Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2017 11:55:26 PM EDT
I got my latest issue of Guns & Ammo on Friday. There is an article ranking all the states laws and rating their friendliness to gun possession. Ky is ranked #14. Last year we were ranked #11.  The following states outrank us now:
AZ (scored 50 out of 50, the only state that did), AK, KS, OK, MT, UT, ND, GA, TX, MO, TN, FL and WV.  The criteria for the rankings were on 4 categories, Right to carry(shall issue vs. may issue vs. constitutional carry. We took a hit here, 8 out of 10), Black Rifle restrictions(10 out of 10), NFA restrictions(10 out of 10), Castle doctrine(10 out of 10), Miscellaneous( general gun friendliness, preemption, reciprocity, gun culture etc. 9 out of 10 for KY).

KY laws haven't gotten any worse, it just that so many other states are passing better, less restrictive gun laws and we aren't. The lack of a constitutional carry law was a big hit, but some other things hurt us, too. All of the states above us have strong airport laws, as well as college campus carry and some of them, K-12 school carry The states that passed us are MO, ND, FL & ND. ND moved from 15 to 7. If we keep this up, we will soon be ranked with Delaware, Rhode Island and Minnesota, unless they pass us up, too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#1]
On the other hand, there is a silver lining to this.   Within the US, many states are improving.   More are improve than those going down the toilet.   KY is stagnant and moves at a snails pace.   That is nothing new.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You are right. We were at least 5 years behind many other states in getting concealed carry in 1996. Hell, we were about 25 years behind Indiana getting it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Still states like Tenn,  which is rated higher, doesn't have better laws in my opinion. There signage laws suck. If you miss a sign you are convicted of a gun crime if caught. In Ky your asked to leave cause the sign carries no weight of law. Trespassing is the worst you get if you don't leave.

Other states ahead of us like Florida with no open carry laws can cause problems if your shirt slips up over your concealed carry and now your brandishing.

Ky should be higher up that list. Those categories don't show the whole picture.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Since neither you nor I write articles for nationally published magazines, our opinions on this subject don't matter much. The writers and publishers did the rankings using what criteria they thought appropriate.

You may make some valid points, but the facts are that other states are moving forward while Ky. is not. If you are happy with what we've got, stick around because it will be the same in 20 years the way we are going. We will then be rated #44 and we will still have the same laws, that you seem to be happy with. I take no pleasure in the fact that Tennessee has problems. I don't live there. Their problems don't make my life any better. I want to see Ky. move up on that list, not slip further and further down it, as other states leapfrog over us.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I am have the same view as CountryGunner.  

Still, Softpoint, you are EXACTLY right.   The state has to make some big changes AND make constant smaller improvements.   This has to become a hostile state for anti-gunners.   Otherwise, it will slip into becoming hostile to pro-gun people.  

Louisville is notorious for being easy on thugs and aggressively going after obvious self defense shooters.   (Louisville is a sewer.   It may be full of money, but it is a sewer full of money, nasty money.)
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Soft point your always so damn ready to argue with someone or prove wrong in their statements how do you ever get anybody to listen to what you have to say.

Your as controversial at the left.

I'm not at all happy with our laws not moving forward with other states but I disagree with them saying our laws aren't as good as others. I'm glad I live where I live and wouldn't move to Alaska or Arizona for constitutional carry.  I would like more room to carry in other places in our state starting with schools.

The reason laws haven't changed on that is because of insurance reasons. If we as Gun community could actually give to receive I think we could gain ground there. If insurance companies would allow some form of training to a degree they would release some liability on these schools they would allow more people to carry now without changing any laws.

Ky allow school carry for ccdw right now with written permission from a school official. They won't though because of liability.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soft point your always so damn ready to argue with someone or prove wrong in their statements how do you ever get anybody to listen to what you have to say.

Your as controversial at the left.

I'm not at all happy with our laws not moving forward with other states but I disagree with them saying our laws aren't as good as others. I'm glad I live where I live and wouldn't move to Alaska or Arizona for constitutional carry.  I would like more room to carry in other places in our state starting with schools.

The reason laws haven't changed on that is because of insurance reasons. If we as Gun community could actually give to receive I think we could gain ground there. If insurance companies would allow some form of training to a degree they would release some liability on these schools they would allow more people to carry now without changing any laws.

Ky allow school carry for ccdw right now with written permission from a school official. They won't though because of liability.
View Quote

If I am not controversial, I need to up my game. I intend to be controversial. I intend to be in the face of anyone who refuses to respect my right to self-defense. I intend to argue with anyone who will attempt to restrict my right to carry a gun, as long as I do it in compliance with the laws of this state.

I am always ready to argue with someone or about something that I think is clearly wrong. I am not the least bit shy about it. I certainly would never be able to convince anybody of anything if I stood by and just let whatever they said go by without challenging it when it was wrong. The only way to convince people of anything is to show them where they are mistaken and prove it. With that being said, I think most of what you said in your post is wrong.

What "insurance companies" are not allowing "training" in Ky.? What kind of "training"  do you think they could "allow"? How do they do that, exactly? "Insurance companies" don't have any control over firearms training and can't allow or not allow the recognition of any firearms training. In this state, only the General Assembly can mandate firearms training and only they can decide what training is acceptable or unacceptable. This is laughable.

