Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 7:58:17 PM EDT
I'll be honest and tell ya that this is an idea that I got from another board.

So here are some points to ponder.

What are some possible scenariose of the Fecal Matter Impacting The Rotating Air Directional Device (FMITRADD or SHTF for the leyman) for our geographic area? Weather related or otherwise.

Ralley point?
Challenge and password

Plan for worst case evacution, as in walking out on foot.
Plan for vehicle evac as well

Four basics
-water
-food
-hygiene products
-weapon(s) and ammo, especially for those in the Baltimore area. I have a feeling that it would look just like NO.
Everything else is supplemental

Go ahead and talk amongst yourselves.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I live with in the belt way around Baltimore.

If it eben hints like it's going to turn into a shit storm like NO wwith all the looting and stuff I'm hauling my fat ass to the hills of Western MD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Catonsville and I'm afraid if anything bad ever happened, Baltimore would be just as bad as NO.

I'm bugging if the SHTF and I have time to evac.  I'll be on the news on my roof.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The trouble is that if the TSHTF it's going to be damned difficult to get ANYWHERE.  Think of your basic traffic jams at rush hour everyday on the Baltimore and Capitol Beltways as well as Rt 50 through Annapolis.

Add to that the DC people fleeing up I-270 to Frederick, down I-95 towards Fredericksburg, up I-95 towards Philly and you've got a serious problem with escape and evasion.

We've got a place in the middle of Nowheresville, WV that we hope to make into a vacation and (God forbid) a bug out location.  But, I still haven't figured out how we would ever get out of the Metro area without sacrificing our personal security.

I'm more of a "bug-in" philosophy. As long as my house is not directly threatened by the immediate emergency or ensuing violence I'd rather have my supplies at hand.  When you leave your home, you run the risk of being detained by the government (note:see Superdome) or becoming a victim of mod violence (see Superdome).

That being said (tm), I'm open to suggestions on how to best evacuate to the West and the relative safety of the WV mountains.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#5]
No one's getting out of here once things let go.The beltway is a mess under the best conditions.An off the shoulder breakdown causes massive backups.What do you think a panic stricken rush is gonna do? It'll be a 25 mile pileup.Or,out of fuel clog of cars. I'm staying put (I'm mostly self-contained/sufficient) If I have to go,I'm close to the 301 bridge,but that's been hell on weekends.Or by boat....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I too am more of a bug in kinda guy myself.
I had thought of the traffic as well. If one is really serious about a bug out plan, I think that an ATV/utility vehicle would have to be somewhere in the plan. Something that can be towed but can manuever a little easier than a normal sized vehicle should you have to abandon your primary transportation. I am thinking at a minimum, I would try to make it to Rocky Gap. I would then try to make it on to Deep Creek area, but it is gonna be a bitch to have to fight all those rednecks in Cumberland.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#7]
"I'm more of a "bug-in" philosophy. As long as my house is not directly threatened by the immediate emergency or ensuing violence I'd rather have my supplies at hand. When you leave your home, you run the risk of being detained by the government (note:see Superdome) or becoming a victim of mod violence (see Superdome)."

+1.....I live on the high ground in rural So Md.   With the storage I keep on hand, I'm more of the "come and get it if you can" philosphy. If it goes long term, beyond my storage, there's plenty of hunting down here, and even a natural spring for water. Then again I plan on moving to Texas ina couple of years, so anything that happens here I don't care about
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"I'm more of a "bug-in" philosophy. As long as my house is not directly threatened by the immediate emergency or ensuing violence I'd rather have my supplies at hand. When you leave your home, you run the risk of being detained by the government (note:see Superdome) or becoming a victim of mod violence (see Superdome)."

+1.....I live on the high ground in rural So Md.   With the storage I keep on hand, I'm more of the "come and get it if you can" philosphy. If it goes long term, beyond my storage, there's plenty of hunting down here, and even a natural spring for water. Then again I plan on moving to Texas ina couple of years, so anything that happens here I don't care about

We're pretty much right in Annapolis with our backs to the water.  At least we are OK on 3 sides from vehicular traffic and 2 side from foot traffic.

