Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 5:51:53 PM EDT
My situation....My grandmother lives in CT, and I've been thinking for a while that it'd be cool to take my garand up there so she can see the rifle. My grandfather fought in the Pacific in WWII and passed away a few years ago, so I think she'd appreciate it to see what rifle he used while he was there.

My question.....I've been reading around and it seems like it would be ok to bring the rifle up there if it was its case.  Am I right, or is there something else I should be aware of?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no problem transporting your rifle in the state of CT as long as it's unloaded, enclosed in a gun case, and stored in the trunk. I think you're also fine traveling from VA to CT, carrying it in the same manner.

"In most states, personally-owned firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk. As an additional precaution, firearms may be disassembled and separated from ammunition."

To be safe, I'd check the laws in each state you're traveling through.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
FST96ss is correct.  The Garand is no problem here.  Traveling from VA to CT, however, will take you through two terrible states, NJ and NY.  

My suggestion is that you check with "www.packing.org" and see if those states will allow "peaceable journey" through their states without any further arrangments or conditions.  I can tell you that I believe that NJ is not a very friendly state and there are most probably restrictions.  

Rome

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
actually, if you do make the trip, get on I-81 and follow it up to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in PA, where you pick up I-84... then you avoid NJ altogether and will only be in NY for ~70 miles. Transporting a cased/unloaded rifle in the trunk is no big deal, but I wouldn't stop in NY with guns if you paid me.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, Mr Duarte - I agree 100%.

The trip on 81 is much nicer.  The times I have had to go back and forth to VA, I love 81.  The mileage is a slightly longer, but the time evens out and I avoid NJ.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, good idea to skip NJ if you can.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Transporting through NY is no problem for long arms, but can be problematic for pistols because you need a permit to even own a handgun. For the rifle, make sure it's unloaded and locked in a case, with the ammunition in a seperate locked case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top