Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:34:04 AM EDT
Well I can only blame myself for not doing the proper research beforehand, but I'm pretty angry. After seeing the AWB lifted, I was so excited that I could finally build my dream AR. Well specifically I didnt care about the Bayonet lug, but I really wanted that tele stock, and most of all I wanted that threaded barrel to put my silencer on. So after about 2 months of reseaching, picking out my stock and silencer, getting some form 4's, and drooling over pics.....I was about ready to order everything....then I saw it. CT chose to keep the f***ing ban in effect.

I've searched around on this site but couldnt find any clear cut answer, so I figured I would just ask it here. I know I cannot buy a preban lower, and build onto it and have a legal preban in CT...so instead IF I can find one, could I just buy a complete preban rifle (being built before 94) (which I believe I can still legally do), then replace the various parts with my own that I want (new M4 style barrel, silencer, new internals)?

Im hoping that is the way around my problem, if there is a way at all. It really stumps me that CT allows silencers to be owned, but you cant have the effing threaded barrel to accept it on your rifle. But wait pistols, which are way more concielable and likely for illegal use, can have threaded barrels with silencers no problem? Ridiculous!

If I can do this....does anyone think I will even be able to find a brand new old preban rifle?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Do more research. Call Newington Gun exchange and they could fill you in a little more. You can build a pre ban but make sure it left the factory as a finished rifle. I dont know everything about this so search away bro.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a preban, have it shipped to your FFL (*cough* Newington Gun Exchange) and build it how you like it.

When you find a preban for sale (online), start researching.

It's a Bushmaster?  Better check the serial number list and make sure it is below the cutoff.

Olympic Arms?  Woo, those are tricky.  They can confirm when the lower was made but rarely as a complete rifle.  I don't worry about the complete rifle part of this based on CT law wording, but whatever.

Colt?  Can't buy it... skip it.

You basically cant go wrong with a preban Bushmaster.  With the serial number below the cutoff, no one can really ask questions.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
So CT isnt really that stiff about it having to be a COMPLETE rifle before 94' then? Not that I would want to do things illegally....But im sure it would be ALOT easier and cheaper to find a preban lower then a complete......

Sh*t...I guess that means Im not getting that brand new stainless DPMS lower hat
Thanks for the replies! Im going to give NGE a call this week and see what they can come up with.

Thanks for the replies!

Edit: I just searched around...and the ONLY thing I found, was a Bushmaster XM15E 2S complete lower.

One is listed as 90% condition with only minor surface wear, and is $825.
The other is listed as 95-97%...and is $915....

Both say they come with proof they were assembled before 9/94

These prices are 200-300 more than a brand new complete post ban upper...is this WAY higher price the norm for this configuration?..if its a good deal Im just going to get the second one for $915 since I cant seem to find any anywhere else
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So CT isnt really that stiff about it having to be a COMPLETE rifle before 94' then? Not that I would want to do things illegally....But im sure it would be ALOT easier and cheaper to find a preban lower then a complete......

Sh*t...I guess that means Im not getting that brand new stainless DPMS lower , acually I guess that means I'm not getting any DPMS lower..I dont think there would be any left from <94' I well that was my first choice..I guess ill be looking for a bushmaster now!

Thanks for the replies! Im going to give NGE a call this week and see what they can come up with.

Thanks for the replies!

Edit: I just searched around...and the ONLY thing I found, was a Bushmaster XM15E 2S complete lower.

One is listed as 90% condition with only minor surface wear, and is $825.
The other is listed as 95-97%...and is $915....

Both say they come with proof they were assembled before 9/94

These prices are 200-300 more than a brand new complete post ban upper...is this WAY higher price the norm for this configuration?..if its a good deal Im just going to get the second one for $915 since I cant seem to find any anywhere else

You can get a pre 94 DPMS lower. With these lowers you will see a lot of cast preban lowers for sale. You will also see Eagle, Essential, Palmetto, Bushy, Oly, PWA and some others out there.

Are those prices you listed for a complete rifle or just for the lower??????????????????

I paid 350 for a preban bushy lower in mint condition. THe only thing it was missing was the stock. Those prices are rediculous for a lower only. Keep looking around on the AR15.com EE. You will definitely find deals out there but you got to be quick.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
That is way too much for just a lower.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW the "Left the factory as a complete rifle" line stems from the ATF's position on the Federal Ban.  

As I've said before, the language in our State Ban is very different.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the quick responses guys.....this is one of the better gun forums online.....I posted a WTB ad in the EE....guess its just a waiting game now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top