Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2011 8:10:02 PM EDT
I have been looking around online and throwing around the idea of building my own AR, I have the skills and the equipment to finish one of those 80% lowers that are for sale.   My question is it legal to do so in CT and where can i find the law that says i can or cant do this.    I know i will have to build it to current AWB laws, just dont want to get in trouble for having an AR with no numbers or regs on it.   Thanks if you can point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]
CT has no laws saying that you can not build an AR for yourself.

You need to look at the FAQ on the ATF website.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
At the WWW.CTGUNTALK.COM Forum there are some links about what you can and can not do and you could ask the locals on there too for advice or help even.

http://www.ctguntalk.com/testforum/YaBB.pl?num=1209133645

I Need Assault Weapons Education for CT

CT Laws regarding Rifles / AWB Ban Information

"CT's own Firearms Forum. WWW.CTGUNTALK.COM "
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
anyone else with some input, cant seem to find anything yet guess i will go search the ATF website
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
CT has no laws in regards to making your own gun.  You do follow federal laws for making your own gun.

However, you must abide by the CT AWB, so as already said, do not joint an unpinned stock or a threaded barrel to it or have a bayo lug.

I'm pretty sure you just have to mark it with a Serial Number and caliber under federal law, and not get into a habit of selling them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
CT has no laws in regards to making your own gun.  You do follow federal laws for making your own gun.

However, you must abide by the CT AWB, so as already said, do not joint an unpinned stock or a threaded barrel to it or have a bayo lug.

I'm pretty sure you just have to mark it with a Serial Number and caliber under federal law, and not get into a habit of selling them.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm missing out then!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Dan is there anyplace that i can actually find that writen down some place.   I found and read that ATF rules on building your own, and i understand the CT laws on the AWB.    So as long as i stay with in those rules then i shouldnt get in any hot water.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I would love to offer some more useful advice, but if you cant find any information and you are still unsure - give the appropriate people a call.

They'll help you out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#10]
i guess you didnt click the link that i posted.

some people

some additional reading that you probably wont read  either but i am posting anyways since i am bored

i dont see anything there about manufacturing laws in CT but as stated, you have CT AWB to comply with and the BATFE guidelines.

build for you, dont build to sell and follow the AWB and have no worries.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
No i have read that link already and cant find anything about building my own.   I have found the BATFE website and pretty much as long as its semiauto and meets CTs AWB laws i can build it as long as i never sell it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No i have read that link already and cant find anything about building my own.   I have found the BATFE website and pretty much as long as its semiauto and meets CTs AWB laws i can build it as long as i never sell it.

You can sell it, you just can not be in the business of selling AR's that you have built. I can not tell you how many will get you in trouble but if you built 1 and then later decided to sell it you are not in violation of any laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top