Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2004 6:39:33 PM EDT
If the federal Assault Weapons Ban expires, would CT version dissolve?
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so, its a separate state ban.

Lol, You really dont need a tommy gun, you could go 30's gangster style on somebody. They are the criminal weapon of choice in CT.

Stupid Ct assault weapon ban.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I just thought that the CT state law relied on the federal definitions of the prohibited weapons which were explicitly tied to the federal definitions, so if the federal law expired, the state ban also would dissolve.
I guess that if the AWB expires, prices on pre-bans should go down even if CT law exists.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Preban prices definately will go down so that is a big plus!

Also I don't think CT law says anything about high-caps, so they should be fair game, ie you could buy a brand new Glock with high-caps.

Join: www.ctsportsmen.com  and maybe we can "get" the law to go away with enough effort!

If you really want a Tommy Gun, just save up and buy a full-auto one, they're "safer" than the semi's anyway... at least in CT's eyes

Link Posted: 7/21/2004 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
State version has its own defs.  Rag is correct though in that it doesn't include Hicap mags.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
@RealFastV6:
Sure it does, just look down the CT Assault Weapons List:

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89 Pistol
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Well Roland's out, let's see if we can repeal this POS law

Link Posted: 7/21/2004 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
@RealFastV6:
Sure it does, just look down the CT Assault Weapons List:

I should have clearified.  You're right, the list does include pistols.  I was refering to the "feature ban" though.  We have a rifle "feature ban" that is identical to the Federal.  However, I was incorrect anyways in saying we don't have a pistol feature ban because I just checked and we do as well as a shotgun feature ban.  I need to brush up on this bullshit I suppose now that the federal ban is going away.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, interesting note for some of you...

BarrettM82A1 is on the list.  However there are a few Barretts model "M82A1-NG" floating around.  They're almost exactly the same, and because the name is different it's able to be sold in CT.  There was one for sale at NGX a few months ago, probably still there, but they wanted a pretty penny.  I've seen them online for 7k.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]

If you really want a Tommy Gun, just save up and buy a full-auto one, they're "safer" than the semi's anyway... at least in CT's eyes

I can hear that conversation now... " but honey, I can ONLY buy a full auto tommy gun"
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw that Barrett at Newington, they wanted ~$10,000 for it, what does the "NG" stand for?

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I saw that Barrett at Newington, they wanted ~$10,000 for it, what does the "NG" stand for?

Dunno, it's the military model though.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
This CT AWB is driving me up the wall. It is defining ( according to the NRA-ILA website ) an assault weapon as an assault weapon - a selective fire thingy that goes bang. Nowhere does it mention that you can't take a reciever from a company/gun not on the list and build it up ( in the case of the AR, at least ). Yet somehow I get the feeling this is illegal anyways.

I mean, put it this way. Post and pre ban weapons are allowed to be owned new, except for the ones on the list. After the AWB, everything is under no ban except for those named guns ( according to that damn NRA-ILA website ). What is preventing us ( legally ) from building a new AW post federal AWB as long as we don't use recievers/guns under that list? NOWHERE does it define the state AWB in the same way as the federal version.

Anyone can go to the website and check this. I may be preaching to the choir, but I am trying as hard as ever to get around the law that makes my life difficult and makes me a criminal for enjoying a safe hobby.

At least we can get new manufacture magazines and own prebans at all. What a shitty state.

And what is the process to have a state level piece of legislation removed? What are our chances?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This CT AWB is driving me up the wall. It is defining ( according to the NRA-ILA website ) an assault weapon as an assault weapon - a selective fire thingy that goes bang. Nowhere does it mention that you can't take a reciever from a company/gun not on the list and build it up ( in the case of the AR, at least ). Yet somehow I get the feeling this is illegal anyways.

I mean, put it this way. Post and pre ban weapons are allowed to be owned new, except for the ones on the list. After the AWB, everything is under no ban except for those named guns ( according to that damn NRA-ILA website ). What is preventing us ( legally ) from building a new AW post federal AWB as long as we don't use recievers/guns under that list? NOWHERE does it define the state AWB in the same way as the federal version.