If worse comes to worse, I have family here in the neighborhood and we could get out by boat to the eastern shore.  Once there, we'd be stranded of course.

As far as bugging in, we're on well water so as long as I can pump water we're OK.  Plus being close to the water we can always haul it and clean it up here at the house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
All should prepare to bug in first.

water
food
protection
power

...but have plan B as in bug'en out ready.

water that you can move...not 55 gal drums. 1 gal =8 lbs.
non perishable food and something to cook or heat....camp stove
protection...well what works at home works on the road
power...good running vehicle.

would be nice to have an informal group and place to meet.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It Saddens me to see NOLA looking like Baghdad or Mosul over here.  We need to think leadership at times like this not bug out bug in.  What is your community like, who do you trust and who will need assistance i.e. older folks, young children, disabled.   If you are a part of the marvelous militia that our Constitution so gloriously enamored then rise up like the minute man don't shirk your responsibilities.  I am counting on you as a deployed soldier to act that way.  Sure my children all understand how to operate and use my guns if they had to defend our home but I would much prefer a perimeter defense of my neighborhood than a lone foxhole holding out for a last stand.  

I wholeheatedly agree that we should be prepared with all the things you have been discussing I might add a reverse osmosis water purification unit (ebay) and a reliable generator with critical circuts itentified for low amperage operations.  

The truth is things will get worse in times ahead and running from your life support area (LSA) is not the best idea.

"I don't know but it's been said, hard to run with the weight of lead.
Other hand I've been told, it's just as hard with the weight of Gold."  Gerry Garcia

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I intend to stick around my home and protect what's mine. Southern MD is rural, but growing. You can see the city punks in growing numbers here.  My family and some fellow workers have a plan if necessary. I am not running off to Baltimore or DC for a gun battle. They can bring it here, I'll wait on them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I live in Elkridge, we have some survival-type items but no guns besides my pellet gun.  We'd probably be stuck trying to maintain our situation here and I'm sure if the SHTF, my parents would then want a gun.  Yes, I've tried talking to them about this, they see my point but just don't want a gun for some reason (I'm real unsure as to why) also I'm 21 so it's not like it matters what I think/say anyway, heh.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It Saddens me to see NOLA looking like Baghdad or Mosul over here.  We need to think leadership at times like this not bug out bug in.  What is your community like, who do you trust and who will need assistance i.e. older folks, young children, disabled.   If you are a part of the marvelous militia that our Constitution so gloriously enamored then rise up like the minute man don't shirk your responsibilities.  I am counting on you as a deployed soldier to act that way.  Sure my children all understand how to operate and use my guns if they had to defend our home but I would much prefer a perimeter defense of my neighborhood than a lone foxhole holding out for a last stand.  

I wholeheatedly agree that we should be prepared with all the things you have been discussing I might add a reverse osmosis water purification unit (ebay) and a reliable generator with critical circuts itentified for low amperage operations.  

The truth is things will get worse in times ahead and running from your life support area (LSA) is not the best idea.

"I don't know but it's been said, hard to run with the weight of lead.
Other hand I've been told, it's just as hard with the weight of Gold."  Gerry Garcia

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David

You make a good point, but my first responsibility is to my family's needs. Everyone else and their needs are secondary.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I am 100% behind your decision to stand by your family first.  I think anything less would be criminal.  The point I was trying to make is that when TSHTF normal civilian life in America is radically altered and becomes closer to military operations.  Think of being a Company Commander on the battlefield, you have lots of firepower, good soldiers, life support and a specific mission to perform.  The next step in the structure is the Battalion who works to coordinate the subordinate company's effort in all respects.  Follow this structure up all the way and you can fight battles, and win wars.  In the bad world scenario, you are the company commander of your home.  And we would hope that the Police are the battalion.  

