Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2020 12:54:38 PM EDT
[https://www.wfsb.com/news/ct-lawmaker-proposes-percent-sales-tax-on-ammunition/article_b6dd4958-4e67-11ea-860b-bfe8fbdc4f99.html

HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) - A lawmaker is proposing a 35 percent tax on ammunition sales.

State Rep. Jillian Gilchrest held a news conference Thursday morning about her proposal, at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.

Gilchrest said her bill would use the sales tax to fund gun violence protection.

FJG
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like they are trying to stay out in front of Virginia.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
They might as well package it with a $5 fee for voting which would go directly to fund voter fraud prevention.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They might as well package it with a $5 fee for voting which would go directly to fund voter fraud prevention.
View Quote
Dont give them any ideas!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Use some of the federal funds that were just appropriated for the domestic violence issue. Didn't the feds just pony-up about a billion-billion dollars to our fine state for that? Gun violence/domestic violence... Same/same.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]
<-------------Off to SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I figured in my old age, I would treat myself alittle and buy factory ammo and stop reloading.
Good thing I didn't sell my press, might have to go back to it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup. I didn't go nuts, but I have a decent order coming in. I've been shooting more this year than recent past but I've also been buying ammo well in excess of use. I've got more on hand than at any point in the past and plan to continue to increase that. I'm also shooting a lot more 22lr in place of full caliber loads to reduce my burn rate on drills where dealing with recoil doesn't matter. I'm not the only one. A lot of guys at the range seem to be doing the same.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup. I didn't go nuts, but I have a decent order coming in. I've been shooting more this year than recent past but I've also been buying ammo well in excess of use. I've got more on hand than at any point in the past and plan to continue to increase that. I'm also shooting a lot more 22lr in place of full caliber loads to reduce my burn rate on drills where dealing with recoil doesn't matter. I'm not the only one. A lot of guys at the range seem to be doing the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny you say that. I am going to "build" a .22LR upper that is a clone of a 5.56mm upper just for practice purposes. can spend 3-6 cents per shot instead of 25-30.

If you go for match ammo maybe 10 cents for .22LR and 50-60 cents for 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup. I have a conversion for my 1911 and a conversion for an AR, but no dedicated build. It's always been on the list but I haven't quite gotten to it. Maybe now's the time. I've got the parts from various other uppers, I'd just need the bolt and barrel setup I think. Of course, then the question is how much to spend on the barrel. Do I get a precision barrel or just a general purpose one?

In the end I usually come back to, if I'm gonna do this I might as well just buy a Ruger RPR and a couple BX mags. I don't NEED an AR setup. Heck, I could just rebuild my 10/22 into something nice. I've priced that out half a dozen times but it's still in basic sporter mode with fiber optic sights.

Yesterday I shot about 250 rounds of 22 and 50 of 9mm. My friend shot about 75 9mm from her carry gun and then another 100 from my P320 along with more 22, then we went and did rifles outside. If we'd done the same ratio rimfire to centerfire on rifles it would have cut my ammo costs in half.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yup. I have a conversion for my 1911 and a conversion for an AR, but no dedicated build. It's always been on the list but I haven't quite gotten to it. Maybe now's the time. I've got the parts from various other uppers, I'd just need the bolt and barrel setup I think. Of course, then the question is how much to spend on the barrel. Do I get a precision barrel or just a general purpose one?

In the end I usually come back to, if I'm gonna do this I might as well just buy a Ruger RPR and a couple BX mags. I don't NEED an AR setup. Heck, I could just rebuild my 10/22 into something nice. I've priced that out half a dozen times but it's still in basic sporter mode with fiber optic sights.

Yesterday I shot about 250 rounds of 22 and 50 of 9mm. My friend shot about 75 9mm from her carry gun and then another 100 from my P320 along with more 22, then we went and did rifles outside. If we'd done the same ratio rimfire to centerfire on rifles it would have cut my ammo costs in half.
View Quote
I would redo the 10/22, but that's just me.

Why deal with so much bullshit, when there is no real need?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
There will be a public hearing on this proposed tax on 02/27.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB05040&which_year=2020

Rob Sampson yesterday on this bill:

Senator Sampson Ammo Tax Bill HB-5040 2 19 20
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would redo the 10/22, but that's just me.

