Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:36:39 AM EDT
I'm looking for someone quailified and willing to shorten a side by side double barrel 12ga for me.  I need someone to shorten, re-solder, touch-up blue and add the bead sight back.  I'm making a short barrel shotgun and will be using a Stoeger Coachgun as the host.  It's all on the up and up and I have the Form 1 in hand with stamp, so please no 'you can't/shouldn't do that' replies.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Steve Baldwin in Jones, OK
His website is Mechanical Accuracy, Inc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you do the cowboy 3 gun shoots?????  That seems like one of the guns they use.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Red Dirt Armory in mustang might be one place to check also. I have talked to them about an item of interest and found them to be cheaper than anyone around and very helpful. Also seen a custom 10” 3 round pump shotgun conversion that was classified as other because the gun came with a pistol grip and didn’t require the $ 200 tax stamp to be converted.  It was a very nice custom job that they did. Charles Case @ (863-4598) I have heard nothing but good things about Steve Baldwin and he does come highly recommended around my area. Just in case he can’t do it than above is another option. Good luck  
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried Steve Baldwin, he thinks I'm doing something illegal.  Tried to explain it to him and he essentially said have fun in prison.  I mean I really tried to help him understand, with links to the ATF website, the Armory here, etc.  He didn't want to hear it.  I'll try Red Dirt.  Any others?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I tried Steve Baldwin, he thinks I'm doing something illegal.  Tried to explain it to him and he essentially said have fun in prison.  I mean I really tried to help him understand, with links to the ATF website, the Armory here, etc.  He didn't want to hear it.  I'll try Red Dirt.  Any others?

Do you have to have an SOT stamp to cut that barrel down?
The $5 stamp vs the $200 stamp?
I've known Steve long enough to say that he knows what he's doing, both with firearms and the law.
Get a letter from the local BATF stating you can do what you want to do, take it to him, and I'm sure he'd do it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have to have an SOT stamp to cut that barrel down?
The $5 stamp vs the $200 stamp?
I've known Steve long enough to say that he knows what he's doing, both with firearms and the law.
Get a letter from the local BATF stating you can do what you want to do, take it to him, and I'm sure he'd do it.

No SOT stamp, don't need one.  I have a Form 1 with the stamp.  I heard Steve did good work, but he also said "The last person I know that cut one too short, was at Ruby Ridge"  I found that kinda attitude a big turn off.  

Chris at H&H was more than willing to do it for me (he clearly has a good understanding of the law), but I was told it would be a month.  Since they've had my Kahr in for repair for 3 months now (don't ask), I'm a little skeptical of that estimate.  Plus I'd rather my dollar go to an individual than a corporation.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No SOT stamp, don't need one.  I have a Form 1 with the stamp.  I heard Steve did good work, but he also said "The last person I know that cut one too short, was at Ruby Ridge"  I found that kinda attitude a big turn off.  

Chris at H&H was more than willing to do it for me (he clearly has a good understanding of the law), but I was told it would be a month.  Since they've had my Kahr in for repair for 3 months now (don't ask), I'm a little skeptical of that estimate.  Plus I'd rather my dollar go to an individual than a corporation.

I've never known Steve to be a smart ass. That just isn't his style.
He's one of the helpful people that ever shot at the OKC Gun Club. He was one hell of a president.
I'm sorry he wouldn't do the job for you.
He does excellent work.
I've got a shotgun barrel I need to have him thread. I'll pay him a visit in the future and I'll ask him about cutting the barrels back.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Well maybe I caught him on a bad day or maybe he didn't take a shine to me.  Whatever the reason, it's his perogative to turn down work.

I called Charles at Red Dirt Armory.  Cutting down a SxS was beyond his ability, but he did refer my to Roy of R&S in Moore.  I spoke with Roy and he is happy to do the work and quoted me a reasonable price and turn around time.  I'll be paying him a visit in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
damn, I didn't know R&S was still open
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
damn, I didn't know R&S was still open

Definately still open.  Stopped by there today and dropped of the barrels to be cut.  Roy was in the store along with an assistant, both were busy working when I came in.  He doesn't have much inventory, just some basics.  His focus, it appears, is on gunsmithing.   Roy seemed like a fine guy and we chatted for twenty minutes or more.

Roy's going to chop my barrels to 8 1/2" for me, fill the space between the barrels, reinstall a bead (just for kicks) and touch-up blue the area.  $35 plus the bead, a damn fair price.  Said it should take a week, or less.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Roy finished up the work for me in just 1 day.  He did a pretty good job for me.  Here's a pic of the finished gun.

Click on this thread for build details and more pics

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#12]

That looks damn nice!!!!!  

Mel Gibson would love it!
You didn't see Road Warrior by any chance?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I see a new traveling partner………………..Nice.. Glad that you where able to get it done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top