Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:27:59 PM EDT
Been eyeing on several guns online. I am thinking of going to the DULLES National Gun Show which I have bought my handgun there before, I know they wont sell me a handgun at the show at this point since I have a Maryland Drivers License right now. However, I am looking to get a lower  for the AR Rifles if I decided to build based on a good deal. Am I able to do that way? Since the AR is classified as a Rifle? Not in the same category as the handguns are?

“NON-VA Residents: Must be of legal age to purchase a firearm.  Can only purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns) and must have the same forms of ID as VA residents.  Driver's License from your State of residence and another ID that proves you live in that State.  ALL LAWS OF BOTH STATES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH.  You must fill out the paperwork and pass the background check; you can then take your firearm with you"

I am not sure if I am reading this right, but it kind of says that I can buy anything there except a handgun in VA.  I don’t see anything wrong with it, but I rather to ask you guys first before making a fool out of myself at the gun show.

Thanks for your input
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Hate to break it to you but ARs and AKs and all the "evil" weapons are classified as restricted just like handguns.  I think even with an HBAR complete rifle you would still have to have it transfered to a shop here in MD and then to yourself.  You can get a good receiver from Stag Arms, AMEETEC, Mega, Superior, and a few others for dirt cheap online and have it shipped to your FFL here in MD and save yourself the trip.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was OK unless it had the "evil" features such as adjustable stock, bayonet lug, etc. When I bought my RRA at Atlantic Guns in Rockville, I had to do the 7 day wait since it had the 6 position stock and was then considered a "regulated" firearm, whereas if I had gotten the standard stock I would have been able to have it immediately. At least that was my understanding of the situation.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Been eyeing on several guns online. I am thinking of going to the DULLES National Gun Show which I have bought my handgun there before, I know they wont sell me a handgun at the show at this point since I have a Maryland Drivers License right now. However, I am looking to get a lower  for the AR Rifles if I decided to build based on a good deal. Am I able to do that way? Since the AR is classified as a Rifle? Not in the same category as the handguns are?

“NON-VA Residents: Must be of legal age to purchase a firearm.  Can only purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns) and must have the same forms of ID as VA residents.  Driver's License from your State of residence and another ID that proves you live in that State.  ALL LAWS OF BOTH STATES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH.  You must fill out the paperwork and pass the background check; you can then take your firearm with you"

I am not sure if I am reading this right, but it kind of says that I can buy anything there except a handgun in VA.  I don’t see anything wrong with it, but I rather to ask you guys first before making a fool out of myself at the gun show.

Thanks for your input

ALL LAWS OF BOTH STATES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH.

OK, "ALL LAWS", so, lets just look at MD, 'cause it's easy:

The stripped AR15 lower receiver is, as Mil-Surp-Phreak says, restricted in MD. Common knowlege and state law.

So, subject to MD law and as an out-of-state purchase, it must go through a MD dealer and is subject the MSP background check requirement.

The hypothetical dealer in VA must follow this restriction and therefore cannot hand the item to you.

IF it was a complete rifle and marked HBAR, then, yes, he could sell it to you, since that style of AR is NOT "restricted". As it is, nope.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys,

I think I get the drift, I think I am going to order a lower from someone on thie board and have it shipped to one of the FFL near my hometown, i think it will be easier and i am willing to fork over extra 30 bucks for all of this, but at least it gets to my hands ...

I think I wil just buy a rifle in Dulles show and then buy one of those when I get into touch with the FFL that i just contacted this morning ...hopefully he will answer my emails soon ..

will be coming here more often for info ..
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks for your input

Not to hijack your thread, but when is the Dulles show?  Kind of sucks about lowers, but any"restricted" firemarms are a no go out of state.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]
www.cegunshows.com/

The next Nation's Gun Show is February 3,4 & 5, 2006 ....Chantilly, VA at the  Dulles Expo Center.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Need to get some components for my new Dillon 550, might be worth the trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top