Why deal with so much bullshit, when there is no real need?
View Quote
I think my resistance is that every time I start, the price exceeds the cost of a whole new firearm. Barrel, stock, trigger, optics mount... about $500 easy, on a $150 plinker... Versus a RPR in 22LR? Seems silly to not just buy the rifle. Maybe I'll just go to Hoffman's and buy the damn thing. If nothing else, it'll save me from bitching that the stock I pick doesn't fit properly with the particular gen receiver I've got, or that the stupid silver paint they used on the 10/22 receiver is flaking... I'll leave the cheapie as just that. Hell, I spent more on 22LR ammo in the past week than the RPR will run me. It's not hoarding if you're actively using it up, right?

Anyway, on topic, are we just assuming this will pass now?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Can we also make this the official ammo deals thread?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can we also make this the official ammo deals thread?
View Quote
Not a bad idea...

@andrapos

A pin/tack maybe?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Midway has some 22lr bricks on sale at decent prices. I just bought more. Seems to ONLY be bricks, no cases. Always amusing when it's cheaper to buy it in bricks than in cases. I miss 2c a round 22lr, but 4 for decent quality isn't bad.
SG has Tula/Wolf 9mm about as cheap as I've seen it in recent memory. Again, just bought more. I'm now spent out on ammo for a long while. Got reloading to do and maybe some more MTM boxes and totes, but no more ammo is being bought other than one offs here or there for testing or video purposes.

I piled up my totes and cans last night after reorganizing a few things and I can't tell if it makes me feel crazy that I have so much or so little. As far as an ammo fort goes it's more like a fortified cub scout campsite. But, it's more ammo than I've had on hand in a lot of years, maybe ever. Fingers crossed for another four years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If they want money to combat "gun violence" how about they start enforcing the associated fines of $5-10,000 for illegal and criminal possession which are virtually never applied.  The drug dealers, ex cons and gangbangers who commit the vast majority of so called gun violence are flush with cash, or take it out of their prison pay or social benefits.  Or would that be deemed insensitive or discriminatory.  Poor little criminals.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If they want money to combat "gun violence" how about they start enforcing the associated fines of $5-10,000 for illegal and criminal possession which are virtually never applied.  The drug dealers, ex cons and gangbangers who commit the vast majority of so called gun violence are flush with cash, or take it out of their prison pay or social benefits.  Or would that be deemed insensitive or discriminatory.  Poor little criminals.
View Quote
Yup.

It proves they don't really care about gun violence.

It's just like high school. The bullies and trouble makers get off easy. The good students are the ones who get punished
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#18]
The only crime they are concerned with regarding guns is making sure it is a crime to own one. Anything else is just a stepping stone to that point.

ETA: Make sure you at least submit an email saying you oppose the tax and the same to your state rep and senator. It may not help but it can't hurt either. Hopefully there's a good turnout at the hearing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Any updates on what happened with this yesterday?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I am 35 minutes into the CT-N video.  Gilchrest is a vile cunt.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm 6 hours and 47 minutes into this "hearing".  While there are some people talking about the 2nd and the CT constitution, most are talking about the money.  "Law abiding citizen" is used often with further descriptions of all the permits CT requires for gun and ammunition purchases.  How people describe these bullshit laws and how they display their acceptance is disturbing to me.

Lots of "I'm black and can't afford it.", "I'm hispanic and can't afford it.", I'm a woman and can't afford it.", I'm a mother and can't afford it.", "I'm poor old dude and can't afford it."

There are some 2A advocates such as Holly Sullivan, and my representative Doug Dubitsky, but most of them are yapping about the money.  I wonder how many of the ones yapping about money did not support us in 2013.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm 6 hours and 47 minutes into this "hearing".  While there are some people talking about the 2nd and the CT constitution, most are talking about the money.  "Law abiding citizen" is used often with further descriptions of all the permits CT requires for gun and ammunition purchases.  How people describe these bullshit laws and how they display their acceptance is disturbing to me.

Lots of "I'm black and can't afford it.", "I'm hispanic and can't afford it.", I'm a woman and can't afford it.", I'm a mother and can't afford it.", "I'm poor old dude and can't afford it."

