Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2015 4:21:06 PM EDT
Well, I finally killed the clutch on my Ford 1700 tractor, while cleaning up some snow this morning. It doesn't want to go into gear, or come out of it once I get it to engage.   It is a 1982 machine, and has cost me almost nothing in repairs in the 25 years I have owned it, so I believe I got my monies worth out of it anyway.  Its only a couple of hundred bucks on E-Bay for a whole clutch kit (I don't even want to think what New Holland would want for it).  However, I have to break the tractor in half, and slide it apart to replace the clutch/pressure plate/bearing.  Since I don't have a garage, or paved driveway, and very little level area to work, I may have to just wait until Spring to fix it.  Hope it doesn't snow any more!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt we get much more snow, if any at all. Maybe a dusting, but were on the home stretch now.

Sorry to hear about the tractor - post some pics of it if you get the time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt we get much more snow, if any at all. Maybe a dusting, but were on the home stretch now.

Sorry to hear about the tractor - post some pics of it if you get the time.
View Quote

Sure hope your right!  I am lining up someone to plow my horrible driveway, just in case!

Since it is an outdoors project, I wont be addressing it until the weather clears some (so don't expect any pictures anytime soon).  Guess, when the time comes, I will pick out a spot in the driveway, put down some plywood to roll on, crib up the two ends, and use a pallet jack from work to roll the two halves apart.  Luckily I have the service manuals, and have most of the tools to do the job!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I think thats the same tractor the guy down the road has. Maybe you 2 can swap parts!

Why can't you use the bucket to lift the front end?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think thats the same tractor the guy down the road has. Maybe you 2 can swap parts!

Why can't you use the bucket to lift the front end?
View Quote

No thank you, one 33 year old tractor full of worn out parts is enough!

Not sure what you mean by lifting the front end with the bucket.  To change a clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing, you need to physically break the machine in half. The bucket would not be any use in this. And besides, the entire loader frame assembly is the first thing that has to come off!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm really at the end of my rope with this winter.  I have no place to put anymore snow.  You just get to a point where you can't take anymore winter.  All I can think and say to everybody is hang in there the warm weather is coming soon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm really at the end of my rope with this winter.  I have no place to put anymore snow.  You just get to a point where you can't take anymore winter.  All I can think and say to everybody is hang in there the warm weather is coming soon.
View Quote

My wife and I, and my parents also.  
Her parents are already down in FL.  We are all really considering joining them.  Just dont want to make any rash decisions.  We can all agree though....we hate the damn winter.

Something Ive learned.....we kind have it made here for shooting ranges.  Florida sucks when it comes to outdoor ranges, and they are few and far between.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have put that little 25 HP tractor thru hell plowing my POS driveway all these years.  I am surprised it lasted this long!

The wife and I are trying to figure a way to move south, and still maintain a presence up here (for the families).  But this cold and snow has to go, one way or the other.

As far as outdoor ranges go, that is ONE advantage CT has.  With our hilly topography, there are certainly more safe back stops and barriers for noise.  Don't worry though, the spread of Liberals and urban sprawl will end the outdoor ranges sooner or later!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do think these people feel

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do think these people feel

http://dsx.weather.com//util/image/w/deepsnowaroundworld65.jpg?v=at&w=980&h=551&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

I think they would feel like moving south too!  Snow (in moderate amounts) is fine during Christmas to add to the magic of the season.  Other than that, keep it at the Poles (North/South).  I cant even imagine snow that deep.  Do you know where that picture was taken?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: Do you know where that picture was taken?
View Quote

Google image search resulted in:
"Japan’s Honshu Island in what are called the Japanese Alps."
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Do you know where that picture was taken?

Huh.  No shit.  Could have sworn that was a side street off of Franklin Ave in Hartford the other day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally got around to working on the tractor!

First, off comes the loader.

Then, (after removing many wires, bolts, and pipes) break it apart at the bell housing.

Gee, I wonder why the clutch stopped working?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]

ETA:
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Damn OP, thats quite a project.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like what you did there PWA_Commando!

I am guessing the throw out bearing seized, and wore out the fingers on the pressure plate.  

zegermanznew

It's actually not too bad.  Just a bunch of stuff to unbolt!  Probably the worst thing so far is all the grease and oil all over the parts (even after pressure washing, it just doesn't get into the nooks and crannies).  

Now, the real PITA will be lining everything up when I roll it back together!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top