Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:48:23 AM EDT
Hi all,

Been here in the Harford county area for a few months now, and I was thinking about heading up to Elk Neck range for the first time this coming weekend.

Anybody else heading that way or going somewhere else close?

Tgrds
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a group of us heading up on Sunday around 10am.......
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to MD!! Hope it's not a permanent sentence.

I'm heading out to western MD this weekend and can't make it, but you'll probably like Elk Neck. Fairly informal, shoot out to 100 yards, covered firing points.

You'll need to take a target stand that will allow you to place targets about 48" off the ground, unless you can get happy shooting clay pigeons, either with a scattergun off the trap, or with your rifle/pistol on the 100 yard berm. I made one using 1 x 2 pine that fold flat, I've seen other guys make them from PVC pipe.

Supposed to rain Friday/Saturday, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
might come up, but have to wait and see what happens around here on satruday.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#4]
TallNorton,

Sunday sounds good to me

Eshell,

Lol, the sentence is not permenant, I can role out of here next spring or stay as long as I like, my choice. Anyhow, since I be new to the area I have not aquired any metal targets yet so is it ok to just bring a couple of wood pallets out to the range to place paper targets on? I have a few carbines that need to get rung out and then sighted in at 50 yrds.

Speaking of rain, you mentioned covered firing points, these built well enough to keep the rain off your back?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Eshell,

Lol, the sentence is not permenant, I can role out of here next spring or stay as long as I like, my choice.

Good for you.

Anyhow, since I be new to the area I have not aquired any metal targets yet so is it ok to just bring a couple of wood pallets out to the range to place paper targets on? I have a few carbines that need to get rung out and then sighted in at 50 yrds.

I don't know how 'liberal' their interpretation of "target stand" will be. My _opinion_ is that they would likely allow it as long as it will not deflect bullets, interfere with other firing points and that it puts your POI at about 4' off the ground, to center the bullets on the berm. The main thing is safety.

If I were going to use pallets, I'd knock at least a few slats off to make it lighter and still allow stapling a target top & bottom. Got a way to make it stand up?

Speaking of rain, you mentioned covered firing points, these built well enough to keep the rain off your back?

Yes, if it's not too windy and as long as you stay out from under the holes a few of the less talented (or more mentally challenged) users have placed in the roof. You have to walk about 50-75 yards.

Rain should be out of here by Sunday or even Saturday anyway, looks like the front will blow through by Friday night.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I may make it, depending on how I'm feeling.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
after fooling around with a couple of home made target stands, I finally broke downand bought some good ones.  I'm looking forward to trying them out tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats the road like going back there? Dirt, paved?

With the rain this weekend don't want to get stuck if I drive the car out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Whats the road like going back there? Dirt, paved?

With the rain this weekend don't want to get stuck if I drive the car out.

I would like to know this as well?

You guys still heading up there tomorrow, it has been raining pretty hard today?

Anyhow, my suppressors just got shipped out today, so I will be going up there next Sunday for sure; if it keeps raining all night I may just wait until next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
It is sand and gravel.
They sometimes close the road to keep from having it torn up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
The road is dirt with a few patches of gravel and a bunch of steep sections, not fun at all after a heavy rain if you dont have 4x4.

I wont be making it, the truck needs its water pump replaced and I couldnt work on it in the rain.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Next Sunday may hold some potential for me...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]
The place was pretty busy yesterday.  Ended up just being three of us for the "group shoot" but we had a good time.  Messed around with a few EBRs, did some clays, and then settled in for some quality time with my .22 CZ452.

The road isn't that bad.....we made it up there no problem in a sedan.  Compared to the road leading to my mountain land, this is an interstate.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]
We were supposed to shoot long range in Garrett County on Saturday, but bagged it due to rain, so we made it to Elk Neck for a while Sunday morning. It really was crowded, bad as I've ever seen it.

Had a good time anyway, taught my daughter to shoot her new 20 ga over at the "trap range". Lot of fun for her - she liked the shotgun action and actually hit a few. She's been shooting her AR15 and 10/22 for a few years, but is new to the shotgun. When she hit six or seven straight, I started varying the target path to keep her working at it. I started her with a .410 Contender carbine, then went to her Ithica 20 ga. She shot three boxes of shotgun shells and we wandered over and shot AR15's awhile. She was the one with the pink furniture on her shortie.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#15]
eshell,

Thanks a bunch for the extra clays....we had a blast (literally) over there.  You actually talked to my brother....I was the tall (and much better looking) fella over there launching brass 20 ft out into the grass from my STG58.

Brother wants to know......did you go to the Mash Out up in western MD?  He seems to think you two talked a bit out there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#16]
TallNorton,

You're very welcome.

Had I realized we wouldn't get a chance to shoot the rest of them up out on the 100 yard berm, you could have had the rest of the box.

Sorry I missed meeting you guys. I didn't notice your shooting, I was focused pretty much on the daughter and her gunhandling. She shoots rifles quite a bit, but is new to the shotgun and as crowded as the range was, I like to keep close tabs on her short rifle when she made it over there.

I knew some of you guys would be there, but our decision to go was very late and I didn't get a chance to set up a rendevous, and there were too many people there to just start randomly looking for Arfcomers.

"Mash Out"? Must not have gone, since I don't know what that is. I shot at Richards place in Alleghany County, in March IIRC, with him and some guys from here and SubGuns - an informal machine gun shoot - did that "event" have a name?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
eshell,

Mash Out is a beer brewer's festival out in Federick.  Brother's buddy is a brewer by profession, so they go out there and sample lots of beer.

Maybe we can hook up again up there when we can all have some time to talk more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top