Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2020 11:49:13 PM EDT
Hi all, long time follower first time poster.

I have found 3 owners of Eagle Arms rifles willing to sell but, as usual, I am having trouble verifying pre-ban status.  All 3 are numeric, no letters.  Two are 4 digits, one is 5 digits.

IMPORTANT DETAIL:  One of the sellers actually has the original purchase receipt on EA letterhead, etc.  showing date of purchase sometime in 1990.  He himself is a FFL and his number ID is listed on the receipt as well.

I tried Armalite and they cannot confirm in writing as they have no access to the old data (etc etc, the usual stuff).  They say they are most likely pre ban but won't put it in writing due to legal risks.

Then I called the ATF (3 times) and some helpful lady noted down my contact info and said she would forward to a field agent who "will call me back when possible".  Honestly, I don't expect much help there either.

Finally, I asked two FFLs I know if they would transfer the lower that comes with the purchase receipt. One of them said yes, the other one is not sure and said I would have to buy it first and he would call it in with the State Police to verify pre ban ... which sounds too risky, what if they don't accept the receipt and ask for the manufacturer's letter (dead end).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... is the original purchase receipt OK?  If I do get it shipped to the FFL, do State Police confirm serial numbers through their own access to ATF data?  or is the lower going to get stuck at the FFL and I will have wasted money?...

thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Call Delta Arsenal and ask if they will transfer it. If they will send it there and enjoy your new gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one myself in the 12000 range with a letter of proof.
I believe according to stats on the internet that around  30000 is the cutoff. If the they say eagle arms coal valley they’re preban, but a letter from armalite will give you piece of mind
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks both, will you be able to share your latter with me (with redacted personal info) to at least have a reference point?  granted, not the same serial number but if yours is higher and preban then my lower numbers should be preban too ... I hope that would work if ever questioned...
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI, the ATF isn't going to be any help, neither is the State Police.
As edge said, if Delta will take the task of transferring it, it says something about their certainty in the validity as a preban.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
What area are you in? I know an FFL that will transfer
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Echoing comments about Delta. They seem to be knowledgeable about what is and is not a preban. Last I checked they do not ask for anything from you or the State to do that. Now from a personal perspective, it's all about how comfortable you are knowing you've got a preban despite not having some kind of official letter. At one point not too long ago, Armalite was able to validate preban status for a lower. A more recent request for a different lower ended with them saying they couldn't verify. I'd say that if you want a piece of paper for peace of mind, the guy who has the original sales receipt would be your best option.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Tbr1806,

I am in western Fairfield county, not far from the border with NY.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
So folks, in general, when a FFL calls in a pre ban rilfe to complete the transfer who actually Ok's the transfer by verifying that the firearm is indeed pre ban?

I am asking because it sounds like no one has access to official pre ban serial numbers (especially if the manufacturer is out of business), neither the FFL nor local/state authorities. So, how is the firearm cleared for the transfer??
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The state does not verify anything about the firearm when they call in for an authorization number. They just verify that the buyer's permit is valid and issue the number.

Making sure the item complies with the law is up to the seller. This is why some FFLs won't touch pre bans without proof  in the form of a letter from the manufacturer. Some FFLs won't play with pre bans no matter what.

This is why I suggested Delta Arsenal in Wallingford. They are up on this stuff and will transfer it only if legal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
edge - appreciate the process explanation.  I called Delta today and they seemed to be OK just with the fact that the serial number is in the reputed pre ban range ... I was very surprised to hear that since there is no accessible source out there for anyone to readily verify pre ban serial numbers.

I did hear that "as long as it's below 28,000 or something then it's preban" but no one can actually verify.  Makes you wonder if that magic 28,000 number is real or urban legend.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think it's urban legend. If I recall correctly the Coal Valley factory shut down prior to the AWB cut off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Kenny - I agree that is a fact, but in a SHTF situation where the state might be prosecuting you wouldn't you want to have a preban confirmation for your defense?   same goes for the FFL who will do the transfer,  but maybe I am just too paranoid and overthinking this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh I get it. Fact of the matter is you're paying a huge premium to stay within the letter of our dumb laws, so you want to make damn sure you're paying that premium for good reason. That's why it seems like the guy offering the original sales receipt may be your best bet. It's too bad Armalite no longer has the records because Eagle Arms are good preban lowers. Forged, not cast like PWA or Olympic Arms. Good luck whatever route you go with!
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks Kenny et al.  I will probably go with Delta since they are comfortable validating pre ban status based on serial numbers alone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The state does not verify anything about the firearm when they call in for an authorization number. They just verify that the buyer's permit is valid and issue the number.

Making sure the item complies with the law is up to the seller. This is why some FFLs won't touch pre bans without proof  in the form of a letter from the manufacturer. Some FFLs won't play with pre bans no matter what.

