Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2004 7:33:35 PM EDT
August 29 / Alumni 3-gun Tactical (Handgun/Carbine/Shotgun)
Just getting the topic started You know I will be there!
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have to have taken all three to participate?
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sully is the only one that can answer that. He needs to have seen you shoot, be assured that you comprehend ALL of his safety rules and can perform with tthe rest of the class.

The above isn't actually directed at you, but rather a raft of folks that hear "3 gun" and nut up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Sully, Will there be any handgun1 or shotgun1 classes this month before the 3-gun? I would be interested to do the 3 gun if possible.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I was also wondering about a Shotgun 1 class. mmmmmm shotgun
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
All you guys can sleep in because S.A.C.C will be there to win it all. mere mortals like yourselfs can not beat me.

But anyway sully we need these questions answered #1should any one else even show up to try and beat me.  

#2do you have to have taken all three to participate

#3will you offer any classes before then.

By the way Super Arm Chair Commando.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2004 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
All you guys can sleep in because S.A.C.C will be there to win it all. mere mortals like yourselfs can not beat me.

<snip>
By the way Super Arm Chair Commando.  

I say HA! on you!

I shall humble you homes!

Know that I am medium speed, beer cooled, rarely a drag, and cheeto dust coated!

"Old age and experience overcome youth and skill every time."  
~unknown
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I emailed Sully that question about a week ago...Haven't heard back from him!

If so, how much of the class will be shotgun?  I'd be willing to sit out the shotgun parts...

Link Posted: 8/3/2004 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Sully,

I realize that you must insure that people have had the education/formal training to proform in a profesional and safe manner during the "shoots" that are listed as "alumni" shoots.

However, there are many of us that may "have NOT had" the option of traveling to your sights to attend your classes but have either attended classes elsewhere or have been trained militaraly (Shoot when shot at). I am just wondering if to be invited to these gigs if we have to pass your specific classes or if anyone that has the required experience can get in on it since I hear you all seem to have a "very good time of it".

I did send out another question to you a few weeks ago but never heard back from you and only heard back from one other poor optimistic sole that was confused that this was an open and inviting board to all, and that it welcomes new-commers.

Just an honest and true opinion.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sully,

I realize that you must insure that people have had the education/formal training to proform in a profesional and safe manner during the "shoots" that are listed as "alumni" shoots.

However, there are many of us that may "have NOT had" the option of traveling to your sights to attend your classes but have either attended classes elsewhere or have been trained militaraly (Shoot when shot at). I am just wondering if to be invited to these gigs if we have to pass your specific classes or if anyone that has the required experience can get in on it since I hear you all seem to have a "very good time of it".

I did send out another question to you a few weeks ago but never heard back from you and only heard back from one other poor optimistic sole that was confused that this was an open and inviting board to all, and that it welcomes new-commers.

Craig, nobody wants to discourage you from attending classes. The alumni classes are designed to enhance and build on the fundamentals learned in the base classes, as well as work on specific skills. There can be some pretty high speed stuff happening and Sully needs to know you are on the same page. The alumni events are not actually an informal "shoot". They are more advanced classes that Sully offers as kind of a bonus to his students.
If you get a chance to attend one of the base classes, I strongly suggest it. It will make you a better shooter, you will learn a ton, and you will have a blast. Plus you are then able to attend alumni events as well.

In addition to the DE classes, a couple of us are working on a arfcom based "shoot" for the near future as well. I will let you know if we get the details worked out. It is proving to be a little tricky to lock down a date and location. This would be the best oportunity to come out and meet everyone.
Also there is the Machine Gun shoot in September if that interests you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, looks like I need to clear my calendar on the 14th. Woohoo, shotgun time!
Could someone refresh my memory on ammo load out for that class?

Training with Pat Rogers ? I look forward to hearing about that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt miss this one, Ill be there on the 14th.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sully,

Computerdude,

Let's take on the face possible military training. I am still training out bad habits I was taught in the Army in 1975.

I'm sure you have had courses along the line that have  diametriclty opposed each other. An Alumni class is not a time to sort out the "correct" method or practice. The Defensive Edge instructors have a philosophy and manual of arms that may not be compatable with what a person has been taught in the past. I believe this is the reason that the basic courses are a prerequisite for the advanced courses.