Anyone can go to the website and check this. I may be preaching to the choir, but I am trying as hard as ever to get around the law that makes my life difficult and makes me a criminal for enjoying a safe hobby.

At least we can get new manufacture magazines and own prebans at all. What a shitty state.

And what is the process to have a state level piece of legislation removed? What are our chances?

Both the State Police website and the NRA-ILA website make no mention of the "Feature" ban, however it's in the statues.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Bullshit.

That was probably arrainged just to trip some of us up and to seize more rifles. The scumsucking-motherfucking turds.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, the CT law is sad and stupid.  Apparently, noone even goes near repealing it either for fear that bringing it up will create a voice for more restrictions!  Especially with all of the libs moving in state.  it's amazing to me that the liberals through their ill-founded restrictions make the place they're living unlivable and then move somewhere else only to impose the same ill-founded restrictions creating the same sort of environment.  Some liberal Californians are trying this in places like Nevada as well.  CT doesn't need any stinking restrictions on firearms where Law-Abiding Citizens are concerned.  Neither does NYC (where lots of the liberals move here from) for that matter (Where Law Abiding Citizens Are Concerned...)

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Thw laws in our wonderful State of CT suck! CT has become more restictive to gun ownership in general. I for one am out of here in a few years and headed South! I'll leave CT to the scum sucking politians and the Yuppies!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm getting worried here.... I read the two sites listed above several times before I purchased a pre-ban PWA complete lower.

BUT, if I throw on a lug and tele stock, does it need to be registered?  And since registration is over, it cant be, and I'm committing a felony???

SOMEONE tell me I'm wrong and can put anything I want on my non-Colt pre-ban lower.  That fucking CT State Police site didnt have a feature ban goddamnit....   I don't have this kind of monet to just toss around... I just bought a pre-ban for christ sakes.

- BUCC_Guy

EDIT;    I do live in CT.... ignore my PA listing.... school
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm getting worried here.... I read the two sites listed above several times before I purchased a pre-ban PWA complete lower.

BUT, if I throw on a lug and tele stock, does it need to be registered?  And since registration is over, it cant be, and I'm committing a felony???

SOMEONE tell me I'm wrong and can put anything I want on my non-Colt pre-ban lower.  That fucking CT State Police site didnt have a feature ban goddamnit....   I don't have this kind of monet to just toss around... I just bought a pre-ban for christ sakes.

You're fine as long as you've got a Preban and it's Non-Colt.  There's a part futher down in the statute that basically says anything Pre94 is exempt from Registation requirements and Transfer restrictions but is still an Assault Weapon.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're fine as long as you've got a Preban and it's Non-Colt.  There's a part futher down in the statute that basically says anything Pre94 is exempt from Registation requirements and Transfer restrictions but is still an Assault Weapon.

Thank you.... I was so sure that was the case and this issue had me sweating bullets all morning...

do you happen to have a link to the full statute?  I can't find this clause.

- BUCC_Guy

PS.   I live just south of Middletown
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.
(P.A. 01-130, S. 3.)

www.cga.state.ct.us/2003/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202m.htm
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#21]
(PS.  I have a PWA Preban and it was transfered intact with all evil features, no problems)
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
(PS.  I have a PWA Preban and it was transfered intact with all evil features, no problems)

Wooo.... God bless you.

- BUCC_Guy

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#23]
After attending a CTSportsmen meeting, I think that we wait for about a year after the federal ban sunsets before proposing to repeal the state law.  After that, there should be ample evidence that the world has not come to an end & mass killings haven't become the norm.  Still, with dems having the majority in the state house & senate, it will be an uphill battle...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
After attending a CTSportsmen meeting, I think that we wait for about a year after the federal ban sunsets before proposing to repeal the state law.  After that, there should be ample evidence that the world has not come to an end & mass killings haven't become the norm.  Still, with dems having the majority in the state house & senate, it will be an uphill battle...

Agreed.