Ky. schools can allow anyone they want to carry(as long as that person can legally own a gun). It is not limited to CCDW holders. Some school boards in Ky., have allowed carry in their schools and do so, today. Sadly, they are all private schools. No public school board has done so, to my knowledge. There are over 20 public school districts in Ohio that allow some armed persons at their schools. It has caused no problems. How is their "liability" different than here in Ky.? So, if you want your children protected properly, send them to a private school or one of these schools in Ohio. The reason that public school boards won't allow guns on their property is that they fear the blame if something goes wrong. They think that they can't be blamed if they take no action at all. They are wrong. Many of us will blame them. How many here on this forum know who is on the school boards in their county? How many here have run for election to a school board? How do you think this will change, if we keep the same school board members? Local school boards are not going to do this. The only way that carry will ever be allowed on public school property is when the General Assembly orders it.

"Liability" is a legal term and is not subject to the whims of "insurance companies". Insurance companies can not adjust "liability" up or down as they want, such as you suggest. The insurance companies must pay claims based on the liability determined by the laws of the state. Only the General Assembly and the courts can increase or decrease "liability". This is also laughable.

I am not willing to give up anything for better gun laws. We fought too hard to get what we have and I'll not stand by silently and watch any of it taken back. That is not progress. That will not move us up that chart at Guns & Ammo. What do you suggest that we surrender for constitutional carry? What will you give away for school carry? What will you exchange for carry on college campuses? What will we have left after you give all of it away?

No one suggested that anybody move to any state because that state had constitutional carry or for any other reason. I want to see all gun free zones on public property gone in KY.  I have lived in KY my entire life and have no plans to leave. During the time I have left, I intend to advocate for better gun laws, not oversee the surrender of the ones we have now. I'll not agree to give up anything. That is not progress that is capitulation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Between Louisville's EBT peeps and Lexington's "HEEEEY!" mayor, we aren't going upwards anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Between Louisville's EBT peeps and Lexington's "HEEEEY!" mayor, we aren't going upwards anytime soon.
View Quote

I am not sure I understand how people that use EBT in Louisville or Lexington's
mayor influence state gun laws that come out of Frankfort.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The interest of people like John Yarmouth isn't people like us.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The interest of people like John Yarmouth isn't people like us.
View Quote

Once again, I don't know what that means. Not only do I not understand what you mean, but don't see any connection between this magazine article and John Yarmuth. John Yarmuth doesn't have a say in Ky.'s state laws. Our state laws were the subject of both this thread and the magazine article.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think he means the gun crimes in Louisville’s projects and mayor grey wanting the ‘fabulous’ gun laws of New York are not helping gun laws that come out of Frankfort.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think he means the gun crimes in Louisville’s projects and mayor grey wanting the ‘fabulous’ gun laws of New York are not helping gun laws that come out of Frankfort.
View Quote
The problems in Louisville and Lexington have never helped with Ky.'s gun laws, but those laws, passed, anyway. Lexington and Louisville are generally ignored in Frankfort, when it comes to guns. If the mayors of Louisville and Lexington had their way, they would make their own gun laws, but they have never been given that authority. The state legislators from Louisville and Lexington have proposed more restrictive gun laws every year and those laws never pass, even when the Dems. were in the majority. Louisville and Lexington cannot be expected to "help". They won't do it, but they are generally ignored when it comes to gun laws. Most of the larger cities all over the country are under the control of liberals and those cities have the same problems and they ask for the same solutions that Lexington and Louisville ask for, yet those other states have managed to pass better gun laws than Ky. in spite of the large cities. St. Louis is a good example. It's much larger than Louisville, more crime, more murders, more gangs, yet Missouri passes constitutional carry and other laws that we can't get here. The influence of Louisville and Lexington is no greater than it has always been. In fact, they have isolated themselves even more, now that the Republicans are running Frankfort. The problem is getting the legislators from the rest of the state to recognize that the entire country is moving forward and we are standing still.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with everyone here ... LOL  

At this time, we need to be more concerned about US House HR 3999 ... I really don't care about 'bump stocks', but that HR is very bad.

I sorta maybe kinda have a novelty use for a binary trigger, but not as a 'real' use.   If letting go of a trigger makes another bang, that could have all kindsa unintended consequences, even for the very careful among us.

Quick someone go and invent another gimmick so next time that happens, they ban the gimmick and not the gun.   Seems like a valid strategy to me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Still states like Tenn,  which is rated higher, doesn't have better laws in my opinion. There signage laws suck. If you miss a sign you are convicted of a gun crime if caught. In Ky your asked to leave cause the sign carries no weight of law. Trespassing is the worst you get if you don't leave.
View Quote
Good point.  And some establishments in TN have shitty ass signs - like "Fido" in Nashville had a clear-backed "no gun" sticker on a glass door; the only reason we saw it was because I specifically looked for signs.  One restaurant in Clarksville had no signs until you stepped inside - which meant you were already violating the sign just by reading it.

And while yes there's shitty signage in KY too, but at least it's not a criminal offense to ignore it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top