Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 1:10:45 PM EDT
You might have to ask around a bit, but I'll bet there's going to be a few sweet deals here

Clicky

Two tactics try to counter gun violence
Organizers hope to get about 200 handguns off the street during a two-day buy-back program.

Their strategy was for Project Cease Fire, a two-day gun buy-back program sponsored by Hennepin County's African American Men Project, several community organizations and the Minneapolis Police Department. Funding is provided by the Minneapolis Foundation.

Participants will get $50 for revolvers and $75 for semiautomatic pistols they turn in. Also, no questions will be asked, no identification is required and participants will not face prosecution for illegal possession or other gun-related violations.

The event will start at noon Friday and last through midnight at the former Broadway Rental building, 2101 W. Broadway in Minneapolis. Day Two also will be held from noon to midnight Saturday at Urban Ventures, 3041 4th Av. S.

Price said organizers hope to collect about 200 guns.

"We're up against a huge culture, where violent behavior is glorified through movies, TV, video games and music," Price said. "We need to go after the weapons and the false message that somehow shooting one another is OK and the only way to resolve our emotional issues.

"This isn't a cure-all for violent behavior, but another solution to help stop it."

In another effort to reduce gun violence in Minneapolis, 5,000 cable-style gun locks will be available for free Wednesday on a first-come, first-serve basis at any Minneapolis police precinct. The program is funded by a grant from the U.S. Justice Department.

The goal of the program is to remind gun owners to safely store their firearms at home so they don't fall into the hands of a child.

The precincts are: First, 19 N. 4th St.; Second, 1911 Central Av. NE.; Third, 3000 Minnehaha Av. S.; Fourth, 1925 Plymouth Av. N.; Fifth, 3101 Nicollet Av. S.

Similar gun-amnesty programs are held frequently in major North American cities such as Milwaukee, Philadelphia and Toronto. Baptist churches also sponsor similar gun buy-back programs, some dubbing them as "revivals."

Price said he was encouraged by a program in Compton, Calif., two months ago that collected more than 250 firearms in three weeks.

"It just goes to show you that this works," Price said. "We want to minimize the devastation guns cause on our streets. "

Minneapolis Police Lt. Greg Reinhardt hopes for a good turnout. "But I think we have a realistic expectation about this program," he said. "The community is taking the initiative, and we're here to support them."

V.J. Smith, president of MAD DADS (Men Against Destruction/Defending Against Drugs and Social Disorder), sees the program as "prevention instead of intervention." He said those who drop off guns should do so from their hearts, not to fatten their wallets.

"That's the tough part," Smith said. "We need them to dig deep inside their souls and not think about the financial incentive, but say to themselves that, 'Hey, this is the right thing to do.'
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have a line on some cheap bryco/jennings/raven?  I'm wondering if we could flip em and make money.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The cheapest handguns I could find was a Hi-Point at 69.95 without shiping it would not be worth it.

Maybe I should go down there and offer to buy them for 80.00 just to piss off the libitards.

It wouold be cool just to see what they would say and have 200 crapy pistols and use them till they jam and just drop them take the Wolf ammo before you leave them of course.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LOL!  I think I might have to stop in there...  I'd check to find a good deal on a used G-Lock or something!!!  :-)

Make sure to get one with the side-mounted ghetto sites.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, beside the stupid reasoning the libs have for doing this, do they even check the guns they get to see if they are stolen?  This no question asked BS seems like a way for criminals to off load some hot guns and get paid for it.  I know I would be pissed if I had a gun stolen and it turned up in this sort of sale.

Can anyone shed some light on what they do with the firearms they get, besides puting the torch to them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Their strategy was for Project Cease Fire, a two-day gun buy-back program sponsored by Hennepin County's African American Men Project,

Sounds kind of racist to focus just on buying guns from Black, men, doesn't it?

I was hoping to get a set of Nikes instead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#7]
So if you sit outside the enterence with a $100 bill, you could probably pick and choose, and buy a decent gun or two?

Or you could get mugged too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]
It would be kind of cool to pick up a Colt Python for $60.00
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So if you sit outside the enterence with a $100 bill, you could probably pick and choose, and buy a decent gun or two?

Or you could get mugged too.

But I am straped G money.  You can't rob me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Their strategy was for Project Cease Fire, a two-day gun buy-back program sponsored by Hennepin County's African American Men Project,

Sounds kind of racist to focus just on buying guns from Black, men, doesn't it?

I was hoping to get a set of Nikes instead.

Actually, no.  I've been buying guns from white guys all my life.  I feel it's time to start supporting Entreprenuers of Color.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]
1.  The guns are most likely going to be junk.

2.  They're most likely stolen, or were just stolen so they could get some money to buy more drugs.

3.  The guns are most likely going to be cut and melted down, before it is determined if they are stolen.

So, I guess you're SOL for getting a good deal.

You gotta love Liberals!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
You get them at the door BEFORE they go in to turn them in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a cheap ass .22 pistol with a broken firing pin. I can get $75 for it? I'm there.

