Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2005 12:34:14 PM EDT
Alrighty,
Now, I know the whole "drivers must register their vehicle in 60 days or turn into a pumpkin" spiel, BUT I have some questions.  I'm from PA (still a PA resident) and the wife is from MI (still a MI resident).  She's going to get her MD license on Friday, but their are some "automotive" catches.  See the car she drives is a lease vehicle (under her father's name) being leased from a dealership in MI.  Does she just get the driver's license and not deal with getting MD tags for the car (since it's not in her name)?  How would we go about figuring out just what the hell to do?

Rich
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get the Drivers License and do not sweat the tags. I have a car that is registered in Florida and stays in my garage 300 days out of the year. It is owned by my company in Florida and resides in MD - It will never be a permanent fixture.

If you are both going to live in PA why waste the $$ getting MD DL's???
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just get the Drivers License and do not sweat the tags. I have a car that is registered in Florida and stays in my garage 300 days out of the year. It is owned by my company in Florida and resides in MD - It will never be a permanent fixture.

If you are both going to live in PA why waste the $$ getting MD DL's???

We have to live in MD for the next three years (school contract), and her MI driver's license just expired and she does not want to go back just to get her dl renewed.  On the application there's a question something to the effect of "Do you have a vehicle registered in another state...if yes, you must register within 60 days".  Now, is the key word here "you"? Since her car is in her Dad's name (in MI) should she just check "no"?

Rich
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If its in her father's name and she has his permission to use it (in writing might be a good idea), I don't see any reason why she would have to register it in MD. Especially if the owner lives in MI.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,
Also, will she have to take a written and/or driving test if she's just changing state residency?  She's nervous about taking a driving test again, especially since it's been almost 20 years.

Rich
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think she has do the driving test, but as laws change from state to state, I believe she has to do the written test and eye test.  Of course, it's Friday now, so I guess you've already figured that out! See ya Wednesday night?????
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right!  This Wed.  Do you have Dave George's number just so I can verify with him?

Thanks man
Rich

PS we didn't go today, we're going on Monday
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks guys,
Also, will she have to take a written and/or driving test if she's just changing state residency?  She's nervous about taking a driving test again, especially since it's been almost 20 years.

Rich

Rich,
When I moved here all I had to take was an eye test when getting my MD license.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep.  We went today.  All she did was the eye test, and $45.  I'll probably do it next week .  I have been putting it off for years (being able to buy handguns in PA without all the waiting periods etc, was pretty nice).

R
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top