Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 2:03:26 PM EDT

I’m in need of a good transmission mechanic in the northern Anne Arundel county area.

Do you know of one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I used Suburban Transmission and was pleased with the service.  They rebuilt a 99 Honda Accord Transmission using OEM parts for arounnd $2750.  He showed me around the shop and was straight with me during the entire process.

They also back up the work with a 3yr 50K mile warrantee.  They are in Laurel.  I would check out a few and go with who you feel comfortable with.  

Here is there link:  http://www.suburbantransmissions.com/

OBTW Honda wanted to charge in excess of $4000 for the same work.

Good Luck
Rick
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've dealt with Bill & Earl's (near Baltimore) repeatedly with good results. Talk to JR.

If it's a Ford transmission there's a good shop in Howard County that specializes in them, but they are usually pretty busy. The name escapes me at the moment though...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Glen Burnie Transmissions on Ritchie HWY......right on the corner near the Crown station.  They put a new clutch in the Accord for us for a fair price.  When something went screwy in the adjustment a couple weeks later, they took it back in without any question and made it right.  No problems, two years later (and the car and transmission have 350,000 on them).

They've been there a million years and the lot is never empty, so they must be doing something right.......
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Well $1,300 later I went with Glen Burnie Transmisions.

With 199,890 hard miles on the original transmision, it was a matter of time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Bummer man,  but still cheaper than a new set of wheels.  Also a whole lot better than the crooks at Aamco.  I had to take my Dakota to them back in around 1998.

I was in grad school and was dreading the return call......naturally I needed a whole new transmission

I told them I couldn't afford it and to put it back together.  Mechanic told me he could shim up whatever bearing in there was screwed up but said it probably wouldn't last more than a few thousand miles.  Total cost $150.

That was nearly 8 years ago......truck still runs great.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bummer man,  but still cheaper than a new set of wheels.  Also a whole lot better than the crooks at Aamco.  I had to take my Dakota to them back in around 1998.

I was in grad school and was dreading the return call......naturally I needed a whole new transmission

I told them I couldn't afford it and to put it back together.  Mechanic told me he could shim up whatever bearing in there was screwed up but said it probably wouldn't last more than a few thousand miles.  Total cost $150.

That was nearly 8 years ago......truck still runs great.

Mine is a 95 Dakota.   The tranni is shot I probably could have nursed it for another couple of months but with my luck it would go tits up when I needed it most.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#7]
My Dakota is a 90, 5 speed.  Apparently the whole thing is a Mitsubishi tranny and because there weren't very many Dakotas on the road in 1990 the parts are rarer than hens teeth.  It's not my first ride now, so if it craps out I'll just sell it for parts or get the scrapyard to take it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top