Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2019 8:36:04 PM EDT
There is a chance we're moving to Paducah for the job.  I have a couple questions.

First, is it true that, if the Kentucky Dam at Land Between the Lakes fails/blows that it would wipe Paducah out?  Since the dam is south of Paducah, I would think the water would go south.  Is it true about Paducah getting wiped out, or was the person who told me that just messing with me?

I know someone over in Carbondale.  His wife hates the area because there is a few inches of poor dirt and then clay beneath.  What is the ground like in Paducah?  Is it like southern Illinois or can you actually grow a garden there?

I know Kentucky is pretty gun friendly.  Are there good outdoor ranges where you can shoot?  I was in southern Oklahoma for awhile and there no ranges because everyone owned their own land.  I didn't shoot for a couple years when we were trapped there.

Any other information about Paducah that you'd care to tell me would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Ky and Barkley dam both hold back rivers that are flowing south to north at their impoundment. The TN and Cumberland rivers flow north before emptying into the Ohio river. But these dams are very safe unlike some others in the Commonwealth.

Paducah has some good ranges in the area that are reasonable in price.

Soil will grow a garden not the best but plenty good for a garden. Plenty of farmland in the area.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If the dam would breach, it would only flood the plants in Calvert City.
Soil is good, I have had a garden for 20 years, and it produces well.
Ranges? Lots around, and DNR land as well.

BFG
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know the area well, but if you're into roller derby you're in luck.  The West Kentucky Rockin' Rollers are outstanding - and if you have kids, they have a junior league too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the dam would breach, it would only flood the plants in Calvert City.
Soil is good, I have had a garden for 20 years, and it produces well.
Ranges? Lots around, and DNR land as well.

BFG
View Quote
Then why does Paducah have all those flood walls? If the dams were to fail, most of Paducah would be under water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top