There are some 2A advocates such as Holly Sullivan, and my representative Doug Dubitsky, but most of them are yapping about the money.  I wonder how many of the ones yapping about money did not support us in 2013.
View Quote
Sadly, the money and minority aspect is probably more effective at stopping it than the fact that it is yet another violation of our rights. They already knew that and don't care, but the optics of picking on poor people? That they care about. The economic hardship aspect is something I pushed in my emails. I pointed out that there are many folks who enjoy perfectly legal shooting activities but a 35% tax would be a serious economic hardship, shooting isn't just for the wealthy. I also pointed out that the criminals don't use much ammo and probably didn't buy it in store anyway. But really they are looking at it purely as a way to further cause hardship to active gun owners and raise funds for their agenda. I pointed out that it would probably raise far less than expected, much like their bag tax did.

Basically, you have to attack THEIR motivations and make it less attractive. They couldn't care less about our rights, that's not going to carry the day no matter how valid it is. Being morally right doesn't protect you from anything.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I’d think talking about the money aspect would only serve to vindicate what they are attempting to do.

Everyone that goes up there and says they can’t afford it, is a person they consider a victory against.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#24]
They will never collect one cent of that tax and they know it, not their goal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Cabelas

AE 55gr .223 $5.97 per 20 rounds

CCI Blazer 9mm $8.79 per 50 rounds

With Cabelas black card it works out to 28 cents per round for AE and 16 cents per round for Blazer.

They dont have any in stock but will write a rain check if you ask up in the gun section.

Totally unrelated, but Gary Yamamoto Senkos are also 20% off. I use them almost exclusively for Bass fishing and I've never even seen them on sale before so to say I stocked up would be an understatement.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
but why would you want to use AE 5.56? You want to actually HIT something, right?  :P
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
but why would you want to use AE 5.56? You want to actually HIT something, right?  :P
View Quote
A poor shot always has a good excuse.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Suppressive fire isn't meant to be accurate
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A poor shot always has a good excuse.
View Quote
Lol
true, true.

I don't think I've ever gotten better than about a 4moa group out of the stuff. I just did a test that included the 62gr version and Tula 55gr. The Tula was more precise and consistent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lol
true, true.

I don't think I've ever gotten better than about a 4moa group out of the stuff. I just did a test that included the 62gr version and Tula 55gr. The Tula was more precise and consistent.
View Quote
Damn, thanks for the info.

This is just range fodder, it mostly slings at steel plates 100 yards away.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Every rifle's different, but AE has always been horrible for me. I've yet to shoot it and be satisfied with the groups. As banging steel , if I'm not trying for head shots offhand where I could be halfway off to one side and then miss entirely, fine. But at 200 yards it would be main plate only.
I'm one of those folks where cheap doesn't trump results, I'm not shooting a high enough round count for that, and most of my shooting is 100 and 200 with a focus on precision rather than speed. If I was focused on speed and volume I'd feel differently.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I get that 100%. AE isn’t exactly my go to but I have no problem using it to practice going from low ready to getting a shot on steel at 100 yards or less.

It’s also what comes with me when bringing guests to the range. Or otherwise plinking.

Either way, buy it cheap stack it deep. It’s not hurting my feelings being in my possession.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, as a "hey, this is how you hold it, this is how you line up the sights..." it's great. I mostly use a 22lr for that, then I have some basic hand loads. Definitely cheaper is better for that all the way through.
I make fun of AE a lot, and honestly it's not really fair to the ammo. It's dirt cheap rejects from the military procurement. There was never any expectation of precision, it's reliable and inexpensive, that's the criteria. I think it's a reaction to the hype years back where everyone was on the XM855 bandwagon and it was the best thing since sliced bread. A buddy also got a bad batch that regularly jammed up his rifle. I don't know what he did with the rest of it but we only managed to fire a couple hundred rounds of the 1k case he bought. If nothing else we both got real good at malfunction drills. That was almost a decade ago though and was definitely an anomaly.

My main mil-spec ammo is PPU M193 because it's reasonably accurate out of my original two AR uppers and I liked the plastic battlepack format for storage. But as a percentage of my ammo camp (it's not really up to fort standards yet) it's minor. Rifle ammo is generally a lot cheaper to load so I have done that for years and always loaded more than I was shooting. For my own shooting I'm much more interested in precision so the cheaper factory stuff didn't have much appeal. I am doing more high volume shooting now so there's definitely a place for cheap factory options that there wasn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top