. 3291 [email protected]
Anthony Brown (D)-25 121 House Office Building Ext. 3707 [email protected]
Jill Carter (D)-41 317 House Office Building Ext. 3283 [email protected]
Kathleen Dumais (D)-15 226 House Office Building Ext. 3052 [email protected]
Don Dwyer, Jr. (R)-31 House Office Building Ext. 3298 [email protected]
Ana Sol Gutierrez (D)-18 House Office Building Ext. 3028 [email protected]
W. Daniel Mayer (R)-28 216 House Office Building Ext. 3247 [email protected]
Darryl Kelley (D)-26 205 House Office Building Ext. 3012 [email protected]
Kevin Kelly (D)-1B 320 House Office Building Ext. 3404 [email protected]
Susan Lee (D)-16 221 House Office Building Ext. 3019 [email protected]
Susan McComas (R)-35B 326 House Office Building Ext. 3289 [email protected]
Herbert McMillan (R)-30 216 House Office Building Ext. 3439 [email protected]
Pauline H. Menes (D)-21 210 House Office Building Ext. 3114 [email protected]
Carol S. Petzold (D)-19 222 House Office Building Ext. 3001 [email protected]
Neal Quinter (D)-13 206 House Office Building Ext. 3246 [email protected]
Christopher Shank (R)-02B 321 House Office Building Ext. 3447 [email protected]
Michael Smigiel, Sr. (R)-36 217 House Office Building Ext. 3449 [email protected]
Tanya Shewell (R)-05A 322 House Office Building Ext. 3371 [email protected]
Luiz Simmons (D)-17 225 House Office Building Ext. 3037 [email protected]
Theodore Sophocleus (D)-32 214 House Office Building Ext. 3233 [email protected]
Robert Zirkin (D)-11 304 House Office Building Ext. 3342 [email protected]

This link may work better, if you can print page 2 of the actual PDF

www.associatedgunclubs.org/2006JudiciaryCommittees.pdf
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Vote Republican. This will be posted at our shop for all to see.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Also, I do not see a Senate compainion bill yet.

Has the deadline already passed for submitting Senate bills?  I'm pretty sure the deadline for House bills has passed, but unsure about the Senate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#29]
mlis.state.md.us/Other/2006SessionDates.pdf

February 3 (24th Day) — SENATE BILL INTRODUCTION DATE
Senate bills introduced after this date referred to the Senate Rules
Committee

Feb 10 31st Day — HOUSE BILL INTRODUCTION DATE
House bills introduced after this date referred to the House Rules and
Executive Nominations Committee
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got an email that gun day in the House in 3/8 1pm.  Including good bills & the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#31]
are you guys telling me that Maryland wants to ban those assaults rifles on Oct 1, 2006 and we will never have the chance to order it ?

I totally disagee and wants to be part of it ... otherwise , ii will be buying 5 more receivers :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I totally disagee and wants to be part of it ... otherwise , ii will be buying 5 more receivers :)

I already did.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#33]
If  the ban gets approved when is the earliest it will take affect?

Frank
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#34]
This place is becomming california. Its soon gonna be time to bug out, and i will try my hardest to be there on march 8th.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#35]
So far there is still no awb crossfiled in the Senate. Garagiola has said that he would not file this year, but you can NEVER trust him.

Keep an eye on any bill he introduces, there's bound to be some mention of "assault weapon" in all of his bills.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If  the ban gets approved when is the earliest it will take affect?

Frank

From page 1:

DECEMBER 1, 2006, MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR
COPYCAT WEAPON.

SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take
effect October 1, 2006.

So, buy before 10/1/06 and register anything you have before 12/1/06.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#37]
stock up on lowers now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
stock up on lowers now.

Seems like a better idea to write your Delegates and Senators and tell them your view on this bill.  It DOES make a difference.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Ill be there. Im calling in sick.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From page 1:

DECEMBER 1, 2006, MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS THE ASSAULT LONG GUN

[Chris Griffin] Whhhhaaaaaaa?!?!? [/Chris Griffin]

Assault Long Gun??  A new take on an already false term?  It think its funny that they have to switch up the "terminology" just to make it look fresh.  Well, not that its funny but still.  Proves the term Lib-tard.

Who all are planning on being there on the 8th?

I think they are distinguishing from an "assault pistol" which is already illegal here & you don't get a chance to buy/register them all over.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Letter and email sent to Giannetti to ask for opposition to any AWB and support of SB-911.

Do we know which members on the House side are worth sending letters to?  Who are the swing votes in the House?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#44]
any updates on this????

edit:  DUURRR I'm an idiot just saw the thread farther down
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I called my district 16 delegate's office to voice oppostion.
Don't know how much good that will do.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#46]
tag....

Sean
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Stupid newbie question.  What happens if the proposed law were to be passed and it's illegal to posses an AR?  What are people supposed to do with the guns they already own?  Turn them in and loose a thousand bucks?  Has this occured anywhere else?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Stupid newbie question.  What happens if the proposed law were to be passed and it's illegal to posses an AR?  What are people supposed to do with the guns they already own?  Turn them in and loose a thousand bucks?  Has this occured anywhere else?  Thanks.

The law provides that you must register your gun in order for it to be legal.  If you don't by the deadline, it's illegal, and they could presumably take your gun and put you in jail.  If you didn't want to register your gun you could sell it out of state I suppose, or before the deadline.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Was it not registered when I bought it?  I bought it from a FFL dealer in VA and he turned in the proper paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Was it not registered when I bought it?  I bought it from a FFL dealer in VA and he turned in the proper paperwork.

What state were you a resident of when you bought it?
If you were a VA resident, it was not registered.  He filled out the paperwork for a rifle sale.
If you were a MD resident, and bought an HBAR rifle from a VA dealer who knows MD law, I'm not sure exactly what forms are filled out but still there is no registration.  If it was a regulated firearm,  you went through a background check/wait, and although the rifle is not technically registered the MD police keep track of your purchase.

In any event, if the law were to pass (doesn't look likely for this year) then there would be some form or paperwork to actually register your gun to keep it in MD.  This would include situations like if you bought your gun in VA when you were a VA resident, but moved here, and MD doesn't know about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top