Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2012 6:45:34 AM EDT
My wife and I moved to MN from Southern California five year ago for work. I work mostly from home, while my wife's works in Woodburry, MN. We are planning on buying a home next summer and are looking for 6+ acres since we own horses (they are currently being boarded). We are also trying to minimize my wife's commute to work as much as possible, but acknowledge that she will still have a daily ~20+ mile commute since she wants the country life while working in the burbs. If we buy in MN, this pretty much relegates us to Washington County or Dakota County. Because Woodburry is so close to the MN/WI border, many of my wife's co-workers live in WI since property/homes are apparently less expensive. I'm not opposed to moving to WI, but I really don't know any of the pros/cons of it. Here in MN, the gun laws are fairly reasonable, such as the shall issue law for CCW. If moving to WI meant giving up my CCW permit, that would be a deal killer. Also, how about taxes? Both seem to be pretty stupid blue states. If we both work in MN, but live in WI, how does that work?

Anyone familiar enough with MN and WI and can school me on the important difference? Remember, if we do move to WI, while we will be in WI we will technically be just across the border and both of us will be working in MN.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Taxes are higher in WI, especially on acres. You have to drive a long ways for any kind of shopping except Hudson.

You can own any pre 86 machinegun or suppressor your heart desires, this is a pretty big perk.

My neighbors house is for sale here in Blaine with 5 acres an outdoor wood furnace to heat the house with in floor heat. They are asking $300k, the delovpment is 20 5 acre lot homes and is very private...  everything in my neighborhood is in the 500k-800k range so it is a good buy, only downside is no basement.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Wisconsin is now SHALL ISSUE CCW.

ETA:  You can buy a pretty nice house in Woodbury or Cottage Grove on the CHEAP right now...
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wisconsin is now SHALL ISSUE CCW.

ETA:  You can buy a pretty nice house in Woodbury or Cottage Grove on the CHEAP right now...

Since we are looking for at minimum five acres, we tend to find some nice looking deals in the Hastings area.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Taxes are higher in WI, especially on acres. You have to drive a long ways for any kind of shopping except Hudson.

You can own any pre 86 machinegun or suppressor your heart desires, this is a pretty big perk.

My neighbors house is for sale here in Blaine with 5 acres an outdoor wood furnace to heat the house with in floor heat. They are asking $300k, the delovpment is 20 5 acre lot homes and is very private...  everything in my neighborhood is in the 500k-800k range so it is a good buy, only downside is no basement.

If everything in your neighborhood is $500k-$800k, why are your neighbors only asking $300? No basement would be a no-go for me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Since we are looking for at minimum five acres, we tend to find some nice looking deals in the Hastings area.

Good call.  I have a client with a home down there as well on 5 acres.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
IIRC:
WI:
Property taxes are higher,
vehicle plate fees are lower,
fireworks?
I do not think WI residents working in MN have tax reciprocity anymore,  but I need to ask a coworker.  She was still busy, but I found this: http://www.twincities.com/politics/ci_21644657/minnesota-taxes-deal-wisconsin-off-table
94 sucks balls during rush hour
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Wisconsin is a great place for a cabin.  Property taxes are high (No homestead).
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm renting a place in Superior now, working in MN.

Sounds like they'll take out MN payroll tax, I'll have to file Federal and both MN and WI state taxes, but WI will give me a credit towards what MN took or something like that.

Do I still get to post in MN HTF btw?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm renting a place in Superior now, working in MN.

Sounds like they'll take out MN payroll tax, I'll have to file Federal and both MN and WI state taxes, but WI will give me a credit towards what MN took or something like that.

Do I still get to post in MN HTF btw?

No!!
Now kindly GTFO!! Traitor!!

How was the first week anyway, u can text if u don't want to hijack this thread anymore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]
pretty familiar with those areas–– hudson, hastings and woodbury.
hudson is a cool river town––as far as acerage, just east outside of town is about the closest you will find any acerage.  but aint cheap
taxes suck––ditant see your budget, but 300-400+ would prob get you a lot and house on this.
commute from hudson to woodbuy is cake from hudson- good to st paul, and teh suxxor to mpls.  if it rains/snows double commute time for those trips

I am not a fan of woodbury- place is getting overrun, and taking over as much as they can to build their utiopia.  If you are looking for a big house 5 feet from the next one––-go there.
woodbury has good shopping though!

Afton- SPENDY, but has a lot of that acerage stuff–– same with denmark township  they both have minimum acers if i recall.
If you like skiing, afton alps in that area.
Hastings––typical small town––growing slowly  easy commute to woodbury, but if going west on 55––its a cluster in the mornings/going home.  its single lane  yuo would not want to commute to mpls or even st paul from hastings.

south of hastings plenty of open areas-
I live in hudson- but in the city––the last 30 years...my very average 200k house gets 3k in taxes.
IM me if any specifics needed.
If you live on a lake or river in WI––plan on almost doubling your taxes for whatever reason...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top