Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 3:14:42 PM EDT
I got an SA 85  kit delivered today. Hungarian like the AMD 65s but with a 16 in barrel and regualar wood forearms. Looks to be in excellent mechanical shape, all matching numbers, but with quite a bit of rack wear. Centerfire Systems had AK mags 4 for $20 so I ordered another 8 mags with the kit.
I decided not to put a Romanian kit on one of the Global receivers I have. Two more to build on the Globals, the SA 85 and an AMD - undecided to go pistol or rifle. I've got the parts to do both in rifles. I might build the pistol and get in nickeled like Santanatwo did.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd build'em both into rifles, and use one of the romies to build a pistol outta, AMDs make way to nice of rifles to build them into pistols, I'm gonna use the jacked up romie I built to make a pistol, gonna cut the barrel down to 8.5", and go from there, aceface posted a way to use a drill press as a lathe to size for the GB, and I can shorten the gas piston and reweld.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted: I got an SA 85  kit delivered today.

I knew I should've driven by your place earlier today Dan to make a pick up...hehe
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The sight block is dented, the lower handguard is slightly split on the inside where it was driven into the receiver. Other than that, it should make a fairly good AK. I'm going to put the Ace folder I have on it. I can always go back to the wood if I want.
Brother L, we broke the barrel pin loose and the barrel out a little while ago. I may hop on this SA 85 pretty quick. The AMD 65 kit - I may wait. I bought a AK74 type muzzle extension instead of using the Tapco or the original flash hider with an extension. I've got the extension silver soldered onto the original brake if someone needs one already set up for an AMD 65 rifle build.
I've got two real nice AMD 65 rifle set ups (Global receivers) already with the Tapco flash hiders.
And one beater on a Ohio Ordnance receiver. So I am LONG on AMDs - 3 rifles and 3 pistols. The AMDs make outstanding pistols - one nickeled might be a nice addition.
I may trade the Romy off - the barrel pin is out and the barrel separated from the trunnion. I've not messed with the rear cut - the rivets are still in the trigger guard/rear stock block. John, my partner, is talking like he wants it. I've already got one Romy and its OK, but not my favorite AK.
I'm going to have to bring my stuff down some day and a case of beer and we can build, drink, and shoot the shit!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds like a plan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top