Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2022 12:43:23 AM EDT
Sorry if I’m just not understanding or if these are stupid questions. I’ve been looking into KY laws and have a couple things I was wondering if anyone had any insight into…

1. Everything I can find says that to have a firearm in your vehicle it has to be secured in a compartment originally installed in the vehicle. Is this still the case with constitutional carry? I can’t just leave it holstered on my person in the car?

2. Land between the Lakes…I see that it is prohibited to have any firearms there unless going to the range or lawfully hunting. Although, they will unofficially allow it for CCDW licensees if they are not doing anything stupid. Is this still the case and to be trusted? That being said, have they ever said anything about being ok to have it with you simply driving through on the main roads to go somewhere else? Such as coming from the west and just driving through to Grand Rivers. I do not currently have a CCDW while awaiting a class and just taking advantage of constitutional carry.

3. Illinois…I try to avoid IL at all costs but have to travel through a small section if I’m going to Missouri. It appears that if you have a CCDW from your state of residence or live in a state that has constitutional carry, that you can keep it on you while in your car, but have to lock it up if you exit the vehicle. (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Constitutional_Carry_August_2018.pdf  ) Has anyone had any issues with this and is this correct?

4. Does anyone know of any upcoming CCDW classes upcoming on Western KY? I haven’t been able to find one and just missed the one at the local range.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I can only help with a small part of your questions:

Sorry if I’m just not understanding or if these are stupid questions. I’ve been looking into KY laws and have a couple things I was wondering if anyone had any insight into…

1. Everything I can find says that to have a firearm in your vehicle it has to be secured in a compartment originally installed in the vehicle. Is this still the case with constitutional carry? No, this has never been true. What the law says is that IF your gun is in any compartment installed by the original manufacturer, the gun is not considered to be a concealed weapon. So, if this is the case none of the laws concerning concealed weapons apply.  This all started years ago. The law originally said that a gun in the "glove compartment" was not considered concealed. A man was arrested and charged with illegally carrying a concealed weapon because he had his gun in a center console. He argued that center console and glove compartment were the same thing. He didn't even have a glove compartment in his car. The court disagreed and he was convicted by the Ky. Supreme Court. The next year the law was changed. IF you decide to place a gun in a compartment installed by the original manufacturer it is considered open carry. You are not required to do that, but IF YOU DO the gun is not considered concealed.  I can’t just leave it holstered on my person in the car? Constituional Carry overrides all of this. Yes, You can. You can have it on the seat, you can have it on the dash board, you can have it on the floor. You can have it stuck in your belt, boot, shoe, sock or lunch box. You CAN"T try to hide it, like under a blanket on the seat, or under newspapers and you CAN"T put it under the seat. You really have to work at it to make a gun a concealed weapon in a car in Ky. and since we have Constitutional Carry it doesn't much matter if you do conceal it. You're allowed to have concealed weapons.

2. Land between the Lakes…I see that it is prohibited to have any firearms there unless going to the range or lawfully hunting. Although, they will unofficially allow it for CCDW licensees if they are not doing anything stupid. Is this still the case and to be trusted? That being said, have they ever said anything about being ok to have it with you simply driving through on the main roads to go somewhere else? Such as coming from the west and just driving through to Grand Rivers. I do not currently have a CCDW while awaiting a class and just taking advantage of constitutional carry. I can't help much here. The rules here seem to change daily and depend on what law enforcement agency is involved.

3. Illinois…I try to avoid IL at all costs but have to travel through a small section if I’m going to Missouri. It appears that if you have a CCDW from your state of residence or live in a state that has constitutional carry, that you can keep it on you while in your car, but have to lock it up if you exit the vehicle. (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Constitutional_Carry_August_2018.pdf  ) Has anyone had any issues with this and is this correct? My daughter lives in St. Louis so I have this problem all the time and I don't know the answer. I just keep one handy and have never had a problem, but that doesn't mean I won't, some day.

4. Does anyone know of any upcoming CCDW classes upcoming on Western KY? I haven’t been able to find one and just missed the one at the local range. No. Check with your Sheriff's office and Facebook.

Thanks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
@softpoint

Thank you for the info. I plan to get the CCDW when I can get into a class. I thought that constitutional carry would override all of that but nothing I read specifically stated that. I assume the laws would still have to stay on the books for prohibited persons, etc.

It sucks that Kentucky seems pretty good on firearms law, as does Tennessee and Missouri, but then you have to deal with the restrictions of places I will only be in for minutes to get around.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
@Bundy34

https://gunmonkeyfirearms.com/upcoming-training%2Fevents

Crofton, KY CCDW class.  GM is good people.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@softpoint

Thank you for the info. I plan to get the CCDW when I can get into a class. I thought that constitutional carry would override all of that but nothing I read specifically stated that. I assume the laws would still have to stay on the books for prohibited persons, etc.

It sucks that Kentucky seems pretty good on firearms law, as does Tennessee and Missouri, but then you have to deal with the restrictions of places I will only be in for minutes to get around.
View Quote

Unless I'm mistaken somehow or not understanding your question, constitutional carry does override the need/requirement for a CCDW license in KY.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the link to Gun Monkey. They are about an hour and a half away but it’s the only one I know of so I may give them a call.

I know the constitutional carry took away the need for the CCDW. I was concerned with having to have it in a compartment in the vehicle as nothing I could find specifically said otherwise. Most of the carry law websites kept mentioning in their ‘firearm in vehicle sections’. I guess I’m just being overly cautious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top