Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 10:21:57 AM EDT
So if you buy 2 handguns from one dealer you get put on a watch list? what happens then? this doesn't happen if you buy 2 guns from 2 dealers? can someone explain this to me more in depth?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I havnt heard this, and i have done this before--two glocks on the same day--would be interested to know what lists i'm on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like bs to me , tellwhoever told you that to go pound sand
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if it is a watch list, but here's what I remember off the top of my head.  If you buy multiple handguns from the same dealer within a certain period of time, there is an additional form that is filled out for the ATF.  I believe it is kept with the 4473, but I'm not sure about that.

I'll see what I can dig up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
This is what a dealer explained to me, if I buy 2 guns w/ in a certain amount of time (7 days I think) they have to file a form. If you go 2 different dealers like at a gun show or drive to a different place, it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
That's what I recall from my stint at Gander Mountain.  I don't think the buyer had to fill anything out, just the dealer.  

Before anyone asks, I worked there a long time ago, and no, I don't remember what information the form wanted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea it's true and most dealers don't even tell their customers.  The sad part is that alot of the people working the sales counters don't even know this.  There is usually someone in a back room who does the paperwork associated with 4473's and handles this stuff.  While I was in college I worked at a very large and well know outdoor store in Minnesota.  They way it worked was that if an individual bought more than 1 handgun in a 5 or 7 day period, we had to forward all of their info and the firearms info to law enforcement.  I also had a friend who was contacted by their friendly sheriff because they had bought 2 handguns within the short time period in an area of the state that was a couple hundred miles from their hometown.  Once the situation was explained, it was dropped but it just goes to prove that this stuff is investigated and looked into.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I have gotten 3 handguns in the same day (2 from one store, 1 from another) and EBR the same day, all because I was waiting for the PTP to be oked from the Police.  Guess I am on the "Watch List"

I have also gotten 2 long guns in the same day and place a few time.

The form filled out is done by the FFL holder and it is for Multipul Handguns, in the same day, on the same 4473, or atleast that is the deal on it now from what I have been tought where I sell at.  The form stays with the 4473 which stays in the store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
By posting this on a public internet forum, you have been put on the watch list.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
By posting this on a public internet forum, you have been put on the watch list.

Oh Shit, I didn't think of that!!

Useful link!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
With the ice off the water I took my boat out today.  Unfortunately there was a horrible accident.......
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual? [Back]

If you sell more than one handgun to any nonlicensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, and forwarded to the ATF office specified on the form no later than the close of business on the day the second handgun was sold. A copy of the form must also be sent to the state police or the local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy must also be kept in the records of the dealer. [18 U. S. C. 923( g)( 3), 27 CFR 178.126a]

From the ATF website.

Rick in MN
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Gee, I can't think of any loopholes around that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top