Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 7:12:40 AM EDT
Just wondering where you guys go to look at used handguns and rifles in the twin cities. Any good pawn shops or anything around?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Metro Gun & Pawn has a good selection.  They are just north of West 77th street in Bloomington/Richfield on the East side of Lyndale Avenue.  (just n. of 494 off Lyndale Exit.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Gunstop Enterprises
5667 Manitou Rd, Excelsior, MN 55331
Phone: (952) 474-0211
My favorite metro gunshop!  They have used stuff reasonable priced new stuff too!

J B Guns & Shooting Supplies
339 1st Ave W, Shakopee, MN 55379
Phone: (952) 496-0860
They have some used guns……….Never dealt with them

Outdoorsman Inc - CLOSED
1011 Mainstreet, Hopkins, MN 55343
Phone: (952) 933-3030
Again, they have some used guns.  They seem to love their CZ’s $$$$$$$$$$.

Metro Pawn & Gun
7529 Lyndale Ave S, Richfield, MN 55423
Phone: (612) 861-2727
They sure have  used stuff.  I never have bought from them.

Bill's Gun Shop & Range
4080 W Broadway Ave # 1, Robbinsdale, MN 55422
Phone: (763) 533-9594
They have changed hands so perhaps their prices might be better, but they are high priced.

J & S Guns & Ammo
17400 Kenwood Trl, Lakeville, MN 55044
Phone: (952) 435-7147
Lots of nice toys, but the used stuff is priced higher in some instances they new stuff at other vendors.

Gander Mountain
250 57th Ave NE, Fridley, MN 55432
Phone: (763) 571-8830

1747 Beam Ave, Maplewood, MN 55109
Phone: (651) 633-7343

7150 Valley Creek Plz # 210, Woodbury, MN 55125
Phone: (651) 735-6101

4900 South County Road 101
Minnetonka, MN 55345
Phone: (952) 474-4133

1780 County Road 42 West
Burnsville, MN 55337
Phone: (952) 435-3805

8030 Wedgewood Lane
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Phone: (763) 420-9800
To me all the GM’s are over priced on new and used stuff.

Roy's Sporting Goods
2819 Hamline Ave N, Roseville, MN 55113
Phone: (651) 636-3977
Looked around in there a few years ago.

Joe's Sporting Goods
935 Dale St N, St Paul, MN 55103
Phone: (651) 488-5511

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf's Den in Hugo, off of Hugo's 1 stoplight on Highway 61.

Al's Gun shop,  in White Bear Lake,  Highway 61 & County Road E (east of 61)
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say the Gunstop Enterprises has the best selection of new and used guns anywere in the Metro.   Probably the biggest selection of AR's in all of MN.

They don't rape you on prices or trades.

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd say the Gunstop Enterprises has the best selection of new and used guns anywere in the Metro.   Probably the biggest selection of AR's in all of MN.

It's true they have decent prices and selection, but I hate it when they act really condescending to me there...  When looking at an AR15 they ask what I'd be using it for...  To which I replied, "For Fun, plinking, and maybe some small game..."  At which point he jerked the AR out of my hands while I was looking at it, put it on the shelf, and handed me a Savage 112 Bolt rifle in 223 & said, "Then THIS is what you're looking for..."   Then I get the typical stuff (I'm pretty used to this) about, "That thar rifle's a GREAT fun shooter, much better than an AR!"  It just bugs me when people tell me what I want, what I need, and what I have to do...  There's a reason why I left my parent's house.  Perhap's the next time they get like that & ask what I'll use it for I'll simply tell them it's none of their frickin' business...

Needless to say I was immediately turned off from potentially buying anything there.  I'll do as I always do, and give them a second chance to not treat me like a 2 year old...

Edited:  There are only 2 gunshops in the Metro where I wasn't EVER treated like sh!t:

Koscielski's Guns (KGS Guns) which lost its FFL due to zoning restrictions while moving to a different shop.
Armored Fire Gunshop/Range - Jeff was always very nice to me, and gave me a great deal when transferring stripped lower receivers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The Gunstop is still one of the fairest priced dealers in the metro, that trades!  SW has most prices beat for a cash price.

Well, the prices at AF are not what I can call consumer friendly.  And, with upping the range rates to snag more $$ at AF because of the CCW law it make me a bit perturbed.  Plus being limited to certain time parameters is not m idea of good business.  And, so I stay away from there.  Plus it was not very well lit and the ventilation was not moving air to good.  Minor details.  But, everyone has their own experience to help them make choices.  JS in Burnsville is perhaps the worst pricing wise.

But with what appears to be a huge GM being built across 35 from them holy cow!

I think the best kept secret for indoor ranges for pistols is Dakotah Firing Range.  The rates are right.  And, it is never busy during the week.  Of course it has only 6 stations and fifty feet.  It still is quiet and the air moves through there!

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Frontiersman in St. Louis Park, 952-544-3775
I have had nothing but good experiences with them. The store is only 5 minutes from my work, so I am there on lunch break every couple of days or so. Some really nice guys and the prices are reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#8]
iNuhBaDNayburhood,
Are you sure that bad expierience was at the Gunstop?  That dosn't sound like Howard or Larry.  Those two guys are very helpful and are very knowledgeab; best in tne biz (IMHO).  I thought it was at the gun shop on 394 that they f'd you around (they treated me that way at the Frontiersman).  They also were very proud of their inventory and their prices reflected that notion.

