Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 6:13:35 AM EDT
Are pre-bans(1994) still going to be sold to us less fortuante Mass. residents at outrageous prices? I'm curious what will be the norm after the federal ban expires in Sept.  As you may or may not know, Mass.  recently permanently extended the state's AWB. The way the law reads I believe we will still have acess to weapons that are pre-1994.  Those pre-1994 weapons should have no special value to owners from other states after Sept.  Any thoughts?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
i have already gave, and at a huge loss
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Can we do out of state personal/dealer transactions or do they have to go through a FFL in MA.  

ex.  Could I drive up to NH, ME and get a pre-ban and just fill out the FA-10 when I get back?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can we do out of state personal/dealer transactions or do they have to go through a FFL in MA.  

ex.  Could I drive up to NH, ME and get a pre-ban and just fill out the FA-10 when I get back?

Fed law prohibits ALL inter-state firearms purchases (even face-to-face),  unless one party holds an FFL (that was part of GCA 1968). You can buy a long gun from an FFL in any of the 50 states and bring it back/ship it back to MA, do the FA-10 as a "registration" and you are good-to-go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Only a long gun or pistols too?  My intention is to got to NH or ME and get a pistol there as its much cheaper up north but it will be from a dealer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Only a long gun or pistols too?  My intention is to got to NH or ME and get a pistol there as its much cheaper up north but it will be from a dealer.

You can't buy handguns anywhere EXCEPT the state you live in! That was also part of GCA-1968. [Only exception is if you hold a C&R FFL and buy a C&R handgun, or sales of antiques (non-guns by law).]

Besides MA FFLs can only sell the handful of models that are on the EOPS "approved List" + meet the MA AG's double-secret unpublished list of handguns that meet his personal approval. SO the old days of transferring from a NH source to a MA FFL are long gone.

I was at the Concord, NH gun show last weekend and could only drool over a number of handguns for sale there . . . none of which are legal to sell in MA. Prices were also a great deal cheaper than here due to all these hassles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Well thats just crap-tastic.  I just luv how everyday I learn something new about why it sucks donkey balls to live here.

Is the list on the MA.gov site not the complete official list of approved pistols?

I can still have a pistol transferred to a MA FFL, can I not?

What city are you in LenS?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:42:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Buying across state lines is Fed law, not state law.

Approved handguns by EOPS is found here (PDF file)
www.mass.gov/eops/publications/approved_roster.pdf

More info can be found here:
www.mass.gov/chsb/frb/frb.html

If you belonged to GOAL, you would have known about all this BS with the AG.
www.goal.org

The AG refuses to publish anything except info on his prosecutions, as his goal is to ban all gun and ammo sales in MA or INTO MA from elsewhere.

NO, dealers are forbidden from transferring any handguns that aren't on the list I noted above, unless they are exempt (in state prior to 10/21/98).

I'm in Dedham area.

Gotta run, working GOAL table at Braintree R&P gun show www.brp.org

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Isan't he legaly bound to publish the laws the state?  If he doesn't publish a list of approved firearms then how can a dealer sell anything?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Isan't he legaly bound to publish the laws the state?  If he doesn't publish a list of approved firearms then how can a dealer sell anything?

These aren't "laws" in the usual sense, they are "regulations". Laws undergo numerous reviews and sign-off by the governor/president. Regulations are created "in a vacuum" by bureaucrats, with NO oversight and no real "sign-off". The AG writes the Regs and Approves them, and then enforces them (judge, jury and executioner). Regs get published in an obscure government journal, allow a minimal waiting period and then they can ignore all the comments and invoke them anyway.

It works this way on both Federal and State levels.

Thus, NOTHING compels the AG to publish an approved list at all, and he chooses not to do so. He's even refused to work with the Gun Control Advisory Board so that both bodies could come to a usable set of rules/regulations. Nothing that anyone can do about this loose cannon other than elect a better person next time (not likely).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok i have a question. The fedreal ban sunsets and our ban was put in place in 98 so wouldent our pre-bans now be pre 98?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok i have a question. The fedreal ban sunsets and our ban was put in place in 98 so wouldent our pre-bans now be pre 98?

No, it is whatever our law says that it is! In our case it is identical to the Fed ban of 1994. Remember the "golden rule", he who has the gold (the government), rules (makes up whatever rules they want)!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
NO, dealers are forbidden from transferring any handguns that aren't on the list I noted above, unless they are exempt (in state prior to 10/21/98).

...that is complete operable handguns.  If someone were to get the frame only from a dealer, then it would be legal in MA....

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...that is complete operable handguns.  If someone were to get the frame only from a dealer, then it would be legal in MA....

mark
[email protected]

You are absolutely correct, however most MA FFLs are afraid of the AG & State and will NOT do this. I've even bought two air pistols that the FFLs insisted on doing a 4473 & MA FA-10 on! That's the kind of paranoia that would make a KGB agent proud! [And if the AG found out who those two were, I can almost guarantee that there would be NONE after that.]

Personally I'm only aware of two FFLs in MA who will order and sell frames without doing a MA FA-10 (specifically NOT required by law - and thus those that do the FA-10 will NOT order/transfer any frame where the gun is not on the EOPS List).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top