Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 1:35:06 PM EDT
There's a possibility of a job move to OK State in the Fall.   My wife and I have visited once a few days ago, but thought I'd ask the OK hometown also.

Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think its okay...I work in Stillwater so I really can't tell you much.

If you live in the city limits you can get a ticket for parking in you own yard....you have to park in the driveway or road. I think thats BS  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you live in the city limits you can get a ticket for parking in you own yard....you have to park in the driveway or road. I think thats BS

Big deal. Most municipalities in Oklahoma have this ordinance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big deal. Most municipalities in Oklahoma have this ordinance.

I didn't know that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I lived there in college, and always thought it would be a good town to live in other than just college.  It is a growing town with a small town feel.  It has all of the stores and restaurants as large cities.

Plus it has Eskimo Joes.......
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
They have a very good fire department. Other than that, I couldn't tell you much about it. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I lived there in college, and always thought it would be a good town to live in other than just college.  It is a growing town with a small town feel.  It has all of the stores and restaurants as large cities.

Plus it has Eskimo Joes.......

thats the way Norman used to be, without eskimo joes although, still fun though, just gotta watch out for all the cops.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a friend working on the Stillwater PD. He really likes the town and the people. I worked on the first expansion of the stadium in 1980. The town was still very rural in outlook at that time. Now it is more of a yuppie breeding ground than a farm town.
Overall, Stillwater is a pretty decent town.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Lived in Stillwater when I was in college and I grew up in Cushing ('bout 30 miles away).

Stillwater is a nice place. Small town feel with some of the larger city conveniences.
In reference to what Dan says, yeah, there's quite a few yuppies there, but it's all in who you associate with. Most folks there are still pretty much honest country types.

One thing about it, the population drops by about 20,000 when school is out.

With a handle like De-Professor, I'm assuming you'll be on staff at OkState. What will you be teaching?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lived in Stillwater when I was in college and I grew up in Cushing ('bout 30 miles away).

With a handle like De-Professor, I'm assuming you'll be on staff at OkState. What will you be teaching?

Yep.   Looking at a faculty position in the College of Education.

Thanks to all of the reply!

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely check out the stillwater rifle and pisol club.  They have a range on the west side of Lake McMurtry.  The range has been greatly expanded in the last few years.  It'll be even busier once the skeet range is setup (spring/summer 06).  What type of shooting do you do?  

They have an active cowboy section that shoots monthly matches.  They are starting black powder sihlouette (sp) this year.  IPSC-type steel matches are every few months although I'm hoping to help them happen more often this year.  The new rifle range has berms at 50,100,150, 200, and 500 yards.  The older rifle range is more established and has 100 yard target frames and shares a firing line with the 35 yard pistol range.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got a friend working on the Stillwater PD. He really likes the town and the people. I worked on the first expansion of the stadium in 1980. The town was still very rural in outlook at that time. Now it is more of a yuppie breeding ground than a farm town.
Overall, Stillwater is a pretty decent town.

Ask him WTF he was thinking for arresting Eddie????
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ask him WTF he was thinking for arresting Eddie????

You don't know how many times they let him go! When it gets reported, they have to do their jobs or be accused of giving preferential treatment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Definitely check out the stillwater rifle and pisol club.  They have a range on the west side of Lake McMurtry.  The range has been greatly expanded in the last few years.  It'll be even busier once the skeet range is setup (spring/summer 06).  What type of shooting do you do?  

They have an active cowboy section that shoots monthly matches.  They are starting black powder sihlouette (sp) this year.  IPSC-type steel matches are every few months although I'm hoping to help them happen more often this year.  The new rifle range has berms at 50,100,150, 200, and 500 yards.  The older rifle range is more established and has 100 yard target frames and shares a firing line with the 35 yard pistol range.  

This is great!!!! Now all I need to do is secure the job!

"What type of shooting do you do? "

I'm mainly an IDPA type shooter -- however, I'll try about anything.

Sounds like a great setup.....    

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
You're probably looking at driving to OKC or Tulsa for most IDPA/USPSA type matches.   It's a yearly membership club, but you can join throughout the year.  You can shoot by yourself after going through the range safety class.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.   Looking at a faculty position in the College of Education.

Thanks to all of the reply!

My graduate degree is from the OSU college of Education.  I don't know the name of the department now because they've all been reorganized but it was Applied Behavioral Studies in Education when I was there.  School Psychology was my area of emphasis.

Stillwater is a nice little town, especially if you have a family.  For me, the biggest draw in Stillwater is a little Chinese restaraunt called Leo's Peking Place.  It's in a strip mall called "Cowboy Corner" on Hall of Fame just north of campus.   Their General Tso's chicken and egg rolls are THE BEST!!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Stillwater Sux...Ha....Oh, but then I'm an OU fan.

Really though, Stillwater is a nice little town, its just OSU I don't like.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top