I'm not diss'n you on the Gunstop story; just never heard anyone say that befor.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's true they have decent prices and selection, but I hate it when they act really condescending to me there...  When looking at an AR15 they ask what I'd be using it for...  To which I replied, "For Fun, plinking, and maybe some small game..."  At which point he jerked the AR out of my hands while I was looking at it, put it on the shelf, and handed me a Savage 112 Bolt rifle in 223 & said, "Then THIS is what you're looking for..."   Then I get the typical stuff (I'm pretty used to this) about, "That thar rifle's a GREAT fun shooter, much better than an AR!"  It just bugs me when people tell me what I want, what I need, and what I have to do...  There's a reason why I left my parent's house.  Perhap's the next time they get like that & ask what I'll use it for I'll simply tell them it's none of their frickin' business...

Needless to say I was immediately turned off from potentially buying anything there.  I'll do as I always do, and give them a second chance to not treat me like a 2 year old...

Edited:  There are only 2 gunshops in the Metro where I wasn't EVER treated like sh!t:

Koscielski's Guns (KGS Guns) which lost its FFL due to zoning restrictions while moving to a different shop.
Armored Fire Gunshop/Range - Jeff was always very nice to me, and gave me a great deal when transferring stripped lower receivers.

They probably took one look at you and,...ah,..well never mind.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
That's kewl, Sleepy717, I don't really like to say negative things about gunshops, especially since they're becoming a SERIOUSLY RARE commercial breed in the Metro Area...  I realize this was likely an isolated or rare thing to happen in their store.

The Gunstop seemed to have very knowledgable staff and had good prices on guns (used & new), and on reloading gear as well.  I presumed that I might look a little young and blonde.  That's two checks against me to most people.  As most of you certainly know I don't often presume to know everything (and certainly don't know everything), especially regarding guns...  I'm willing to listen and learn from those with more knowledge about these things.

The only reason why I went to the Gunstop was because MNBlaster & Jem375 recommended that I go there & check out their prices on Pre-Ban AR-15s...  That was the sole reason I was there...  To check pricing & selection.

Due to the fact that it's a pretty far drive out there for me I cannot go often.  When I did get out there it was pretty close to closing time, and I'm betting they just wanted to rush something on me or something so they get home sooner.  Who knows...  I'm usually just disappointed when I get condescending service or get treated rudely.  I then go back one or more times to see if I can get a repeat service performance or if it improves.

The same thing happened to me at the Frontiersman when I first was looking at getting an AR-15.  "You don't want an AR-15, you want this here Remington 700 BDL-ABCDEFG..." (I forgot which one)

I later got my AR lower through Armored Fire (because Bob & Jeff were ALWAYS nice to me), and built it myself since I couldn't afford A-F's prices for ARs.  Since I've bought cleaning supplies & stuff from Frontiersman, and they give me better service, and actually offer to help me or answer questions from time to time as well...

I'm sure if I shop more often at the Gunstop the same will happen, but it's so far out there I don't want to spend over an hour in my car (both ways assuming no traffic) to get treated rudely.

A little gem of a gunshop I found was Koscielski's (KGS) Guns in Minneapolis, and have bought 2 guns from them because of fantastic prices and nice service.  It's a HORRIBLE tragedy that they cannot renew their FFL due to zoning restrictions in MPLS for gunshops (regardless of the fact that it's much more lax zoning for pawn shops).  I'm pretty bummed about KGS losing their FFL due to a move.

Sorry for the long post...  My main point is that I also think it was an isolated incident at Gunstop, but cannot get out there easily to visit more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
When ever I walk into Gunstop, I look at Howard or Larry and think of the AM1500 Home and Garden show with Loren and Freddie. ;)

John is the crusty old bastard in the back who helps me out with reloading all the time. I kidded him one time that, "I see why you are such a fan of selling stuff online with that bedside manner"

He just grinned from ear to ear and Larry even let out a chuckle.

Seriously, though. If you wanted to go plinking and be accurate as all hell, an AR-15 is not the place to start. Which is probably why you were showed a bolt action.

What you should have said is you were looking for something to piss off the liberals with who borrow your mower and don't return in. Then they would have happily shown you their wares of AR-15s.

<rant>
I got into one discussion with them that almost made me walk out. It was about 1911s. They are such big fans of full length guide rods and kimbers, its actually quite silly.

I was going to bring up an article in handgun magazine that debunks the need for them, but, its their shop. They can spew whatever religion they want. I don't go there for preaching and sermons. I go there for deals on guns and advice on reloading. (and to get heckled by John as much as possible)
</rant>

-Warlock
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have stopped at most of the shops mentioned and been treated pretty good.  I have bought two handguns recently from Frontiersman and on the second they knocked 10.00 of the price even though it was a good price already for a used 9mm.  I swung by Bill's in Robinsdale the other sunday are they closed now on sundays or did I miss something else?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Gunstop has now moved to
14410 Excelsior Blvd, Glen Lake,MN

Location is a couple of miles west of the 494 loop.

Don't have a front sign up yet. In small strip mall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top