Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 2:59:34 PM EDT
I went to Circuit City the other day, looking for a single disk Onkyo CD player. Nothing fancy, just a deck to go with the rest of my gear. The clerk asked what all I already had, and I used the word "phonograph" in a sentence. He said "I'm sorry, but what is a phonograph." I explained that it's a fancy word for record player. He still had a blank look on his face, it made me feel like an intellectual giant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
shoulda told him all about LP's, once that was said, you could then explained the difference between 33's and 78's LP's and thrown 45's in just to make it interesting,

fuckmefunny, back in the day a good turntable with an excellent needle running through a good rack system and speakers was every bit if not a bit more as good sounding as a off the shelve CD system of today,

hell you could even put an excellent diamond tipped needle on a run of the mill hi-fi and make it sound great as long as the vinyl wasn't scratched too much, because it would pick up any inperfection on the records surface;

hell even the CD player's being sold today suck ass, they got plastic lenes instead of the glass lenes of the one's sold in the late 80's early 90's,

you can't tell the difference unless your running them through a good rack and speaker combo though, but an old glass lens will pick up much better than a new plastic lenes will.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using an Onkyo tuner, have a loop antenna for that. Will be making noise with a set of Audiophile 7 Pi 18's. Trying to decide if I want to build some tube amps or not.

For the front room, I have a 6 disk dvd/cd changer, Onkyo surround processer, and Onkyo receiver. It will be making noise with a pair of Pi Speakers Theatre 4's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top