Unfortunately the battalion is going to be way overloaded so it is up to all the company commanders to work out their plans of defense, offense and support.  It sure would be nice to think that the BN Cdr would approve of your plans.  How many of your local officials are pro 2nd Ammendment?  What would be the weak link in your neighborhood?  Meaning if your neighbors house falls to rioters or looters it may make your home untenable.  Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.  I only suggest that we go back to getting to know our neighbors, I brought my sons and daughters up teaching them to go out an shovel snow for elderly folks for free and it brought a sense of community to our part of that neighborhood.  It is also good to know if there are child molesters or drug addicts on your street too as that would mean more barbed wire and 00 buck will be required.  

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am 100% behind your decision to stand by your family first.  I think anything less would be criminal.  The point I was trying to make is that when TSHTF normal civilian life in America is radically altered and becomes closer to military operations.  Think of being a Company Commander on the battlefield, you have lots of firepower, good soldiers, life support and a specific mission to perform.  The next step in the structure is the Battalion who works to coordinate the subordinate company's effort in all respects.  Follow this structure up all the way and you can fight battles, and win wars.  In the bad world scenario, you are the company commander of your home.  And we would hope that the Police are the battalion.  

Unfortunately the battalion is going to be way overloaded so it is up to all the company commanders to work out their plans of defense, offense and support.  It sure would be nice to think that the BN Cdr would approve of your plans.  How many of your local officials are pro 2nd Ammendment?  What would be the weak link in your neighborhood?  Meaning if your neighbors house falls to rioters or looters it may make your home untenable.  Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.  I only suggest that we go back to getting to know our neighbors, I brought my sons and daughters up teaching them to go out an shovel snow for elderly folks for free and it brought a sense of community to our part of that neighborhood.  It is also good to know if there are child molesters or drug addicts on your street too as that would mean more barbed wire and 00 buck will be required.  

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David

I totally agree. However, I live in a semi rural area with few close neighbors. I have enough firepower, but trust few people. Those I do know well enough will probably want to stay and defend their own homes until it really gets out of hand.  I have been quietly talking to nearby relatives and close friends. Looks like it's everyone for themselves at this point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
If I only have room for four, what am I supposed to do about a fifth person who is elderly?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#17]
One of the key things to think about is that very thing.. what about the late arrivals or unexpected folks that need help.  I can only say that this comes right back to knowing the neighbors and what we can do to support one another and those in need.  Think of a family fleeing their home because of looters rapists and other undesireables that forced them from their home.  If they only made it as far as my street I would not turn them away but they might have to live in the basement or garage.  

The key I believe is to find those you trust and do just what we are doing here play a round of "What If"  I use this technique with my soldiers quite often to get them thinking about the fluid situation that is our normal operating scenario on the battlefield.  Get together with friends and wargame the possibilities.  I would even think about visual signals that could be used to communicate between homes when the phones go down.  The SHTF scenario will most likey be moderated after a few days unless we are talking about an EOTWAWKI type of event.  

I would think that in that case I may want to have a fall back position like a friend of mine who has a farm in Hartford County.  At a certain milestone in the event we would along with others in the ravaged area head there bringing as much of the critical supplies and weapons that we could handle.  I may even think about  talking to him about locating cashe there when I get back from Iraq.   I pray that we will not be facing this type of situation anytime soon but it still is something that I feel we should be prepared for in today's attmosphere.

If any of you would like some pictures from over here, I can send them to you via email since I can not post them here.  Just shoot me an email.  

The Army Owns the Night
GOD Bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If it eben hints like it's going to turn into a shit storm like NO wwith all the looting and stuff I'm hauling my fat ass to the hills of Western MD.

I wasn't going to say anything... wasn't sure you noticed.

I live close enough to Baltimore that  could watch it burn from the roof of my house. I'm not too concerned about any SHTF spreading thatfar up the road... mainly because if it did I'd be having the time of my life with all the justifiable homocide from the comfort of my own home.

Let them come.

ETA: Without a map drawn by m4aiming@you I'm not sure I could ever find BBQ's house again. Plus getting there would mean skirting the city... not a good idea. Odds are if I tried to bugout in any direction from where I live I'd hit gridlock in a MAJOR way and make myself an easier target. I"ve already been preparing for the bug-in. I'd be more comfortable fortifying my position than trying to make a run for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't going to say anything... wasn't sure you noticed.

