Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 8:04:15 PM EDT
Smith & Wesson's rifle the M&P15.  Any info on this rifle from anyone??  Do you think its compatible with other makers(Colt,Bushie,...) parts?

Bottom line........will it sell?

Dave
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
S&W is over priced ar15 if a person going to pay $1700 for AR15 the wilson combat  has more bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree on the price.   Just didn't know about quality, heck, even reliability?
It seems to me a new product would be priced a little lower to get the market going.  Maybe even a few (good) reviews, then jack-up the price.  If it flops, I would think the price would drop along with production.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at them at H and H in OKC.  They had the tactical model for $1299.  It was nice.  It had the free float quad rail forend, flip sights, etc.  I believe the sights were Troy, but had smith logos on them.  The rifle appeared to be of very good quality and the trigger felt good.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Dr.Baker,   When I'm back in OKC, I go to H&H and take a gander at these rifles!!!!

Hmmmmmm, "Dr/Doctor", as in PhD or M.D. or both or DVM, D.O. or........well you get the picture.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a doc.  Still working on my MBA.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good,  I'll start on my Masters this summer.  The wife FINALLY finished her PhD in environmental science....(no shes not one of those @#$* tree huggers)!!!

Dave
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
875 ~ is dc on the cheaper models..... 1186...on the tactical....

an ar is an ar if you ask me.... unless your building something special or you just want the name.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks acman,  I kinda agree, just wandering about S&W coming out of the chute on an AR15.
Do they really want to make a good product,diversify,or help flood the market with another AR15??

Dave
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
yea. no flame intended if it came off that way..... i didn't really mean it to sound as smart ass as it did after i read it  
i'm just not hung up on names when it comes to AR's..... if it's reliable and what i'm looking for... i'm all about affordable..

I won't derail your thread with the AR stuff i'm interested in ..... i need to do at least one serious post every now and then....... but i have my eyes on some new RRA offerings myself.....i'm off to start a diffrent thread
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

an ar is an ar if you ask me.... unless your building something special or you just want the name.....

I'm not the most experienced here, but I dug around on the EE for a while to get an estimated cost of building a somewhat identical rifle to the tactical model.

complete lower w/6pos stock $250
upper, bolt carrier group $215
handguard (daniel defense/la rue/etc) $275
troy flip sights $245
barrel and gas block $240
rail covers $20

Total $1245  vs the MP15 price of $1299

I'm sure some of the prices are off a little, but I think it's about what the average joe would pay for the same quality, equivalent parts to those of the MP15.

I would consider spending the extra money.  You get a case, magazine, papers, and complete warranty.  Plus no headaches from dealing with 6 different vendors at one time and did I mention I can't stand to wait for anything.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
beats me man an AR is an AR, I built a SS barreled, free float tube, entry stocked A4 carbine for 6 bills outta of a M1S kit on a ameetec lower, mounted a 502 eotech on it that I picked up at OA for $230 OTD, coulda done it for just a bit more if I went with the J&T kit, but I didn't know about those guys at the time, accuracys fine for what I use it for, but of course I like my ARs plain, don't really care for a bunch of stuff hanging off of one, adds too much weight, if I want to lug aheavy AR around I'd carry my 10 all the time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not the most experienced here, but I dug around on the EE for a while to get an estimated cost of building a somewhat identical rifle to the tactical model.

complete lower w/6pos stock $250
upper, bolt carrier group $215
handguard (daniel defense/la rue/etc) $275
troy flip sights $245
barrel and gas block $240
rail covers $20

Total $1245  vs the MP15 price of $1299

I'm sure some of the prices are off a little, but I think it's about what the average joe would pay for the same quality, equivalent parts to those of the MP15.

I would consider spending the extra money.  You get a case, magazine, papers, and complete warranty.  Plus no headaches from dealing with 6 different vendors at one time and did I mention I can't stand to wait for anything.

like i said in the post above this one.......

yea. no flame intended if it came off that way..... i didn't really mean it to sound as smart ass as it did after i read it
i'm just not hung up on names when it comes to AR's..... if it's reliable and what i'm looking for... i'm all about affordable..

if it's what you want and you feel it's the right price have at it....
My whole thing with ar's is a factory stock ar will outshoot 95 % of the people who own them.myself included.... the rest is about accesories and product name....

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

if it's what you want and you feel it's the right price have at it....
My whole thing with ar's is a factory stock ar will outshoot 95 % of the people who own them.myself included.... the rest is about accesories and product name....

Ed Zackery
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
The dealer I buy form the most can get Smiths M4 version for $950 +tax. It also has the fat front handguards as well as a LIFETIME warrenty. Bushy only offers a 1 year.

The Railed version of teh mith AR is selling for $1200 to $1300.

The Smith is in the price range of other ARs out in the market.

Yes, I intend to buy one.

Hell I building my own also and allready have $2083 in the damn thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not even going to get started here.....except that you won't see the 357/44 Baine and Davis wildcat cartridge in a S.& W. because of the weak frames.....and if you do they're newer models with good metal..... I also see it as an AR is an AR.... unless you're customizing it then I can understand spending that much money to make this rifle unique ....,but other than that....news flash......the ban has lifted and they're not worth $1800 bucks for a run of the mill looks like every other "M4 profile" you can get.....sorry, I said I wouldn't get started but I get sensitive about some things....lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm not even going to get started here.....except that you won't see the 357/44 Baine and Davis wildcat cartridge in a S.& W. because of the weak frames.....and if you do they're newer models with good metal..... I also see it as an AR is an AR.... unless you're customizing it then I can understand spending that much money to make this rifle unique ....,but other than that....news flash......the ban has lifted and they're not worth $1800 bucks for a run of the mill looks like every other "M4 profile" you can get.....sorry, I said I wouldn't get started but I get sensitive about some things....lol

thats cause your  a go find the bread thread you can swap recipies......
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The dealer I buy form the most can get Smiths M4 version for $950 +tax. It also has the fat front handguards as well as a LIFETIME warrenty. Bushy only offers a 1 year.

I thought you had $2083.58 in it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought you had $2083.58 in it?

I stopped counting the change.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
ARs are nice, but REAL men have M14 variants!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Is that why you only have AK's???

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AKs, ARs, and M14s. Never could make up my mind which I really like best!
May have the real thing coming - a GI issue M14 if I can swing the deal!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would it have the happy switch?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would it have the happy switch?

It don't matter if it do. I can add one. It has to be registered as an NFA anyway, whether or not it comes with it.
I don't know if you've ever shot one with the switch on, but they ain't for shit in accuracy after the second shot, no telling where round 3 or 4 will be at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I want any lip out of you I'll pull down your pants!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I want any lip out of you I'll pull down your pants!

The only lip you'll find there is residue from your GF when i'm in town
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Boys, be nice!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Boys, be nice!

Dan you're just jealous cause we're givin you hell about your Broke Knee Adventures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top