Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT
I'm actually feeling guilty for not taking Ol' Bud deer hunting this afternoon. So I'll guess I'll get off my dead ass, pick him up, and head out into the wheat fields. It's a pain to take him, but I'm pretty sure it's less of a pain not feeling guilty about it.
I sure hope we don't see any deer!
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#1]
hell I'm feeling just the opposite Dan,

today I feel good, good and mean..................been a long time since I felt this happy;

you know the kind of happy where all your sences get really keen, where you can see clearer, hear better, feel stronger, fart louder, piss farther, run faster, hit harder;

the kind of good and happy to where you know if a chunk of the big blue yonder fell outta the sky it'd just bounce off you and burst into flames,

yeah man, thats the kind of happy I feel today, but its fleeting, just means that something shitties gonna happen in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Brother L, after I got Bud out into the fields, he and I both felt good. I've spent many an hour  watching wheat grow with him during the last 7 or 8 deer seasons. Didn't see a damn thing, but he and I did enjoy being out there.
We laughed, cussed each other, drank a beer, and watched the wheat grow. I got lucky - no deer came into the wheat.
Then I would have had to work and that wouldn't have been any fun!
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
glad you two had a good time
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
glad you two had a good time

Thanks, posi!

Here's the old man in the truck, holding a 24 oz Budweiser and 30/30 with a deer feeder and wheat field visible out the window.

Edited to add:
I had one drink from the beer, then finished my Sprite! The old man drank the rest.
And his gun DID not have one in the chamber!
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm waiting for some brave souls to show up here and tell you that guns and alcohol don't mix Dan.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm waiting for some brave souls to show up here and tell you that guns and alcohol don't mix Dan.

the hell they don't, they're like bread and butter, milk and honey, stripers and cops, hookers and blow, eek and meek ect.,

how else do you expect people to get targets to shoot at.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the hell they don't, they're like bread and butter, milk and honey, stripers and cops, hookers and blow, eek and meek ect.,

how else do you expect people to get targets to shoot at.

Sex and alcohol are much more dangerous.......the results can be a disaster.......no offence 1shott!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Is Bud your dad or what?  He don't look real happy about being there, either.    

Maybe he was running out of beer?  

What's the story here?  They let you hunt deer out of your truck drinking a beer?  [shocked]

Cause if that's the case, I'm moving to OK right this minute, job or not!  

Fill in a (hopefully soon to be OK) guy on the story, eh?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Bud is the neighbor next to my farm. He is now in a nursing home. He will be 105 yo next February.
He has been deer hunting with me for around 7 or 8 years. I've hunted his place for years and asked if he wanted to go with me.  He jumped at the chance. He had bought a 30/30 because he saw and heard a mountain lion on his property. May or may not be true, but I believe him. So we've been hunting ever since.
The good friend whose land we are on doesn't mind me taking Bud and hunting from the truck with him. Her husband was a dear friend, now gone, and she relies on her renter and me to keep the fences and place up. Around 640 acres.
About Bud, e killed a doe at age 99, a nice 8 pt buck at 101, and another 6 pt buck last year at 103.
His family is all long gone, he is a funny guy and a blast to be around. I'm white, he is "old school" black, and it is an odd mixture. But we are best of friends and I care for the old man a great deal.
But I have to lift him into the truck and out again. Last year, I shot a buck in the field, got the truck as close as I could to the wheat, then starting dragging the buck across the field.
Here comes the old man, 103, gonna help me drag the deer. His legs were giving him trouble but he was coming to help me with that deer. He has "backbone", more so than most could ever know or perceive.
Up to 2 years ago, he was going strong but then his legs started going. Probably from prostate cancer. He is too old to be cut on, so they are letting it run it's course. Not much pain for him, but he can't hold his water, walk or stand.
It is the worst of situations for him - the mind is willing, but the body is too worn.
And his other partner, the one that coon hunted with him up into his mid-90s, just died a few months ago.
He has many friends, but very few close friends.
I'm not his family, can't even come close. But I can be as good a friend to him as I possibly can and will be till he goes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
105....That's one hell of a life..I'm sure he's got a lot of stories locked away..some good...some bad..good on ya for letting him have a little fun in his last years.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
he just seems like the type that has forgotten more than we will ever know. glad you take time for him, and i'm sure he appreciates it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top