Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2013 6:08:47 AM EDT
It's my first one so getting walked through would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's my first one so getting walked through would be nice.
View Quote

Im on my first one as well.
This Thread is pretty helpful.
thought i'd throw it up in case you hadn't seen it.

Also, Tag for any other advice others might have.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Done 3 - on the back side is the side where the Sheriff needs to sign...put little stickers pointing out EVERYWHERE they need to sign/put in info. In the section where it has your full name on the back, you can fill it in yourself. Just make sure the Sheriff or his designee knows where to sign and fill in other data.

Otherwise...that was really all I did; follow the thread in the NFA forum. Cross all the Ts and dot all the Is, get your photos beforehand, bring cash to pay the fingerprint fees, make sure you use the ATF fingerprint cards...don't use a stupid reason on the form, like "for the zombie apocalypse"; they'll send it back and ask for a proper reason ("for collecting and all other lawful purposes" is what I used)...you should be ok.

To smooth things along, bring a large self-addressed and stamped envelope to your Sheriff's office with the forms; mine usually takes a couple days to sign it then mails the resulting forms to you. Dropping it off with a pre-addressed and pre-paid-for document (large, page-size) envelope really does help a bit
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I am also looking at going through this process. Can the CLEO be the police chief of the town you live in or does it have to be the sheriff of the county you live in? Has anyone had the chief of Brooklyn Park or the Sheriff of Hennepin County sign their forms?
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am also looking at going through this process. Can the CLEO be the police chief of the town you live in or does it have to be the sheriff of the county you live in? Has anyone had the chief of Brooklyn Park or the Sheriff of Hennepin County sign their forms?
View Quote

I THINK your local town CLEO can do it. I just went for my county Sheriff by default, but I don't know if my local town Chief would sign or not. I suppose I could call and ask...

I think if you call the ATF they can give you a definitive list of people they'll accept signatures from...there's plenty of jurisdictions where a CLEO won't sign but they'll take other county/town executive signatures like judges, etc.

I think a safe rule of thumb though would be: wherever you submit your pistol permit paperwork to, would be the place to go to get the signoff.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Download the form and look at the instructions.
IIRC it can be Chief of Police, Sheriff or head of State Police. I think there were a few others as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I went the trust route mailed two e-filed one. Easy peasy and no sign off

Trust is pretty simple to do with will maker.

With the efile  method you can shorten the wait time buy a month.

Just need to save to pdf. The trust,Certificate of compliance, schedule of assets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just need to save to pdf. The trust,Certificate of compliance, schedule of assets.
View Quote

I have heard with the new laws passed that the trust route will now require photos, prints, and CLEO sign off. Anyone know if that is true?
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have heard with the new laws passed that the trust route will now require photos, prints, and CLEO sign off. Anyone know if that is true?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a law, but a finding or however it's termed...the ATF is thinking of changing it's mind and requiring that on trusts.

It's not codified yet, but it probably will be; the question/comment period is underway as I type. When it happens...yep, the responsible person/people in the trust will have to be printed and get photographed, and I think they'll require the CLEO signature in that case as well. Check the NFA forums here for more info on it.

If you're going to do a trust, do it now, and realize you'll need prints/photos/etc for it later. I'm hearing things that are in the works and submitted, if it does come to pass that it'll require prints/photos/signature, that stuff already in the pipeline will get "grandfathered" in...but the guys in the NFA subforums would know more.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That's where we are anticipating that well be grand fathered in.   Since my Cleo would not  signoff on my SBR. Who know what could happen with trusts
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's where we are anticipating that well be grand fathered in.   Since my Cleo would not  signoff on my SBR. Who know what could happen with trusts
View Quote

Which Leo wouldn't sign off?
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have a link to the e-file?
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steele county
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ATF
View Quote

Probably cost them more money to turn off the site than it would have cost to keep it running.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Any word on whether signatures are obtainable in Hennepin County?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I want to do my SCAR 16--I just need to order a bbl assembly.  

Is it "once an SBR, always ann SBR" or can I change it back later and sell off the bbl assembly if needed?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Get your forms submitted . latest news is 15 months from pending  which pending process is taping 2 month's....
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to do my SCAR 16--I just need to order a bbl assembly.  

Is it "once an SBR, always ann SBR" or can I change it back later and sell off the bbl assembly if needed?
View Quote

You can remove it from the registry, however you'd basically be burning $200 at that point by doing so...it would also probably take several months if not longer to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top