I noticed that you noticed....... my fat ass.  Thanks for looking.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#20]
As long as it’s not a weather related evacuation my wife and I are going to get on our 4 wheelers and ride straight up the C & O canal tow path. We can be in Point of Rock in an hour and from there we can ride the railroad easements to anywhere in the country. Forget about sitting in traffic on the beltway and 270. I don’t want to anywhere near DC when all hell breaks loose.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey rdblan2 I live in Catonsville also, so if you see me on my rooftop thru your scope, wave and say hi, I'll cover you, you cover me, k?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Dave is right, bug-in and working with your neighbors is the best - but that is not always possible.  Various situations may REQUIRE you to leave (or die-in-place).  You need to have plans for both contingencies.  And yes you will need to work with others unless you never need to sleep.

I had a bunch of comments & suggestions, but I'm going to save them and ask a few questions instead.

Quoted:
As long as it’s not a weather related evacuation my wife and I are going to get on our 4 wheelers and ride straight up the C & O canal tow path. We can be in Point of Rock in an hour and from there we can ride the railroad easements to anywhere in the country.

4 Wheelers as in ATVs?  How far can you go (milage wise) with what gear load and will you be carrying any extra fuel.

Have you tried this loadout?  (by 'try' I mean load it all up and see how far (distance) you can go before an empty fuel tank).

I'm hauling my fat ass to the hills of Western MD.

You and 1.5 Million other people.  If you don't have a place you own you can bet that there will be noplace for you.  Heck even if you own a cabin or piece of land you might find squatters who beat you there.  Do you have plans to handle that?

We've got a place in the middle of Nowheresville, WV that we hope to make into a vacation and (God forbid) a bug out location. But, I still haven't figured out how we would ever get out of the Metro area without sacrificing our personal security.

Good you've got a place - now you need to work on thinking 'outside the box' for your travel arrangements.  No matter what mode of travel you use (on or off the road) you will sacrifice some of your personal security - so don't let that stop you.  See AKSHOOTER100's ideas above he's on the right 'track'.

I'm sure if the SHTF, my parents would then want a gun. Yes, I've tried talking to them about this, they see my point but just don't want a gun for some reason
Parents can have many reasons some may be reasonable some not.  

However having a gun is not like having a magic talisman.  If you rely on it to 'scare bad people' then you might be in for a rude surprise.  People who own guns, but don't have the fortitude to USE them or have the knowledge on how to employ them are more of a danger to the rest of us.  If they aren't willing to learn then having the gun would be pretty much useless.  Since you don't own a firearm have you considered other options (like a bow or crossbow)?  More importantly have you put up enough food & water?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#23]
This all sounds like a good idea, but maybe it could be sectionalized. By that, I mean by County or something similar. I have a good house on high ground, but I'll be by myself + wife. I'd welcome some partner/backup, but how do I know which of you lives around me? See the delima??
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This all sounds like a good idea, but maybe it could be sectionalized. By that, I mean by County or something similar. I have a good house on high ground, but I'll be by myself + wife. I'd welcome some partner/backup, but how do I know which of you lives around me? See the delima??

I'll start-St.Mary's County
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
but how do I know which of you lives around me? See the delima??

Mee the guys at a dinner or shoot.

We are in desparate need of both.

BTW you realize this site has a survival forum where this kind of think is often discussed.  They also hold regional camping/training events (one of our area is comming up next month).  It's another good place to meet people.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#26]
OK Loubie...we need to talk. I'm in Charlotte Hall, 1 1/2 miles down Golden Beach Road (Laurel Ridge)
Actually, I have very few provisions for food /water at this point, but that's something I'm beginning to correct. I have propane for cooking, and I'm thinking about getting a generator soon. Of course I have the weaponry covered  Even momma knows how to shoot.  
How about all the st Mary's guys chime in here, and we hook up for a meet & greet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top