Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 9:57:32 AM EDT
So I go into Sportsmansguide today to pick up a few items that I have been waiting for them to get in stock.  I give the guy the numbers for what I need and I notice the prices on his computer are higher then the online prices.  I ask him if the prices on his computer are what will ring up, up front and he says "yes".  I tell him those prices are quite a bit higher than what is stated online.  He says the internet and the store are different.  Maybe I could accept this answer if Sportsmansguide was some large outfit with 300 retail outlets but they are not.  To my knowledge they only have the 1 store.  The back is where the internet stuff is shipped and the front is for locals to pick stuff up.  So then I ask to clarify whether or not I'm able to obtain internet prices in the store.  He says yes, if you bring in a print out of the page on the internet with the price.  To me it seems odd/backwards that I have to prove to them their prices in their store.  The end result was I left pissed off and with only a fraction of what I was ready to purchase.  It also seems odd to me that in a major city that has lots of competing outdoors stores that one of them would decide it is a good business practice to make their customers prove the prices of items in their own store with their own literature.
Once again, to clarify, I was not asking for a deal, a special price, a internet only deal, quantity discount or anything like that.  I simply wanted a few of their in stock items at the prices that are published.
Has anyone else left there disappointed with their service?  Does anyone think I am out of line feeling this way?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I left mad once also.

The scratch and dent "close out" vulcan varmint upper they had on the wall at 25% off,  just happened to be exactly the same price as the new one I could have bought at the window.  $430 each way.

It doesn't really matter as I wanted a RRA with a .223 wylde chanber anyway, but check to make sure the store prices are really a good deal!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It upsets me that they dont honor their club member prices there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
+1
I stopped doing business with SG quite a while ago. They have some really wierd policies, and their "internet" prices are never the same as the "catalog" prices.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I had a similer problem with them. I bought  a boresighter fromtheir ebay store,and I asked if Icould pick it up as I lvied less then 10 miles away,and they were like no we have a very specific distribution system and we cant allow a local pick up. The shipping was 15 dollars and it took 4 days fromwhenit was shipped via spee-dee deliverly to get to my house in Burnsville. I had also aksed for UPS, FED EX or USPS shipping but they said it was up to them etc etc. I was very displeased.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It upsets me that they dont honor their club member prices there.

+1

IMO, they want to get their money either way. Shipping charges or by not honoring Club discounts at their store.

On one occasion, I was shopping in their store and the "security" lady was following me around, asking me if she could help me. I bought a green wooden ammo box and an AR15 soft carry case. The "security" lady was at the checkout when I was paying, and went through every pocket of the soft weapon case and looked in it very carefully. I told her not to forget to look in the green box too. She replied that she watched me close it up, and that she knew it was empty. I felt  uncomfortable in the store. Like I was racially profiled, except I'm your regular white male.

I had been waiting for them to get ammo in stock for my AK, but they never got amy in stock because of the ammo shortage problem. So, I did what I had been trying to avoid doing for months, I got a membership and paid their expensive shipping charges on ammo. $19 to ship a case of ammunition 30 miles? WTF? We in the Cities get screwed because we could pick up our purchases, but they won't allow that. We also have to pay sales tax so it's a double hit. But SG is cheaper than any other place I have found for AK ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
To answer the original question "Is this normal?" sadly, it seems like it.  The same thing happens when I go in there, too.

I felt uncomfortable in the store. Like I was racially profiled, except I'm your regular white male.

Seems to me that if you "no habla" you might just as well not go in.  There are couple of whites who work there but they seem to be the exception.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll pile on.  Their store isn't open Mondays.  I wasted a trip (just from Oakdale, but even so...)
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for saving me a trip to South Saint Paul! I thought a trip to their wearhouse would save me plenty on SpeeDee delivery.

I have heard the same comments for Cheaper than dirt down in Fort Worth, Texas. As the Store and the internet catolog company are two seperate companies...

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
SG = Poop

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top