Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 6:50:09 PM EDT
I live in Indiana and hold a IN CCW permit.  I know that Kentucky honors my permit and allowws open carry, as does IN.  I tried calling the Kentucky State Police on this but the lady on the phone told me KY honors my permit then hung up.  My question:  Can I legally open carry in KY as a non-resident from IN?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup.

packing.org
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
call the Jefferson COunty Sheriff's office. They will be able to tell you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I My question:  Can I legally open carry in KY as a non-resident from IN?

Yes, open carry is legal in Kentucky regardless of your state of residence. Now some folks are going to tell you that you'll be the first to be shot in a robbery attempt, your gun will be snatched and used against you, the police will shoot you on sight, there will be public hysteria if someone sees it, etc. Never happened to me though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If you walk around Louisville openly carrying a gun on your hip, someone will call the police, and they will most likely show up and ask you to put it away. I don't care how legal open carry is, it is stupid to announce to everyone around you that you are armed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont plan on doing this anytime but I will be carrying in KY at some point, Florence area, and just wanted to be clear on the law.  I had looked it up on packing.org and was still unsure and the woman at the KSP was NO help.  Figured someone has to know on here.  Wanted to be sure just in case I found myself there w/o proper clothing to conceal a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
pd's in kentucky do not handle CCW questions, Sheriff's departments do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you walk around Louisville openly carrying a gun on your hip, someone will call the police, and they will most likely show up and ask you to put it away. I don't care how legal open carry is, it is stupid to announce to everyone around you that you are armed.

The thing is, when they tell you to "put it away", you say no and that's that. The police have no legal right to ask you to do that and they know it. I know more than one person that open-carrys in Louisville.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've done it in Louisville several times and the police have never shown up to do anything. Stupid or not, I still do it when ever I want and none of those urban legends have ever happened to me. Guess I'm just lucky.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always heard the same BS, and I've never been challenged.  I think the key is looking like you're carrying a hammer or any other tool, just like when it's concealed.  You keep adjusting and fidgeting with it, folks are going to think you're doing something you shouldn't.

Michael
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Tahnks for all the input and clearing this up for me.  I think I call the sheriffs dept where I will be carrying just to be 100% sure.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Kentucky recognizes all Valid CCDW Permits from all States. Look under below listed Statute Section (17) (a).

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/110.PDF
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#12]
How common is it to see people open carrying in KY? I'm just curious, as I am most likely moving near Louisville this summer. And if YOU open carry I am very interested in finding out your experiences with it. IM me if you don't want to post. I hate the idea of registering myself or any gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Its fairly common around here. Today it was 60 degrees so I carried open. Just saw an older guy a couple of days ago in Walmart open carrying. Its not something you see every day, but its far from rare. I've had one police office ask me if I was a LEO in about 20 years of carrying. Other than that, nothing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I would never open carry in a public place. That is just begging for attention. I don't like attention.  Hiking/camping is another matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top