Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 6:17:14 AM EDT
Hey all,
Well, my fiancee and I finally got jobs!  We'll be working in the Oxon Hill area and need to move 'cuz the commute from Bal'mer just ain't gonna cut it.  We're looking for a townhouse or house (both with small yard for Dog, gardening etc) to rent for a couple years before we buy a place.  Any recommendations on places that aren't too terribly expensive (we're teachers)?  We were thinking the Clinton, Waldorf, La Plata area?

Thanks
R
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
 I'm a sheriff's deputy on the Eastern Shore and I've been to Waldorf for training. From a law enforcement point of view, Charles County S.O. is squared away, and it seemed like a nice area. I've been told St. Mary's Co. S.O. is very understaffed, plus they're in the middle of a housing/population explosion. I've been told P.G. county has high crime rate.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Avoid PG county at all costs.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I know to avoid PG, BUT that's where we're going to be teaching (magnet school in Oxon Hill).  Right now, we're in Bal'mer and the commute blows so we were looking for something closer.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Come on down to Charles County. We'll take ya. (Long as you guys are consevatives.)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah,
We're looking at Waldorf area.  Problem is, I'm not sure what paper to look in to find houses to rent.  The Bal'mer sun doesn't show stuff that far south and the Washington Post doesn't seem to show much that far east.  What are La Plata and Clinton like?  

Of course we're conservative.  I'm posting here aren't I?  LOL

Rich
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]
La Plata's got Myrtle Grove WMA and its 100 yard range about 5-10 miles away.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Waldorf is a nice area but it was getting 'over populated' 7-8 years ago - I'd hate to see what it's like today.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#9]
M4,
That's definitely a possibility.  It's just that our money will go farther in Waldorf.  Maybe once we get our official certification we'll do that.  Ideally we want to get certified and then move to PA.  Hell even our principal recommended moving to VA.  I figure the less we have to deal with the bridge (WW), the better.

R
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
stay the hell out of pg at all costs....the police are stretched so thin it would be a joke to think theyd be any help....not to mention the astronomical crime/traffic and lack of anywhere to shoot....go charles/calvert....pg sucks as far as im concerned...and the further south you go at least you have a few places to shoot...go waldorf...laplata even better
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah,
I'm trying hard, but the problem is, I don't know which paper to look in.  The Bal'mer Sun is too far north, and the Washington Post is too "cosmopolitan" to advertise the "Po-dunk" places I want to live in.  Any ideas?  

Rich
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#12]
A good bet would be to drive out to the areas you are considering and visit some of the convienence stores. They have weekly/bi-weekly publications with housing in them. Some are free, some cost ya. At the least, you'll get to see the area and get a feel for it. NEVER move somewhere without having at least visited it.

I agree that you should avoid PG county at all costs. I lived in northern PG (Laurel area), and as of '95 it was becoming pretty bad. I'd hate to live there now, no doubt. On the couple of occasions that I've passed through, I could only think to myself "wow, what a craphole Laurel has become). Southern PG county is much worse, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Well,
As much as I didn't want to live in MD, we ended up signing a lease for a house in Brandywine (very southern PG county....practically Charles county).  Anyhoo, the place is nice, neighborhood is quiet and the husband and co-landlord is a DC Narc-Cop (neighbor is retired Fed).  Now all we have to do is put up with the 55 mile (one way) commute for two weeks until we move.  Can't wait to get outta Bal'mer.  Would've preferred NoVA but none of the asshat realtors would call us back.  I guess when they heard we were looking to rent (never mind there are rentals listed on their site) instead of buy, they never returned any calls.

R  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree.  I go to school in PG County (UMD) and the crime on campus is ridiculous.  2 yrs ago a HS alum of mine (Dulaney-Brandon Malstrom) got stabbed to death after some local home boys crashed a party.

Where were the police?.....no where to be found.  No PG COunty or UMD School Police.  What where they doing?  Getting anywhere from 3-6 officers to go bust up a few guys drinking in the dorms and patroling the liqour stores.

Im originally from Baltimore County (northern) and the area is very nice.  There are a lot of good neighborhoods, but im not sure what your budget is considering you are teachers (which i find is a great profession, good teachers r great for overal community).
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Moredecai,
Tell me about it.  We're both grad students at UMD now.  When we first started there ('97) and had to be there every day, there was a serial rapist going around campus.  I don't think they ever caught him.  Now that we're just registering for dissertation credits each semester, we don't ever have to go down there.  Thank God.

r
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top