Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2003 6:22:27 PM EDT
To all of you who thought (or wanted to) about attending the Defensive Edge Carbine class last weekend...and didn't...your loss.  It was fantastic.  We went over maintenance in a realistic and practical manner.  Then moved off to the targets for a safety "lecture" and then the shooting began.  I learned a ton of stuff and it was basically nonstop instruction/action/shooting.  As Sully says, high speed, low drag and teflon coated.  There was only six of us there so the instruction was fast paced and personal.  We learned MANY different positions to shoot from and move/shoot ...man it was fun.  Sully is a very good instructor, and kept me riveted.

As a close, I'm still tired, and still smilin'!  It was a blast and I think it is safe to say I learned more about AR's and shooting and shooting positions than I have anywhere else.  I'd do this class again in a heartbeat.
I hope you other guys get the chance to do this class.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
This review is meant to piggy back on Sleepy's because he said the important stuff.

The day started hot... and got hotter!

The training was excellent.... Lots of exotic names for the fun stuff we were doing. The "Mozambique Drill", the "South African carry", "Melt down", the "Zipper" and the one stand out... the "Israeli two-step". You simply have not lived until you have seen Sully demonstrate this one, and the wake-up call when you do it yourself.

There was a good time had by all!(Except the part where Beerjaeger beat me by three seconds on the speed drill)

I don't know that I can say enough good about the program. We covered maintenance, the neat tools and the wide variety of solvents and lubricants, found out that Sully likes to mess with "red-dot" users by painting the targets red,(He was nice to us though..)

The physical side of the class will leave the out of shape puffing a little, but not too bad. knee and elbow pads I strongly recommend!

::looks at the rug burns on his elbows::

I almost think Sully missed his calling... A drill sergeant! I think he was having way too much fun yelling in our ears during a movement drill... but hey... I'll bet I keep that elbow in now.

On the equipment note... Get a "patrol" type sling. Midwest Tactical sold three of them this weekend. (there were only six of us there!) Greatest things since sliced bread.

I'd love to pass on the details of all we were taught... but that would be cheating you. You HAVE to take this course the next time it is offered. Hell, I'm going to take it again just for the fun!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm interested next time it comes around. With the holiday weekend, I had to work the night shifts for the 4th and 5th, and thought of having to miss this course every time I suited up for work!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It isn't easy always being #1.  

The last run I shot was 20.40 seconds, next best was my first w/ 25, then Fedgun w/ 28 seconds if I remember correct.

Shooting on the move is hard!!  But,... practice WILL make perfect.
All in all I was most impressed w/ the 2nd day, more trigger time and distance shooting.
Could of been a little hotter day.

highspeed is my middle name-

Thanks Sully-
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Sunday was fun enough that I bumped Fedgunner's  barrel and got a nice blister on my arm from the heat!  Yessir, it was a very memorable weekend.  Thanks Sully.  I need to get myself some of that Wolf ammo so I can practice clearing jams too!    I'm seriously considering one of those Y comp breaks too. Loud, yes.  Stay on target, yes.  Faster shooting, hell yes.
Sleepy717

PS Was everyone there a ARFCOM'r?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Sleepy, I didn't know you got blistered. Sorry guy!

Yup I do remember hearing "Damn that thing is loud" a few times. (Matter of fact I heard that EVERY time Beerjaeger stepped to the firing line.)

::chuckles::

We have to get together for another shoot!
(I still have some nickled LC ammo left)
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry I missed it, guys.  I'll have to make it the next time when it's not a holiday weekend.  

Hopefully Sully won't paint those targets "Trijicon Amber"

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I currently have a Colt 6700 HBar.  Would you guys consider that to heavy for a course like the Defensive Carbine class you just took?  IE: it's a 20" heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Icebite...
Yes, you can use a 20" HBAR without a problem.  If you take the same class, be ready to shoot..alot.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks.  I didn't know.  Obviously lighter is better, but didn't want to drop $200-300 on a new barrel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#10]
(flame suit on)
Lighter dosn't always = better.  Maybe if you're humpin' thru the woods and having to carry for miles on a hunting trip....I like my HBAR's and think I could have done just as well with my 20" (used my 16").  I think if I could get around the noise factor, Beerjager's 16" with a mini Y comp on it is my favorite.  There is almost zero recoil and no muzzle rise at all.  

So, shoot your 20" and spend the savings on more ammo.

Sleepy717

Edited to add:  I forgot my flame suit on; it was getting hot.  (Flame suit off)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top