This is why I suggested Delta Arsenal in Wallingford. They are up on this stuff and will transfer it only if legal.
View Quote
That's not entirely true. CSP-SLFU authorizations sometimes (at least) inquires about the gun being transferred. When I bought a handgun (used S&W revolver) from a shop in Waterbury (that happens to be very into selling prebans- I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it), they were asked to provide details about the gun (make, model, caliber, serial number IIRC) to the operator verbally before the state issued the authorization. The salesman suggested that they (state police) were going to run it through NCIC to confirm that it wasn't stolen. Another dealer that I bought something from shortly before made comments anticipating that he would be asked similar questions when he had to call in and speak to a live person (I typically get TD'ed by automated system).
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's not entirely true. CSP-SLFU authorizations sometimes (at least) inquires about the gun being transferred. When I bought a handgun (used S&W revolver) from a shop in Waterbury (that happens to be very into selling prebans- I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it), they were asked to provide details about the gun (make, model, caliber, serial number IIRC) to the operator verbally before the state issued the authorization. The salesman suggested that they (state police) were going to run it through NCIC to confirm that it wasn't stolen. Another dealer that I bought something from shortly before made comments anticipating that he would be asked similar questions when he had to call in and speak to a live person (I typically get TD'ed by automated system).
View Quote
Makes possible cents as my coworkers preban  came back stolen when they entered the dps tree
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]
From my previous understanding if you have a preban without proof and if the police bring it to question. It’s their responsibility to “prove” that it is preban or post ban if they want to prosecute. If they can prove or disprove it obviously they’re must be some sort of info on preban rifles that they have.
If they can’t prove it then how can one be in trouble without proof.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From my previous understanding if you have a preban without proof and if the police bring it to question. It’s their responsibility to “prove” that it is preban or post ban if they want to prosecute. If they can prove or disprove it obviously they’re must be some sort of info on preban rifles that they have.
View Quote
The same way the laws are upheld in CT despite the Constitution. The courts will do mental gymnastics to make it stick.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
They also use the same information we use
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
If I were to go preban route I would need to be able to get a letter proving it, wether I buy it myself or it’s provided.

I enjoy the “others” due to short barrels
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I were to go preban route I would need to be able to get a letter proving it, wether I buy it myself or it’s provided.

I enjoy the “others” due to short barrels
View Quote
Good luck with that. I think Colt is your only bet and for that you have to pay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh I get it. Fact of the matter is you're paying a huge premium to stay within the letter of our dumb laws, so you want to make damn sure you're paying that premium for good reason. That's why it seems like the guy offering the original sales receipt may be your best bet. It's too bad Armalite no longer has the records because Eagle Arms are good preban lowers. Forged, not cast like PWA or Olympic Arms. Good luck whatever route you go with!
View Quote
I've never seen a cast PWA lower, every one I've ever seen is forged.  Mine fits very nice and tight with the BCM upper that's on it as well.  A few friends also have PWA receivers, and the fit and finish is similar.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Really? I must have read bad info. If that's the case I stand corrected... . Is it possible to get some kind of letter or something for PWA lowers?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Really? I must have read bad info. If that's the case I stand corrected... . Is it possible to get some kind of letter or something for PWA lowers?
View Quote
No, I tried. I guess they used to be able to provide production date letters, but I was told the information was lost when an individual passed away.

That said, I was also able to SBR mine last spring.

I bought the lower in March 2019 in CT, it was a private sale so we just filled out 4 copies and called the state for a transfer number like any other gun. The seller and I followed the instructions exactly as they're written.

Then I went to the State Police in May 2019 and filled out an assault weapon certificate, they rolled my thumb print, embossed it, numbered it and gave it to me.

After that, I just submitted a scan of the certificate as an additional document with the e-file form 1. E-file took less than a month, I think 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Hopefully this info helps you as a serial # data point. I understand they no longer offer this service.

In 2007 I bought a Eagle Arms EA-15 / Coal Valley stripped lower here in the EE advertised as a pre-ban. I called Armalite/Eagle and gave them the 5 digit serial # 150**  -They sent me a signed letter by the President of Armalite stating in was manufactured as a complete rifle on 3/30/94 as a pre-ban 16" M15A2. So theory would suggest any number below this would be good as well.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hopefully this info helps you.

In 2007 I bought a Eagle Arms EA-15 / Coal Valley stripped lower here in the EE advertised as a pre-ban. I called Armalite/Eagle and gave them the 5 digit serial # 150**  -They sent me a signed letter by the President of Armalite stating in was manufactured as a complete rifle on 3/30/94 as a pre-ban 16" M15A2
View Quote
They don't do that anymore. I have tried for the Eagles Arms lowers I have. Each time they say "those records are now with the ATF, sorry"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top