The class starts where the last one leaves off.  
It is likely my fault there is a misunderstanding because of my calling the classes "shoots".

I think you will find that the "ARfcom" crew very inclusive, as well as the Defensive Edge group. I would ask that they not be confused tho. It is a "apples and pears' sort of thing.

As QuinlanV said, we do need to get an ARFcom shoot going soon. I would give my 2 cents worth that it should be outdoors.  Del-Tone is a possibility. Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
We can also see about open time at princeton

Then Everyone can come,  dsspro, Devils Advocate and the others know who they are.  

We can do what we want.  

Within reason that is.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, looks like I need to clear my calendar on the 14th. Woohoo, shotgun time!
Could someone refresh my memory on ammo load out for that class?

[\quote]

Ditto on planning to attend as well.  I'd also like to know what I need as far as ammo and equipment.  I have a Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel.  Is that sufficient for the class, or do I need a shorter barrel?

I'm not even sure if this barrel can do slugs?  It's the $230 Galyan's special, I bought it for clay pigeons.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
A shorter barrel would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A shorter barrel would be a good idea.

Yuppers... but if finances dont work, you can use the longer barrel...

I'll be willing to loan you my Mossy 500. 18" barrel and fairly tricked.

I'll be using a 590.. providing a certain person gets off their ass and gets me the parts I need. ::laughing::

I'll also be asking the AEG to help me with a percieved recoil test between the two.

1*
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I"d like to be there for Shotgun 1, but not sure what next payday is going to look like yet.
And I think the cold weather shotgun will get me into the alumni right?

Is there any cost on the 3 gun? Range fee etc...? Gonna plan on the 3 gun for sure.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Awesome!  thanks!  Please bring it along, I'll probably need it.  I don't have a sling for my 870 either.  I've seen a few kits mail order, but they wouldn't arrive in time.

What do we need in regards to ammo?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome!  thanks!  Please bring it along, I'll probably need it.  I don't have a sling for my 870 either.  I've seen a few kits mail order, but they wouldn't arrive in time.

What do we need in regards to ammo?

I'm relying on memory...(those that know me know that this is dangerous)

Grab 150 rounds of bird shot.. light stuff. 50 rounds of Buck Shot. You won't use this much, but if you repeat a drill then extra could come in handy. The same for slugs (50) If you use three inch.. you must like to show off bruises.

I recomend tactical loadings.

All of my reccomendations are for bare class work. If you really want to "do it" add 30%. If you don't use the ammo at class, you will in practice.

1*
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Fedgunner has the shotgun-1 course load out correct.  I would also suggest that you pack rain gear!!!

I just cleaned out my Galyan's on 2 3/4 00 buckshot.  $4.99 a box, ouch!  

For those that are planning on attending the 3-gun training session, be ready to work!!!

Should we call you Capt Sobel?  (Just started watching Band of Brothers)
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does the Full Metal Jacket give you a hint!!!

Sounds like fun

I better start practicing my pushups.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Should we call you Capt Sobel?  (Just started watching Band of Brothers)

Does the Full Metal Jacket give you a hint!!!

Stay Safe,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
www.thedefensiveedge.com

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#26]

I'm starting to hear

CHECK YOUR SIX!

in my sleep.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#28]
"Unorganized Grabasstic Pieces of Amphibian Shit!"

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#29]
How much is the three gun class going to be and ammo needs also?
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#31]
::Karnak puts the envelope to his forehead::

"Push ups for FedGunner."

::Ed McMahon::

"The logical end to a course of fire."
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey Sully, I don't think pushups are discouraging Death451 anymore. You better bring the Taser.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I.........LOVE the taser it is fun.  You will  do a new dance called  the crappie flop,that dance rules.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#35]
^ That just might get him excited though.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I am EXCITED to Kick everyones asses at the three gun...and about the taser too.

Will it make me wet my pants though, that would be cool. Can't wait to feel the new one, it sounds way more powerful.

Just cut down the stock on my 870 about two inches just have to figure out a way to shape the recoil pad to fit the stock now. Any Ideas would be great.  Maybe a dremil?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Dependable AR needed for the 3 gun. I will be taking mine back to DPMS tomorrow for the second time and will not have any range time to test before Sunday. I hope they can get it working but I do not trust it until I shoot it for a while with no failures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top