Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 6:30:01 PM EDT
He shoots, and BAM one dead DOE.......

I went on a scouting trip to check out a very large creek bottom, and it is smoking, lots fo tracks, hot trails, fresh rubs and lots of fresh wet deer shit....,

My buddy and I scouted out the bottom area and headed back up on top of the ridge where we parked our ATVs..

I decided to sit up on the ridge for abit before heading out, and sure enough, 7 does came walking in on a trail, heading towards the trail leading to the creek bottom, I took aim and stuck the largest doe of the group, she dressed at 110, she ran about 60 yards and dropped, and rolled down the ridge to towards the creek bottom, THANK GOD FOR ATVs......that would have been a nasty drag up that hill.

That was just about dark, well after dark by the time I got her out and checked in and to a processor.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding!
Bowhunting is too tough for me now! Sitting in a tree stand for hours in cold, wet weather makes me hurt all over. But there is nothing like the rush you get when the deer come in range! Your breathing rate picks up, the heart beats faster, the sweat pops out on your brow as you pull back and concentrate on that "sweet spot", the release of the arrow bringing great anticipation of the hit, then watching the deer jump on the hit!
Then watching to see which direction the deer went, then the waiting for it to bleed out!
Then a BIG GRIN when you find it piled up!
Happiness is a warm pile of steaming guts!
I wish I could have been there to see your smile!
Good for you, R.!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
ummmm....  pics?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry no pics, I did not have a camera with me. If it had been a decent buck, I would have came home for the camera and took a few pics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]
damn, I guess I'm too cheap, I'm the only guy I know that cleans and cuts up my deer, everyone else I know takes'm to the processor, I guess I just hate paying the $60 bucks or so for something I can do myself in a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
damn, I guess I'm too cheap, I'm the only guy I know that cleans and cuts up my deer, everyone else I know takes'm to the processor, I guess I just hate paying the $60 bucks or so for something I can do myself in a couple of hours.

I hate paying that too, but I don't have my own grinder, and like the beef suet that my processor adds to the meat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't make a lot of burger outta mine, mostly cut it into steaks and roast and stew sized chunks, for the steaks I sprinkle it with mint and thyme and drizzle some virgin olive oil on it  and put it in the fridge over night, then throw it on the grill over mesquet coals till its medium rare, for the roast, I either inject it with teryaki or soy sauce and let it marinate overnight, or I'll give it a liberal coat of olive oil and mint and thyme and inject it with puriee'd garlic and put it in the smoker with mesquet wood for 50min a pound, if I cook it in the oven, I put a heavy coat of course black pepper and bake it at 325deg till internal temp reaches 145deg then let it set for 20min before carving.

all my recipes are for medium rare, if deers cooked to well done, it gets tough and chewy, theres also some pretty good recipes for lamb that work well with the deer meat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Ndenway, I have a large hand grinder for venison, size 32 throat, with hamburger and chili plates you can borrow if you want! Be more than glad to let you use if you promise to be safe and not get your "pork chop" caught up in it!
I've kind of gotten into the habit of boiling various cuts of venison in strong coffee, with salt and onions added, then putting it into a crock pot with KC BBQ sauce and cooking it SLOW. Usually gets ate up quick!
I used to butcher all my deer but momma got a little upset when she found the dog (our pit bull) Katie hanging off of a deer haunch in the garage. That kind of put an end to me butchering deer.
Poor Katie didn't get to come into the house for about 2 weeks after that. Me and her both were literally in the "dog house" for quite a while.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad to hear it . At least some one is getting in some field time. I am to busy with build's right now.have      
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Glad to hear it . At least some one is getting in some field time. I am to busy with build's right now.

Ndenway: I do my own as well as po' folk have po' way's! If danc46 let's you borrow his grinder, make sure you don't get your pork chop in it as I may want to borrow it next and I don't like pork chop's anyway!

my pork chops for chicks only, and even if I can spare an inch here or there, I definatly watch getting it caught in a grinder or anything else that may cause it irreputible harm, as for being poor, I have been at the Jesus' house door step a time or two, but thats not it, I'm just cheap and hate to pay for something I've always done for myself that don't cost me nothing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top