Do you think I'll be put on some bad list? There is no reason I shouldn't sell this POS, Right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]
No rifles though  huh?  I was thinkin I could maybe fool them with my airsoft AR.  I do have a BB gun that looks just like a Hi-Power.  Wonder if that would fool them.  

On the subject, does anyone watch numbers?  There was an episode on a couple of weeks ago that revolved around a subject just like this.  They had a gun buy back program at a community center.  Well one of the guys that worked at the community center was keeping some of the guns and was on a vigilante mission of taking out gang members himself, until he took out an undercover FBI agent.   Pretty good entertainment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No rifles though  huh?  

Rifles make up a very small portion of "crime guns" according to something I read from the Cato Institute many years ago.  Rifles also included Assault Rifles, which meant that the AW ban was only banning something like 2-3% of so called "crime guns".
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No rifles though  huh?  I was thinkin I could maybe fool them with my airsoft AR.  I do have a BB gun that looks just like a Hi-Power.  Wonder if that would fool them.  

Wait a sec....you might just be on to something. I have several old, crapped-out/broken airsoft handguns from when I was an Airsoft Nerd (now I'm just a regular nerd....). Not even the most hardcore airsofter would give me $20 for any of them. I am pretty sure they can pass off for the real deal (these are higher-quality gas pistols, not the el-cheapo Wal Mart specials). They just sit in a closet doing nothing.

It is really, really tempting. Really tempting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait a sec....you might just be on to something. I have several old, crapped-out/broken airsoft handguns from when I was an Airsoft Nerd (now I'm just a regular nerd....). Not even the most hardcore airsofter would give me $20 for any of them. I am pretty sure they can pass off for the real deal (these are higher-quality gas pistols, not the el-cheapo Wal Mart specials). They just sit in a closet doing nothing.

Do it man!

They say it is no questions asked and no id taken.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it man!

Not only that, it's poetic justice in a way.  Do you think they'd EVER know?  Nope.  Hell, a broken airsoft gun is likely as dangerous as some of the junk they'll be buying.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it man!

Not only that, it's poetic justice in a way.  Do you think they'd EVER know?  Nope.  Hell, a broken airsoft gun is likely as dangerous as some of the junk they'll be buying.

Stop tempting me!

I have a "Beretta M92" that I almost guarentee would get past them no problem. With a few minor mods (take out the little 6mm airsoft barrel, leaving a normal-looking "9mm" barrel) it would be unnoticiable to the unitiated. It is utter junk right now.

I gots a very, VERY realisitic looking S&W M29 (the "blueing" looks absolutely, totally real...it's actually quite amazing) that would EASILY convince them if I could only figure out a way to remove the fake "rounds" form the cylidner. Would not be easy  but if I could mod it, there's no way they would know. This gun is also so broken that it is totally useless (although it does have a real set of S&W wood grips).

Also have a ridiculously realisitic, completely metal S&W M36 replica (not airsoft...some sort of Japanese replica from the 60s/70s) that I found at an antique store. The employee and I both had to give it a second look-see just to make sure the thing wasn't real.  An easy $50 no prob. The only problem is I'm not sure I want to get rid of it, it's acutally pretty cool...

I have one of those cheap Denix Colt Peacemakers that broke a while ago, it would fool them easily. Totally metal and wood, another easy $50. Yet another total pile of junk I simply want to get rid of.

All told, that's a possible $225 I could make just by taking out the trash. There are other, less realistic airsoft/bb guns I have that MIGHT pass for real, but I don't know if I would try it. If I was really lucky I could probably manage $450. Of course, just for the supreme irony/poetic justice, I would HAVE to either buy a new gun or a bunch of ammo with it...I think an SKS or a new AR upper would be appropriate.

Could I get in any trouble though? I mean, I think I read somewhere that cops will be present, and if the dips taking the guns don't realize the...uh..."misunderstanding," then the cops might. I just don't want to get  hauled off to jail...

And I have to admit...my conscious would bother me a bit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:40:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Add another $75 to what you get and you can pick up a used Glock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#21]
double tap
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Says they need about 130 more guns to meet their goal according to the Red Star...

Organizers hoped to gather about 200 guns by the end of the event, which continues today at noon at Urban Ventures in south Minneapolis.

Organizers and the police kept their word and did not question participants, who ranged from young adults to the elderly and from all backgrounds. A Star Tribune reporter also couldn't ask questions, such as participants' names.
No arrests were made.
"OK, where's the hidden cameras? Where's the sting at?" said one middle-aged man who turned in a revolver and exited to applause. "Is this real?"

and our next defenseless victim. hopefully she was not followed home

Police said another shotgun -- in good condition -- was turned in by an 87-year-old woman.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Police said another shotgun -- in good condition -- was turned in by an 87-year-old woman.

Yeah, because the shotguns owned by 87 year old great grandmas are wreaking havoc in the streets.  Thank god that dangerous weapon is "off the streets".

Sheesh.

Must be nice to walk through life with blinders on.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Fixed it.

The whole idea is an F'n Joke...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top