Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 4:02:37 PM EDT
Hey Minnesota guys,

I'm doing a week in the Boundary Waters (no Quetico) end of this month, and I'm wondering if I can legally carry during the trip. Seeing as this area already bans certain kinds of food containers, it wouldn't suprise me if concealed weapons were also prohibited. I know Minnesota and Michigan have reciprocity, but I've googled this thing to death and haven't found this specific piece of information.

Thanks in advance...

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey Minnesota guys,

I'm doing a week in the Boundary Waters (no Quetico) end of this month, and I'm wondering if I can legally carry during the trip. Seeing as this area already bans certain kinds of food containers, it wouldn't suprise me if concealed weapons were also prohibited. I know Minnesota and Michigan have reciprocity, but I've googled this thing to death and haven't found this specific piece of information.

Thanks in advance...

michigan has nothing to do with the BWCA.  i would call the DNR and ask them...or search their website.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]

michigan has nothing to do with the BWCA. i would call the DNR and ask them...or search their website.

I appreciate the response, but the last thing I want to do is ask for permission from some mid-level Minnesota government functionary. With my luck, I'll get some bleeding-heart envirowhacko who dismisses the idea out of pure idealism. I don't want to make a big deal of this--my trip is only a few weeks away. I'm sure someone somewhere who is not anti-gun has this piece of information, I'm just poking around for a response from that person(s).
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
you can carry firearms into the boundary waters........and since Michigan has a reciprocal carry permit with Minnesota, should be no problem at all...............
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
inferno715 is right.  Michigan has nothing to do with the BWCA.  Canada, more specifically Ontario, butts up to the BWCA.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
On second thought, if you mean that you can carry in both Michigan & MN with your CHL/CCW license, you are right, but geographically there is no connection.  Note that WI prohibits CCW, so if you are a Youpper you have to case it while going through WI.  If you are coming from the lower peninsula you have to deal with IN & IL laws, too.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, I see why you've been stressing the "Michigan has nothing to do with BWCA": It's under my username that I'm in Michigan but I should've mentioned it specifically.

I live in MI and have a Concealed Pistol License.

FYI, I emailed someone at  Minnesota Concealed Carry Reform www.mnccrn.org/ccrn/ccrn.html and got the following response:

The "BWCA", as such, is part of Superior National Forest.  National
forests "assimilate" the carry permit laws of the state wherein they
are
located.  Thus, your Michigan permit should be good.  For first hand
information, I'd call the SNF headquarters and ask.

"Voyager National Park", on the other hand is a national park and, as
such, bans firearms unless unloaded, disasembled, and in a locked
transportation case.

Thanks for all the responses.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
doh!  i didn't realize you were from MI.  with the new layout here my screen is so wide i can't see where people are from.  

i would still call the DNR since that is who you would run into in that area.  if they start babbling you can always hang up the phone too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top