Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2009 4:00:30 PM EDT
My 223 bolt is really accurate no matter what ammo I put in it. The upper far left, bottom left, and bottom middle were shot with the Savage bolt.
The upper middle and two far right were shot with my Encore 22-250.
I think the rifles will shoot better if I improve.
The 22 centerfires are much easier to tolerate than the 30 calibers.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking groups. The main thing Dan is that you actually made it to the range. Even if all you are able to shoot for now is .22 Long Rifle stuff, you can still practice your marksmanship and the fundamentals.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I screwed up on my notes. Those were Vmax bullets from Hornady. I still have some Nosler BTs to get set in both rifles.
Dammit. I'll have to make another trip to the range now.
The 223 and the 22-250 ain't brutal on my old tired ass. Cole was out there when I shot my M1A and I couldn't take but one mag.
I used to think if wasn't 30 cal, it wasn't worth having.
I sure changed my mind.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
yea back in 98 when I blew out my shoulder,I could barely tolerate 223,but all that smallbore shooting really helped later in life...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Dan, I really like that left hand savage 223!! I might get me one of those.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dan, I really like that left hand savage 223!! I might get me one of those.

I almost picked up a Savage 243 cheap just like it. The guy down from me was complaining he couldn't get it to group.
The thing was lose in the stock.....
We tightened it up and he pulled in a nice 3 shot group, well under an inch.
I should have bought a Left hand Savage 10 Tactical before they got high.
But this one I have will do OK. My son Matt has killed a bunch of coyotes with it in north central and western OK.
I'll say one thing, D - you shot that rifle a whole lot better than I did.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
yea back in 98 when I blew out my shoulder,I could barely tolerate 223,but all that smallbore shooting really helped later in life...

It ain't so much my shoulder as it is the splitting of my sternum last December. They pinned my already bad shoulders back and they have been giving me fits since.
The 223 or 22-250 are actually pleasant to shoot.
But shooting that M1A last week put a flinch in me. I still hurt in the chest when I cough so I shouldn't have shot the M1A. I was told to wait almost a year before shooting any large centerfire rifles.
I caught myself jerking the trigger  a few times. But I still try to practice the "watch the bullet hit" thing and it helps over come it some.
It's just gonna take range time to get me where I need to be.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Not too bad shooting for a half blind old geezer
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not too bad shooting for a half blind old geezer

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
350 yards (paced off) with an AR-15, 30+ mph winds.

http://www.wingman26.com/images/shooting/Hunting/pdog5%202009small%20clean.jpg
edited out the blood and guts

hell yeah wingman, three with one shot

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
350 yards (paced off) with an AR-15, 30+ mph winds.

http://www.wingman26.com/images/shooting/Hunting/pdog5%202009small%20clean.jpg
edited out the blood and guts

hell yeah wingman, three with one shot

Best money you can spend for gear besides the rifle and scope is this:

ETA Nice shooting!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It ain't so much my shoulder as it is the splitting of my sternum last December. They pinned my already bad shoulders back and they have been giving me fits since.
The 223 or 22-250 are actually pleasant to shoot.
But shooting that M1A last week put a flinch in me. I still hurt in the chest when I cough so I shouldn't have shot the M1A. I was told to wait almost a year before shooting any large centerfire rifles.
I caught myself jerking the trigger  a few times. But I still try to practice the "watch the bullet hit" thing and it helps over come it some.
It's just gonna take range time to get me where I need to be.

a couple of years back I developed a flinch and a back twitch problem in the prone, from a remmy in 300win,got rid of it,to fund a 338project that never got off the ground,ya gotta take it slow with one of those chest suitures,one old buddy of mine didn`t take it easy and it put him back to the point now last I heard he still can`t draw his bow or even shoot, PLEASE take it easier than you normaly would,and keep close track of it healing...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#13]
WOW
Now stretch it out to 500 yards and report back.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WOW

I've done quite a bit of that but I'm not going to do that with my 30 cals until I heal up.
I hunt in some wheat fields that are 1/2 mile wide or deep. Believe me, I can shoot 500 or 600 yds to kill a deer or coyote.
I do better at 300 to 500 yds on large game than I ever did at shorter distances.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WOW

Lets see your targets & groups.  

Nice shooting danc46.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW

Lets see your targets & groups.  

Nice shooting danc46.

Back in the days when I could bench 400 lbs, run two miles in 12 minutes, I could stand on the line and hit the ram at 500 meters with iron sights almost every time I pulled the trigger on my 1903 Remington.
Now, 35 years later, all I can do is remember those days. I'm not near the shot now I was then. Not even as good as I was 5 years ago.
His gonna have the same problem as he gets older.
It's the natural order of things.
I know when I was at my best, I was the best.
Now, all I can do is hope to recapture a portion of my accuracy from back then.
Right now, any deer or coyote that stands still within 500 yds is dead if I have my old Rem 700 30/06 (on it's third barrel and fourth stock) and I'm in my truck.  
I'm still the best under those conditions.
Practice makes perfect.
That big buck I checked in, I have no idea what those tire marks across his neck came from.
I know I dropped him when I hit him in the back of the head at 499 yds.
And that wasn't powder burns where the bullet hit. It was just dirt.  
So even at his very best, Shadow still can't compete with me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Here are a few pics of what gas guns are capable of.

Rifle:
Ar-10 20" Rock 5R barrel
Distance: 650 yards (Red Castle)
Wind: full value 7-9mph
Bullet: 155gr Lapua Scenar
6 shots with cold bore (far left)

Ar-10 is rifle on bottom
Mk11 top

Rifle:
SR-25 MK11 20" Oby barrel w/ can
Distance: 633 yards 4 shots (rapid fire)
Wind: 1/4 value 3-4mph
Bullet :178gr A-Max
Shot by Saryan25

This pic was taken at our range in Alva Ok. We confirm zero's out to 970 yards and this hostage target was set at 575 yards. This was our first shot at the target below.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]
....and very modest I might add.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
....and very modest I might add.  

Hey, that ain't bad shooting. I don't have but 600 yards to shoot paper or 550 meters for steel. I'd like to shoot 800 to 1000 yds but not right now. Maybe in a few months when I heal up good.
I guess I'll have to go to Whitington to do that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
OMG shadow I would give both of my nuts for one of those rifles
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top