Maybe a good start would be to find out who in the legislature was anti-awb back in 93 when the initial state ban was passed, and also the people who voted against the additional feature ban in ('00?).  After that, it would make sense to try to get time with the legislators that weren't in congress at the time.  Only after we know there's a backing should we think about bringing it up for any kind of public debate.

Maybe this fall will bring some more Repubs into the Legislature.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#25]
We should really work on getting this repealed... though it may be hard when Walmart in New Haven can't even sell a .22 rifle

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm confused
So after Monday can we buy 30 rd mags legally in CT?
Or do we still have to use these ten rd mags?
pardon my stupidity....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#27]
you can already buy 30 round mags legally in CT, just not new ones..once the Federal ban goes away, used mag prices should drop, and manufacturers can now sell brand spankin new high capacity mags to everyone in states without magazine restrictions.  CT does not have a magazine restriction clause in their state AWB, so it doesn't affect you, so go buy some today!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I hope we can get this ban lifted. It's a shame that a product that is built in CT can't be sold here if it's labelled AR-15. I was hoping to put  flash hiders on both my Colt Match Targets but I guess that won't happen now. I picked up my new M1A a week ago at least that has a flash hider. CT used to have some decent gun laws but now all I can think about is how soon I can move down South!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn good news thanks CT_AR.
I will go buy some.
The only thing that sucks is, I also wanted my barrel threaded and flash hider installed.
I just don't want it permanantly attached.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I hope we can get this ban lifted. It's a shame that a product that is built in CT can't be sold here if it's labelled AR-15. I was hoping to put  flash hiders on both my Colt Match Targets but I guess that won't happen now. I picked up my new M1A a week ago at least that has a flash hider. CT used to have some decent gun laws but now all I can think about is how soon I can move down South!

Seriously, the irony kills me.

We're the #2 state for the most machine guns.
We're the home of COLT.
We're SBR, Full Auto Legal.
We have pretty decent pistol laws.

And yet we have this STUPID Assault Weapons law.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#31]

After that, there should be ample evidence that the world has not come to an end & mass killings haven't become the norm.

That's the way things were 10 years ago when this BS law was passed to begin with. The Legislature could care less what the facts are....they deal in FEEEEELINGS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Time to put our feelings into correspondence and phone calls to our elected reps and senators, and if that does no good, into votes for candidates who will listen.

The people who go to Hartford and pass these stupid laws must hear from us.

The Libtards have no problem speaking up.

Rest assured that if Kerry loses and the Dems in Washington have no success getting the Federal ban reinstated, they will start a crusade to get the bans in place in every state that doesn't have them, and made even worse in the states that already do have them.

BTW, I believe Dodd is up for re-election.
His Communist attitude needs to be expunged from the Senate, and the only way to do that is to remove his butt from Washington. Lieberman is sure to get the message if that happens. (Easiest way to get someone's attention is to do away with the man next to him)

Get involved, get informed, talk it up among friends and relatives, and vote.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Damn good news thanks CT_AR.
I will go buy some.
The only thing that sucks is, I also wanted my barrel threaded and flash hider installed.
I just don't want it permanantly attached.

all you need to do for that is wait around for a pre-94 reciever that's gonna be nothing more than a used lower in the next few weeks, then thread away!!!!  that's what I'm planning to do, oh and it can't be a Colt.
CT
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#34]

You're fine as long as you've got a Preban and it's Non-Colt. There's a part futher down in the statute that basically says anything Pre94 is exempt from Registation requirements and Transfer restrictions but is still an Assault Weapon.

Thought CT statutes prohibit assembling an assault weapon? Unless it was already configured that way, you can't build a "preban" weapon. What would prevent people from buying preban lowers and uppers and make an assault weapon to circumvent the current AWB?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#35]
My lower is stamped "M4 Match Target". So does that mean I can put a flash suppressor and collapsable stock on it"
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My lower is stamped "M4 Match Target". So does that mean I can put a flash suppressor and collapsable stock on it"

Not unless it was made before Sept 13th 1994.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top