Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2019 1:03:21 AM EDT
I’m confused when it comes to handguns and “assault rifles” and private transfers. I was reading about there being criminal liability if you don’t transfer a handgun or assault rifle through an FFL, if that firearm is used in a crime of violence within a year of the transfer.  If the person you sell/trade with has a permit to purchase/permit to carry, Does this criminal liability still apply?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’m confused when it comes to handguns and “assault rifles” and private transfers. I was reading about there being criminal liability if you don’t transfer a handgun or assault rifle through an FFL, if that firearm is used in a crime of violence within a year of the transfer.  If the person you sell/trade with has a permit to purchase/permit to carry, Does this criminal liability still apply?
View Quote
I could be wrong as I am not a lawyer, however, I don't see how you could be criminally charged with a crime if you legally sell a firearm. Check their drivers license and permit to purchase. If they both match and the permit is good you are good to go.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is one section that applies MN Revisor 624.7132
Here is the pertinent part.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If I can resurrect this thread:

Am I correct in my reading of the above statutes, that if I am transferring an EBR (AR in this case) and the potential buyer does not have a PTP or CCW  that I would have to fill out a form and send it to his CLEO and then wait 7 days before transfer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Am I correct in my reading of the above statutes, that if I am transferring an EBR (AR in this case) and the potential buyer does not have a PTP or CCW  that I would have to fill out a form and send it to his CLEO and then wait 7 days before transfer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, that whole section applies to FFLs.

Subd. 12. Exclusions. Except as otherwise provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1f, this section shall not apply to transfers of antique firearms as curiosities or for their historical significance or value, transfers to or between federally licensed firearms dealers, transfers by order of court, involuntary transfers, transfers at death or the following transfers:
(1) a transfer by a person other than a federally licensed firearms dealer;
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

@macphisto

So it is legal for me (a non-FFL) to transfer an AR to another individual who does not have a permit if he is not a prohibited person, and I have no reason to believe he is likely to use it in a crime?

Thanks in advance.

I like to think I am a reasonably intelligent person, but damn legalese is hard sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@macphisto

So it is legal for me (a non-FFL) to transfer an AR to another individual who does not have a permit if he is not a prohibited person, and I have no reason to believe he is likely to use it in a crime?

Thanks in advance.

I like to think I am a reasonably intelligent person, but damn legalese is hard sometimes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@macphisto

Thanks in advance.

I am not a lawyer nor an FFL, but that is my understanding. If it's a trusted friend or family member, go for it. If it's someone you don't know very well or at all, you might want to cover your ass and ask to see a PTP or PTC along with ID and fill out a bill of sale. If you super-duper want to cover your ass, you could run it through a local FFL, but I think most people find that to be overkill.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you both for you help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top