Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:40:18 AM EDT
I'd heard that there were still fairly large pockets of outages up North and wondered if that were true and how the heck anyone could have lasted this long with out power.  Just curious!

Rome/Northern CT
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Still about 9000 without power according to WMUR.

http://www.wmur.com/news/18338732/detail.html

I was without power from Thursday the 11th at about 10 a.m. to Sunday night at about 10. The only way we were able to get through it was generator power. I had a big enough one to power the pellet stove, fridge and one room in the house. Gas stations were mobbed every morning with people filling gas cans. The one by me had police directing traffic into the pumps. Reminded me of back in the 80's when you could only get gas on certain days of the week.

I can't imagine still being without power
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
3.5 days on the gen.  Woodstove we heat with 100% anyways.  Shop was up and running, apart from the 3hp tablesaw!  My dad in MA was out for 7 days, or a week, whichever is longer.  HAHA!!  He has a propane backup gen though and worked right straight through it all.  He had two fillups of his tank, I was going to the gas station once a day or so.  It ran me $30 per day to stay powered.  Worth it though.  A hot shower is priceless!!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm on day 12 today, no juice.

Wood stove, gas burners, lots of candles, wine.

Yeah. The wine helps.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It was only 8 days for us.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, double tap.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Incredible, especially Tifosi!  Still out??  One would think that after a couple of these types of storms, all the limbs that were weak would have fallen off.  Every time we have an ice storm anymore, it devestating!  Amazing.

I truly hope you get your power restored!  Chris, you need a bigger generator to power up that Delta!  

Merry Christmas!

Rome
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeh I know!!!  We're going 10kW next time and I might use the 5000wt for my shop alone if it is still alive.  I don't like to not be able to work.  A couple springs ago we had really bad flooding and roads were all washed out and power gone.  My daughter was at daycare and they didn't have power and I couldn't get there because the roads were out or trees across them and the power lines, my wife was trying to get home from Portland but trees were down everywhere and roads washed out, and I was home with the generator running, the woodstove going, all cozy and warm and comfy!!  I felt terrible too as I couldn't get my daughter who was only 3 miles away!!!  NOT a good feeling.  My wife did get to the daycare with my map assistance so I felt better knowing my girl was with mom, and by the time she got there the trees were off the lines, so they could get through the only way that was left and we were all happy and warm here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top