Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 5:22:25 PM EDT
I'm wanting to go hog hunting. I've hunted everything know to man except hogs. Does anyone know any public or private land to hunt them on. I'm also looking for a good guided hunt in Oklahoma also. I've found a place that has resonable prices. Anyone been on any pay hunts?

www.oklahomaboarhunters.com/
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Z, out west you can find places to hunt the hogs. We hunted them west of Ardmore on the south side of the Arbuckles 10 or more years ago. If you get up north and west around Seiling, you'll find some ranchers that will let you hunt them. Advertise in the local paper up there that you are looking for a hog hunt.
This time of year they will have been eating acorns and will be rank as hell if you are wanting meat!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Z, out west you can find places to hunt the hogs. We hunted them west of Ardmore on the south side of the Arbuckles 10 or more years ago. If you get up north and west around Seiling, you'll find some ranchers that will let you hunt them. Advertise in the local paper up there that you are looking for a hog hunt.
This time of year they will have been eating acorns and will be rank as hell if you are wanting meat!

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure where you are at but I live in Tulsa so I hunt several WMAs around here. I've gone on one pay hunt for hogs and it was $200.00 and I took a nice boar on the 2nd day. Just moved to Tulsa a little more than a year ago and have taken one sow about 200 lbs. at Eufaula WMA with my muzzleloader, while deer hunting. I've seen 2 others which I didn't take a shot on on later hunts. If you aren't too far away from there I could show you where I've seen them & we just might see one or two. They are harder to find than their sign is though.

They were under a lot of hunting pressure from all of the deer hunting so most of the time they were nocturnal. Its been over 3 weeks since I have been hunting so I need to get out there next weekend. Again your welcome if you can make it, sorry I don't have any private land to hunt on, darn it,ha.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not sure where you are at but I live in Tulsa so I hunt several WMAs around here. I've gone on one pay hunt for hogs and it was $200.00 and I took a nice boar on the 2nd day. Just moved to Tulsa a little more than a year ago and have taken one sow about 200 lbs. at Eufaula WMA with my muzzleloader, while deer hunting. I've seen 2 others which I didn't take a shot on on later hunts. If you aren't too far away from there I could show you where I've seen them & we just might see one or two. They are harder to find than their sign is though.

They were under a lot of hunting pressure from all of the deer hunting so most of the time they were nocturnal. Its been over 3 weeks since I have been hunting so I need to get out there next weekend. Again your welcome if you can make it, sorry I don't have any private land to hunt on, darn it,ha.

We might take you up on that. We have a lake house there in Spinnaker Point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
around here without dogs it's a straight out luck thing but their all over the red river
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it me or is it bullshit to charge by the weight of the hog?

I seen one hog hunting operation on the web and they hunt with dogs.....the catch is that you shoot the hog that the dogs chase down...and if over 200 lbs YOU pay a trophy fee.You have a choice..shoot it or pay to watch it run off and end your hunt.

Do you think they have many hogs under 200 lbs? I don't.

I seen 20+ hogs the other day by the cimmiron river..about 2-3 miles East of Coyle. There was only one nice hog and he/she was moving fast. The others looked like 50-125 lbs.  And as said before ,they probably won't  taste very good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Dodge - I've seen a 350 lb hog taken in eastern OK. I've shot a 80 lb in early October and it was fairly good to eat. The younger ones will taste better in the spring - the old ones are tough no matter what time of year you hunt them. April, early May is a good time to hunt them - better taste due to the fresh greenery they eat. I don't consider a big wild hog a "trophy" and paying to hunt them seems a little ridiculous.
I've heard of some hogs have been seen east of Kingfisher lately. Didn't know they were that close in Coyle to the east! Hmm, I may have hogs in my back yard soon!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
How was musk ox?

Quoted:
I'm wanting to go hog hunting. I've hunted everything know to man except hogs. Does anyone know any public or private land to hunt them on. I'm also looking for a good guided hunt in Oklahoma also. I've found a place that has resonable prices. Anyone been on any pay hunts?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How was musk ox?

Quoted:

I flew over them on a plane salvage across the Brooks Range. Dingleberries come to mind. I could almos tsmell them from the air
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never been hog hunting but I'm sure ACmanTaurus and 1shott have done some hog huntin in thier days, especially after the alcohol gets to runnin through thier southern viens.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've never been hog hunting but I'm sure ACmanTaurus and 1shott have done some hog huntin in thier days, especially after the alcohol gets to runnin through thier southern viens.

hell I've hunted them kinda hogs, and I wasn't even drunk, but back to the sque....gru...ea...., four legged wild ones, I wouldn't mind huntin some if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
did you get a chance to hunt for Dall's sheep up there? Its my dream hunt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Are we about to get into a group hog hunt? And I mean the type with 4 legs that can be made into sausage!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are we about to get into a group hog hunt? And I mean the type with 4 legs that can be made into sausage!

I am down with a group hunt.   I also use to be a butcher incase we need to cut some shit up or something.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I guided sevaeral sheep hunts. It is the most gruelling hunt there is. You have to be in great shape. We were luck to take several nice sheep last summer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:37:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guided sevaeral sheep hunts. It is the most gruelling hunt there is. You have to be in great shape. We were luck to take several nice sheep last summer.

I'm willing to bet Dan has the supreme conditioning it takes for a latex sheep hunt......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top