Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2005 4:24:54 PM EDT
Hello from Alabama,  I am coming up to Maine for my honeymoon in Aug. and was wondering if any of you guys were from the area and could reccomend some good places to go eat in the Portland and Greenville areas.  I like to find places that more locals go to and avoid the tourist traps.  Also, what are your handgun laws for carry and transport.  Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll work on the Portland area;

Portland:
** Fore Street.  Currently my favorite place to eat in Portland.  I wish I could go there more often, we go there mostly for specail occasions & when we have guests.  Here's a link to a review I just found while looking for the address.  www.foodinportland.com/forestreet.html

Some other good places;
- Pat's Meat Mart (on Stephens Ave, in a more residential area, also has a market and deli downstairs) 484 Stevens Ave, Portland, ME 04103 (207) 772-3961 (Not to be confused with Pat's Pizza a local chain!)
- Street & Co.
- The Armory
- Dogfish Cafe (Ihaven't eaten there, but it's been getting allot of attention)

I don't get into Portland for lunch as much anymore, but a few places that come to mind;
- 3 Dollar Dewey's (lots of good beers as well)
- Gritty McDuffs (Brew pub)
- Jay's Oyster Bar (more local)
- Boone's
*- Norm's BBQ - on Middle St.  They also have a bar on Congress but I prefer the Middle St. location.  I don't know how I originally forgot them.

Cape Elizabeth:
- The Lobster Shack (lobster rolls etc. Near Two Lights State Park, right on the coast, great views but it can get crowded on weekends)

Westbrook:
- Chicky's ( a relatively new place with good food and music Thurs. through Sat. nights)

A good dive bar in Portland: Geno's on Congress St.  Sometimes really good music & sometimes realy bad garage bands.  It's hit or miss, but can be fun sometimes.

If I think of anything else I'll add them later.

ETA
Carry info:
General summary:
Concealed carry with permit only. (should be able to obtain non-resident permit if you hold a CCW for your state)
long guns must be unloaded when transporting in vehicle.
Prior to getting my CCW I always cased and locked all firearms while transporting since I have a small SUV.

This is a link I got through packing.org.
www.lcav.org/states/maine.asp
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
When I'm in Portland, I like to go to The Village Cafe on India St. Good Italian food and not too $$. Skip DeMillo's Floating Restaurant on the waterfront (lousy food and touristy). In Greenville, The Boomchain has good breakfast and lunches. For supper, go accross the street to the restaurant with the deck. I can't remember the name (the flycaster, fisherman, dip-net, something like that), but the food was good. Actually, directly accross from the Boomchain is a small restaurant with decent food as well. If you go up to Kokadjo, you have to have a bite to eat up there (only place in town; population 8). If Fred or Marie tell you "coming through; get the hell out of the way", don't take it personal.
In Maine, if you wanted to carry concealed, you would need a non-resident carry permit (probably too late to get that). No permits needed otherwise.
Check out Lew's Guns in Corinna on your way up to G-ville. It's after you get off 95 and is on the left side. He's not exactly Mr. Congeniality, but he has a lot of firearms.
Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I work in Portland and I second all of the recomendations. In greenville for a special romantic dinner there is a sporting camp run by a Maine guide in Kokajo. I cant remember the name now but anyone in that area should be able to help you. The place is run by a husband wife team so you have to call ahead for reservations. They only seat about 10 people, and the two times I have been we have been the only couple. We usually start with drinks in front of the fireplace while they prepare the meal. Limited menu and alcohol choices but the food is excellent. I recomend the duck. The drive up is nice and I have always seen moose around dusk. The drive back to Greenville can be downright dangerous after dark with all the moose in the road.  If you feel like a drive, over in Jackman is a diner called Moma's or Momabears. real home cooking and good prices. It's also on the way to Quebec city if you choose that ride.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot the most important thing;

Congratulations!

CD
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Skip DeMillo's Floating Restaurant on the waterfront (lousy food and touristy).

+1 on skipping DeMillo's.  The only reason I'll go to DeMillo's is if we're having a couple of drinks on the outside deck.  I've eaten there a couple of times over the years and never been impressed with the food.

If you don't mind a 30 - 40 minute drive from Portland there are two other places that I can recommend that are very nice.

-Cape Arundel Inn in Kennebunkport, very close to Walker Point, the Bush compound.  Pricey, but excellent food and a great view of the Ocean.  Also I nice deck out front to enjoy a drink before or after dinner.www.capearundelinn.com/

-Pier 77 in Cape Porpoise.  A little more reasonable than the previous.  Also has great food and beautiful views of the Ocean, some islands and a lighthouse.  (Right next to a working pier, I like to see working waterfronts remain working waterfronts)  This is where my wife & I got married last year.www.pier77restaurant.com/

CD

I'll see if my wife has any other recommendations tonight.

ETA a few suggestions from my wife.

There are several Ferries that run from Portland to the neighboring Islands.  Nice way to see some of the islands as well.
Peaks Island is close with a few small places to eat.
Chebeague Island is closer to Yarmouth, but has a very nice inn with a restaraunt. (they sugest or may require reservations)

In the Yarmouth/Freeport area on Rte 1;
Days crabmeat - good lobster rolls
Conundrum - Good wine, martinis, and light food.  For directions just ask how to get to the BFI(Big F4$%ing Indian), a large roadside statue.

I hope you have a great trip!  Let us know if you need anything other info.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses. I knew If you guys were like the ARFCOMMERS down here you would be helpfull.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Added my wifes suggestions to my previous post.

CD
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:35:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There are several Ferries that run from Portland to the neighboring Islands.  Nice way to see some of the islands as well.

Mail boat is good because it stops at many islands.  I think I saw people with picnic lunches the day we were on it, but I'd check first.

Graziano's Casa Mia in Lisbon between Lewiston and Brunswick on Rte. 196 is good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I think dvdick is referring to The Birches Resort in Rockwood (google it).  Also, The Greenville Inn is good, but less rustic.  I'd suggest reservations for either given the time of year.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I checked with the wife. The resort in Greenville is the Wilderness Lodge. Great people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Another excellent place to eat in the greenville area is "The Pittston Farm" You need to go into Rockwood--go over the small moos river bridge and follow a dirt road for 15 miles or so--at the end is a huge farm set up for loggers---buffet style food and incredibly good ---also a really neat atmosphere--i learned how to drive on that dirt road---wide open--just be careful of moose they coume out to lick the calcium off the road that is laid down to keep the dust light.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Boone's chowder in a bread bowl for sure - cheap and delicious!!

Fore Street is HIGHLY recommended by me and my wife also!!!!  We dropped about $100 last time we went for the two of us, but it was worth EVERY penny and more!!!

Over and out...  and congrats too!

Chris @ www.wildcherrywoodworks.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top